Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New workshop, new DC system

Smile New workshop, new DC system

We are building a new house. I was able to bury some 6 inch PVC in the stone before the basement floor was poured, an opportunity not to be missed!
    The single end of the Y will be under the stairs where the DC motor will be, one end goes to the table saw, the other to a miter saw station. The hose taped to the side is an air line. There is a seperate, smaller conduit bringing power to the table saw location. It took some splaining to the concrete guys but we got there.
    Attached Images Attached Images

You will be pleased with the results. Mine have been in use for a couple of years and I enjoy the convenience. They are the white stub ups. Enjoy your shop
    69F32FCC-5E32-48EF-968C-3CB3E8CBFB90.jpg

Blog Entries
    That's going to be a great shop space, but I don't see any poly or caps on the open pipe. I'd see to that before pouring cause concrete guys are gonna fill it otherwise, no matter what you tell them.

haha, well...I was there when they poured, it's all good.

Wow-you took it much further than I did, looks great. I'm not sure what I'll have for tools other than the table saw and miter saw so I'll complete the system once I know where things will be using pipe runs in the ceiling. The table saw will be an island so I really didn't want anything coming down from the overhead, the rest of the tools will be against a wall or a post so should be fine. How's that radiant heat?

Quote Originally Posted by sean meltvedt View Post
    You will be pleased with the results. Mine have been in use for a couple of years and I enjoy the convenience. They are the white stub ups. Enjoy your shop 69F32FCC-5E32-48EF-968C-3CB3E8CBFB90.jpg

Stan-this is house #5 & the first one with a dedicated shop. So even though house construction is old hat, the shop I was all new. So even now, I’m not sure things will stay the same. So in my case, I put drops st the outside walls and the inside support posts. Wireing is surface mount conduit-as to be flexible as well. But yes I love the radiant floor heat. the colder it is outside, the warmer the floor gets ��
    Here is a more recent shot
    5C332AD7-1A9A-4D5C-BBB5-9A0884852321.jpg

Awesome shop. but there's no dust anywhere

Thanks-but that was a once in a lifetime shot-I had just painted the floors

I want to paint the floor as well, what did you use? Any tips or thoughts?

Stan I used the "rock solid" by rustoleum from lowes. I did not put in the color chips-it makes it impossible to find any small items that are dropped on the floor. It was not a one coat coverage, and the color does vary as the product ages in the pan. But that said, I'd definitely do it again. It is much brighter and easier to clean. No too slippery as I intentionally rolled "bubbles" into the surface by re-rolling the area quickly.
    You do have to wait until your concrete is fully cured and dry. I don't know what the recommend time is, but I waited over a year just due to time constraints.

Thanks Sean. I need to figure out how long I need to wait. I agree about the color chips, bad idea.

Here is a more recent shot
    5C332AD7-1A9A-4D5C-BBB5-9A0884852321.jpg
    Is that a wood master drum sander? If so, (a) I’m jealous and (b) how do you like it?

Tom-yes it is. I picked it up on a 5200 mile road trip from Medford Oregon - Phoenix Arizona - Salt Lake - then home. (I picked up a truck for a friend, a trailer for another friend-and filled them both with 1800 bf makore, sapele, mahogany, & the woodmaster.) I got it because I hate sanding, and my wife wanted all the house cabinets to be variations of plank doors.
    This thing is a monster dream come true. My typical glue up is a 16th thicker than final, and the drum sander is used to take that last bit off. I have 80 on the first drum, and 120 on the second. Even with the makore, it only takes a few passes with the ros to eliminate the drum sander marks. It will even take a full size 36" passage door��.
    So, would I do it again-in a heartbeat. But I would probably not do the Alcan in November again-I lost track of how many flat tires I fixed on the trailer. I even wasted two tires totally. (FYI, tires in Watson lake YT Canada are very expensive)

The pic is in Phoenix before the sander was loaded in Salt Lake
    image.jpg

Ps - my only complaint with the woodmaster is the digital readout. I'm eventually going to swap it with a wixey
    Last edited by sean meltvedt; 12-11-2017 at 11:29 PM.

The pic is in Phoenix before the sander was loaded in Salt Lake
    image.jpg

Ps - my only complaint with the woodmaster is the digital readout. I'm eventually going to swap it with a wixey
    Sean - That is some haul! That's a great story and I'm sure your wife appreciates all that cabinet work.

Quote Originally Posted by stan shields View Post
    It took some splaining to the concrete guys but we got there.
    I can just imagine THAT conversation!

Great job, Stan! You'll be smiling about that decision for a long time.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain