Thread: Wood for labor

Wood for labor

My mom and dad finally decided to hire a guy to come chop down some trees of theirs that have been on the way out for about 10 years now. Ants at the base, lots of large, dying limbs up high, etc. One is a pear, one is a really big red elm and one is a nice ash. The pear and part of the elm are down, but the guy running the operation has what I wouldn't call Employee of the Year. He put gas in the boom-truck's diesel and ran it until it seized. Oops! Anyways, I went down and helped the folks move the pear and parts of the elm to the burn pile and selected a bunch for myself. This is just five or six trunk sections. The big stuff is still in the trunk, he'll be dropping that soon. It's about 40" in diameter. I've also got several more trunk sections to process at my dad's acreage. Some is also getting kept for smoking, some for small boards to make a jewelry box for my daughter and some for a buddy who makes knives and needs some scales. Really pretty wood when fresh. Hope is holds at least some of it's color. I look forward to getting some red elm too. That tree is probably 100 years old and has a diameter of something like 6 or 7 feet. Hopefully there's some nice solid hollow form material in there. Anyways, thought I'd brag. Now to wait for it to dry a bit (it's sealed). If anyone is around Sioux City, IA shoot me a PM, I'm sure dad wouldn't shoo anyone away who is taking some of the heavy stuff off his hands. He's too old to be moving that stuff around anyways. I'm glad I could help and show my kids a good day of hard work on the acreage. They don't get that enough living in town. pear wood 1.jpgpearwood 2.jpg
    USMC '97-'01

Nice haul! Cutting up green wood is one of my favorite hobbies! That may be unfortunate since I am getting overrun with wood! (I dry everything, turning some now drying for over 10 years) In the last couple of weeks I've been cutting up maple and cherry. This is about 1/3 of it and I'm not done yet - this stack is some ambrosia maple:

ambrosia_maple_IMG_20171202_175649_933.jpg

I hate processing logs. The only thing I like about it is thinking about the block on the lathe. I have to say, those square bowls are SHARP. I have got to try making one of those.
    USMC '97-'01

Small "squarish" dished platters

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Petersen View Post
    I hate processing logs. The only thing I like about it is thinking about the block on the lathe. I have to say, those square bowls are SHARP. I have got to try making one of those.
    Thanks! I've made a number of those for gifts. I don't know if you saw when I posted these before but here are a few older ones:

penta_maple_ellis_IMG_5435.jpg penta_plate_walnut_IMG_46.jpg penta_plates_comp_small.jpg

The first two I gave to some friends in Italy, the cedar one in the last picture was the first one I made. I draw a template with long compass, cut out on the bandsaw, then sand the edges smooth with a disk sander. I've made five more in the last couple of weeks, different woods, sizes, and trying different designs. Most are about 9" across but some as small as 7.5". I start with a 1.5" or 2" thick block, mount from the top in a screw chuck like I'd normally turn a bowl, turn a recess and the bottom. Since these are hard to hold to finish the bottom at the end I add some detail on the base to disguise the recess and simply leave it in the piece. No one has objected so far!

One perhaps interesting thing. This girl wanted to make a present for her sister. She has been to my shop for two lessons so far so this will be her third lathe experience (no lathe at home). She picked the small "squarish dished platter" which is a bit challenging for a beginner. Fortunately she is a quick learner and in just a few minutes mastered fine bevel-rubbing cuts using a Hunter Hercules tool, even the delicate cuts on the wings. Not one catch or even a mistake, even when cutting on the far side with the lathe running in reverse! As of tonight the bottom is done and the top is almost done. Turning this from dry 2" cherry.

Kristina_platter_IMG_20171203_174739_798.jpg Kristina_IMG_20171205_182119_580.jpg

If someone has not turned "air" that might be the hardest thing but really no problem with sharp tools and a steady hand. I use hand scrapers to remove any tool marks (there are always marks on the wings!) then sand by hand with 400 or 600 paper before finishing. Good clean fun!

The next time you're out for a Sunday drive stop by East TN with some logs and I'll cut them up. I trim with an electric chainsaw if needed then cut the chunks up on my 18" bandsaw. If someone comes with a truckload it's a lot quicker (and easier on the back!) to do most of it on the sawmill. This friend loved to turn bowls!

sawmill_small.jpg sawmill_blocks.jpg

JKJ

JKJ
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 12-05-2017 at 11:30 PM.

Impressive on all fronts John! I appreciate the open invite though I don't travel very often.
    USMC '97-'01