Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Work Bench

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Pat,

To C.S.'s posts? White's plans? The video I found? Or my wonderful quickly built, simple, heavy, and cheap workbench?

ken
    How about to the White workbench that started you thinking?
    Last edited by Pat Barry; 12-06-2017 at 7:44 AM.

Blog Entries
    Pretty hilarious series!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Blog Entries
    You can find White's New Fangled Workbench, as Ken mentions by googling the words he provides. If that isn't working here is a link to YouTube video of a guy making one:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeJCc3QPUzU

It may be Ken's point that a workbench does not need to be complicated. The White design might be considered the opposite end of the spectrum of workbench design from Schwarz's designs, particularly his newer ones. Ken mentions his mantra, to build it fast and sturdy and get back to woodworking. Schwarz seems to have a fascination with simpler tools and designs, which he has obviously made a good living from for some time. Schwarz or C.S. has always used power tools and hand tools though, as the work seems to dictate and as many others on SMC do.

Ken & C.S. may be suggesting that tools should be a means to a goal not the goal.
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 12-06-2017 at 9:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Holbrook View Post
    You can find White's New Fangled Workbench, as Ken mentions by googling the words he provides. If that isn't working here is a link to YouTube video of a guy making one:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeJCc3QPUzU
    I figured that 'new fangled' was just Ken's term for it, not a real name. LOL

Blog Entries
    Ken I mentioned the Shigshop plans because they make some interesting modifications to the basic Schwarz Roubo design. I believe the bench I have seen in your pictures is a Schwarzy Roubo design.

I am in a state of flux as I am selling one house and moving to a much smaller space. Still working out where my shop and tools will live in the new space. Trying to modify what I have to make it: easier to break into pieces, easier to move around and sturdy enough to survive moving.

Back to actual projects.
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 12-06-2017 at 10:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    How about to the White workbench that started you thinking?
    Pat,

Mike did it for me.

Thanks Mike.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Holbrook View Post
    Ken I mentioned the Shigshop plans because they make some interesting modifications to the basic Schwarz Roubo design. I believe the bench I have seen in your pictures is a Schwarzy Roubo design.

I am in a state of flux as I am selling one house and moving to a much smaller space. Still working out where my shop and tools will live in the new space. Trying to modify what I have to make it: easier to break into pieces, easier to move around and sturdy enough to survive moving.

Back to actual projects.
    Mike,

I had a couple of minutes to look at the Shigshop Roubo plans. They are pretty standard Roubo. I'm not a fan of using screws, lag bolts, captured nuts, and such on my benches. My preferences are towards pegs, draw boring and other wood on wood means. It's not a big deal, both ways work.

You are correct, I've settled on French bones for my benches but with English aprons. It really does give me the best of both worlds and makes a simpler bench than either is alone. With each new bench build I've made the bench less complex, for the longest this last bench didn't have a tail vise and I never missed it. I added a English QR vise to the off end of the bench several months ago not because I wanted or needed a tail vise but because I needed to hold some work cross bench for sawing. I'm ashamed to admit it has turned out handy enough for that use I've kept it on the bench. There goes my simple and no extra vises on each corner mantra .

I know I will step on some toes but when I saw the White bench I thought it must have been a joke which was why I asked if it was published in April. BTW I still think it is a joke for working wood, great for seeing how many ways a person can hold a hunk of wood with a lot of monkey motion but for getting something done there are better benches that would be just as cheap and much easier and quicker to build.

Good luck on your move. The portable bench I built last Summer could be an answer to your need for a bench you can use during the move. It worked very well and was easy enough to move I could stick it in the motorhome's bins when needed.

ken