Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How often should I wash my outdoor dog?

How often should I wash my outdoor dog?

The dog in question is an American Foxhound, age two. She has a short coat of fur and seems to have a lot of oil in it. My grand daughter has been washing her every week or two for the past few months. After just a few days, when you pet her you need to wash your hands, and my wife is complaining about it. I am concerned that washing her may cause skin problems. My son has two pugs, and they got some skin disorder when washed too often.

Meet my shop dog, Pepper Oni Potter. She loves the shop and even the compressor doesn't scare her.

20161129_154538.jpg
    20161129_154439.jpg

She is always outdoors, along with a six year old (?) rescue yellow lab with a super thick coat. This dog has never been washed and her coat is beautiful and soft, and you don't need to wash your hands. My previous dog, a short haired black lab lived 16 years outside without a wash job, and was just fine, not oily.

Obviously this is a new problem for me. I would like to keep her clean, but don't want to cause her problems. I just discovered a self serve dog washing place that I could take her nearby. There I could wash her standing up, as it hurts me to be down on all fours.

So, is this oily skin normal in some dogs, and how often is safe to wash her.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 12-05-2017 at 12:42 PM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Most likely she is being washed too often. That is why her body is producing more oil to replace all that's being washed off. For a mainly outdoor dog, she should rarely be bathed - and mainly because she got into something that required a bath. (aka Skunk, engine oil, etc.) Along with the reduced bathing, you can also try changing her food and see if she is eating something that doesn't agree with her. Food that works great for your lab might not work well for Pepper.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

what food are they getting? We are feeding kirkland fish based to our Pyrenees and canadae life stages to our heelers. The fish based food has done a lot of good for our pyrs coat.

I would advise a discussion with your veterinarian.
    They would be the best resource to make a full and complete recommendation based on all possible factors.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Johnson View Post
    I would advise a discussion with your veterinarian.
    They would be the best resource to make a full and complete recommendation based on all possible factors.
    I agree, it could be a normal condition or there could be a problem. Best consult a professional.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Depends on the dog, breed, fur type, etc. If the dog is not dirty and does not smell, I don't think that you need to. If you do, choose your "shampoo" carefully. I believe that there are dog shampoos that do not even contain soap....

So, at your next vet visit, ask them about your specific dog to see if the oily part is something of concern. My wife wants to wash our dog all the time, and she HATES it, which prevents her from doing it all the time. To me the dog does not usually smell, but she loves the couch, so that always smells like "dog".... grumble...

I just made an appt with a vet to look her over, and treat for some ear mites we have not been able to control with mineral oil. So, I will ask all these questions of her Thursday.

I used to, for years, feed all my dogs Pedigree, with no problems at all. When we had a trainer work with Pepper, he recommended giving her Kirkland Signature dog food. We have been alternating between lamb and vegie, and beef and rice Signature food. I will look to see if they have any containing fish.

Thanks for the quick answers and suggestions,
    Rick
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Glad to hear you've made the appt. (I am a little biased...my fiance is a Lead Tech and Practice Manager for a veterinary clinic.)
    Be sure to include nutrition in your discussion there as well. Food plays a huge role in their overall health, and they're not all just trying to sell you food they stock.

I never wash my indoor/outdoor Bloodhound, the only time he looks dirty is when the humidity gets below 12%. He's fed Costco salmon and sweet potato in the blue bag.
    Rick

My wife and I have been fighting about this for years. I think they need the oil for protection; my wife thinks they need to smell better. The vet says it doesn't matter.
    We have compromised; she can wash them when it is warm enough that they don't need any protection, or cold enough that they won't be going in the water.

The only time I have ever given my hound dog (Treeing Walker Coon Hound) a bath is after she jumped into a swamp and came out smelling like it. Other than that, my wife or daughter will give her a bath from time to time because they think she stinks. I frankly never notice, and the oily fur comes back quickly. In fact, I think the oily fur is what lets hounds and for that matter, Labradors, shed dirt more easily - don't try that with a Golden Retriever or Collie!

I agree about consulting your Vet. Let us know what they recommend. Washing every week or two is way too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    The only time I have ever given my hound dog (Treeing Walker Coon Hound) a bath is after she jumped into a swamp and came out smelling like it. Other than that, my wife or daughter will give her a bath from time to time because they think she stinks. I frankly never notice ....
    I'm going to quote something a good friend of mine said to me recently : "This is so gender stereotypical !"

My vet says he only washes his outside dogs a couple of times a year.

Your dog's probably thinking "those humans with the smelly hand cream need a bath" This is a favorite cartoon.

"Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford