Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is this a good deal on a set of usable Stanley planes?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Taran View Post
    Scott,

While I agree that the list of planes is a good deal, you need to stop spending your time looking on CL and get into the hundreds of antique shops near where you live. Adamstown, Morgantown, and your hometown of Lancaster are loaded with antique malls and tons of planes. You are at ground zero for old tools, most other folks can't even imagine how good the pickings are there.

Pete
    You are so very right Pete! It'll be some time before I can dedicate any free time to shopping around at various shops trying to score a good deal. Now that I have basically every plane I'll need (minus a small block plane and a low angle) I will probably poke my head around various antique stores to look for some other hand tools like saws and wooden planes

Scott,

Once you do, you need to learn the timeless practice of upgrading and hoarding. That leads to selling and 20 years from now you will be an OT vendor.

Well I brought them home earlier today, and must say these things were even nicer in person. Outside of the old user marks on 2 of them they are pretty damn near flawless given their age. All of them had irons in great shape outside of the #4 which I just had to use some 80 grit and grind a new bevel because there were a few nicks in the cutting edge. Worked it all the way up to 1200 grit, and will hit it with the 4000/8000 water stone when it gets delivered

Scott,

It sounds better now that you have described them than it did before! Given what you said, "Ya did good!"

Glad you did well. Beyond that, you should be able to enjoy using them for years, and if not dropped, you should be able to leave or give them to kids or grandkids.

Congrats!

Stew

Blog Entries
    +1 on what Stew said.

Will you be able to post some pictures?

Shaving, show us some shavings

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)