Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Classified ad sale payment options

Classified ad sale payment options

I am considering selling a couple of items using Sawmill Creek classified ads. Having never done this before I am wondering what is the best way to receive payment etc.

Cash is always preferred by most. I actually like using the Cash app if the other party is willing. No checks. There's also Venmo and Paypal.

Paypal or a postal money order are the only methods I accept for remote sales, cash only if face to face.

I purchased some hunting equipment on another forum-- as a buyer, if you use PayPal, you're protected (PayPal will work with you if something goes wrong) and you don't pay any extra, but I believe it charges the seller something like 3% for the services. I believe PayPal generally tends to favor the buyer with the fine print, but overall it does work. I sent the money via PayPal and all I needed was the seller's email address. He received the funds and shipped the item right out to me.

I'd much prefer cash and meeting locally, but sometimes that just can't be done.
    Licensed Professional Engineer,
    Unlicensed Semi Professional Tinkerer

PayPal works great. Have used it many, many times. I haven't used Zelle but people report good things about it.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Got it. PayPal will work well. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Kopfer View Post
    Got it. PayPal will work well. Thanks
    The only issue with PayPal and its nothing to do with them is you get really nice Fake emails from a PayPal scammer asking you to reset your password or someone has charged a $500 item to your PayPal account and your to "Click" on the link in the email and etc. So now some scammer has your account and password. Duh, NEVER click on a link in an email for Anything!!!

If you have any doubts go directly to your PayPal account via your link you have already and then verify.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

PayPal, and pay the fees. If you do friends and family as a buyer you have no protection. If the seller wants f&f, pay the fees yourself.

The protection has protected me on a few multi thousand dollar purchases where these was damage. Protected me even when seller said no refunds. The protection is you will receive the item in the condition you purchased it in regardless of what the seller says. They agree to that when they sell with PayPal as a payment option.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I have always been very trusting and will accept almost any payment method. I have had people send me checks and I cross ship. I am well aware when I do this, however, that I have zero protection.

Especially if it matters, use PayPal. It is like an insurance program. Do understand that as a seller, if the item is damaged, that is then on you, so, insure it (if it matters).

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    If the seller wants f&f, pay the fees yourself.
    Sorry Mike, I'm coming up with nada trying to interpret "f&f". Would you expand on that?

Thanks!
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    Sorry Mike, I'm coming up with nada trying to interpret "f&f". Would you expand on that?

Thanks!
    f&f = Friends and Family

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Whenever I've bought something from a forum classified ad I've always sent a check to the seller with the stipulation that the seller can hold off shipping the item until the check clears. Never had an issue doing that and never got burnt by a seller either.

Used PayPal for an online purchase one time and had an issue with the seller. Long story short PayPal did not stand behind me during the course of the dispute. Ticked me off so much that I cut up my PayPal card. PayPal claims to stand behind you but in my case they didn't.

I gather you do not have interac transfer in the US. It is great for this type of thing. One party sends out a transfer to the other with a security code, and then the other transfers the funds direct into their account using their bank online. No sharing of banking info, and instant.
    Last edited by Brad Shipton; 12-08-2017 at 4:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Shipton View Post
    I gather you do not have interac transfer in the US. I gather it is not in the US. It is great for this type of thing. One party sends out a transfer to the other with a security code, and then the other transfers the funds direct into their account using their bank online. No sharing of banking info, and instant.
    No security code, but the Cash app works the same way. You send via the app and it goes directly into your bank account.

I have used PayPal since almost day one, never had an issue. In fact just last week they got me a refund from a seller who was marketing junk. It was only $25 but it was the principle. I am pretty internet savvy and I know enough to be wary of emails with a "click on link" and pretty cautious in general. I find most of the complaints about PayPal was from people who got took by scammers or first time users.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10