Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How often should I wash my outdoor dog?

Went to the self dog wash today, and cleaned up Pepper really good, then took her to the Vet. Turns out my diagnosis of ear mites was just plain wrong. She had some type of fungus in her ears for all this time. I suspect it was from when she spent a couple weeks at the trainers.

Anyway, the Vet cleaned her ears thoroughly, gave her a steroid shot, and prescribed some ear drops to give her for 7-10 days. When asked about the food, and possible allergies, he said he found no evidence of that, and told me the Kirkland Signature dry food should be fine, and not add to any oiliness in her coat. I am still going to try the Salmon mix next time, when I run out of the other.

As far as washing an outdoor dog, he said you could do it as often as every two weeks, and that he washes his about every two months. He also said many people never wash them, but he did not recommend that. My grand daughter (and daughter) teaches dyslexic kids here at the house. She would like to have Pepper inside with some of them, as it calms them, so if Pepper stays clean, that could happen. She would love the chance to be a part time house dog.

The medicine actually mentions an odor caused by the fungus, so I hope this might solve the problem of that also.

I will follow up, and let you know later.

Thanks for all the advice, what a great forum this is.
    Rick
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 12-08-2017 at 2:14 AM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Nice.
    Thanks for the follow up.

Coincidentally, I had to give our new kitten a bath last night. She fell in the toilet. :\