Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Said I wasn’t going to buy into the Festool brand...

Said I wasn’t going to buy into the Festool brand...

and I did - purchased for face frame construction.

So far very impressed with CT36 and Domino 500.

Below is my first test joint that took one minute to produce:

6_ED14_CFD-432_E-4_BE6-_AD6_E-_D5_D412813_FAC.jpg

2_CF8105_A-8026-4995-960_B-_A2_A0_BF480236.jpg

It’s actually so easy that it feels a bit like I’m cheating.

(I can only line up about 8/10 pocket holes squarely after cranking down)

Welcome to the club. You are done for. Crack is bad. I only care because I am an addict too!

Quality tools that do what they do well will never cost more than the alternative...I have zero regrets about any of my Festool purchases, at least once I put them to work and then use them for years and years and years. In fact, I'm about to push the button on a Domino 700XL, myself...something I've wanted for a long time.

While using the Domino certainly isn't "cheating" it most certainly IS a fast and accurate way to do strong tenon-based joinery. Congrats!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Sorry friend, you’re done. I started with a track saw and vacuum and it’s exploded from there. A true case of the sum being greater than the parts as I’ve found, in addition to superior quality and operation in many cases, I’m able to take advantage of interoperability. Especially wrt tracks.

Nice!
    Congrats on your new tool.
    I know I want to look at the their vac's when my Fein Turbo II goes.
    I started with one of their routers. The OF2200.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Just made the first joints with my new Domino 500. Looking at the Rote now!!!

I'm still learning how to incorporate the Domino into my normal way of doing things. Definitely will improve the quality of your projects I can say for sure.

The tools are one thing and there's still hope for you - it's when you develop a taste for systainers that you're irredeemably consumed.

I use my DF 500 on almost all my projects. Just so fast and accurate, I would like to add the DF 700 one day.

I am resisting too but have a couple little things (hand sander you can hook to a vacuum (very nice for drywall) and the quick clamp for on a workbench. I like my DeWalt track saw and am happy I didn't go green on that purchase but the Domino is probably in my future. It is also something no other manufacturer offers. I wish I had one right now for a bed I am making. I think they are over priced but they have great ideas too.

Some interesting accessories/non OEM add-ons for the Domino 500 and 700: http://www.senecawoodworking.com/collections/all

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Newman View Post
    Some interesting accessories/non OEM add-ons for the Domino 500 and 700: http://www.senecawoodworking.com/collections/all
    I did mount the domiplate before using it - same day delivery (thanks Amazon) I had read somewhere how great it is and I concur.
    I like all these other accessories- had no idea. Thanks.

Yea, Seneca has created some very helpful accessories for the Domino world...I plan on investing in the setup to be able to use the D500 cutters in my now-ordered D700 XL once I get a little learning in on the tool's "native" capabilities.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Rick Cristopherson's products for the Domino (SCG-10, MGS-20) have been pretty helpful. I think he discontinued both to work on a combination of the two that is supposed to be upcoming, but I'm not sure whether development stalled on that. If it does come to market, it will be a very handy add-on.
    www.dominoguide.com

No affiliation.

I've been using the Seneca RTS500 for a year or so and it has worked well for me. There are depth setting limitations on the 700 that require work-arounds.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius