Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Weber Spirit 2 grill. What you think.

New Weber Spirit 2 grill. What you think.

Looks like weber is in the process changing styles on their gas grills.
    What do you think of the looks of the new style?
    Not sure I like how the propane tanks hangs off the side in the open.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Weber-Sp...-303243334-_-N

The Genesis has a cover for the tank but not fully enclosed
    weber-propane-grills-60010001-64_1000.jpg
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 12-05-2017 at 4:31 PM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Looks to me like they've continued to cheapen them up. The Weber I bought around 2004 still looked like new on the outside and only ever needed burners (once), grates (once), and flavorizor bars (twice) during 10 years I owned it. I sold it for about $100 on Craigslist. My parents bought one about 5 years later and it went in the trash last year. Theirs looked a lot sturdier than this. This looks like it has stamped steel for the whole frame. Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    Looks to me like they've continued to cheapen them up. The Weber I bought around 2004 still looked like new on the outside and only ever needed burners (once), grates (once), and flavorizor bars (twice) during 10 years I owned it. I sold it for about $100 on Craigslist. My parents bought one about 5 years later and it went in the trash last year. Theirs looked a lot sturdier than this. This looks like it has stamped steel for the whole frame. Sad.

I decided to replace my grill next spring with a Weber two burner. Not too sure now.
    My grill now is about 10 years old. Same burners and works but the inside is rusted away. The outside looks new. Only cost $249.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I was in the market about 4 years ago and ended up with a kitchen aid branded grill from home depot over the Weber. Many of the upgraded features and a similar price to the entry level Weber. I have been very happy with it. stainless top and cabinet door. fully enclosed cabinet, stainless grates and burners.

Blog Entries
    I got a Webber about 4 years ago & the models they had at Home Depot were not the same as those at the local 'Barbeques Galore'. The ones at the Depot looked very similar, but had smaller bars on the stainless steel grates, or just thinnish cast iron grates, among other differences. And they really weren't any cheaper than at the BBQ place. I did a major tear down & cleaning this summer & I'd say the burner & flavorizer bars have at least 10 years left, the grate will last longer than I will. The cabinet & hood are almost like new. The only complaint I have is that the finish on the knobs has gone kinda crinkly. Best BBQ I've ever owned.

Like Matt, my previous Weber Genesis B was a great grill that lasted a loooonnngggg time with only minor occasional refurbishments. The current Genesis E310, while having superior heat, isn't nearly the same quality. The original cast iron grates didn't have any porcelain coating and rusted really quickly. The porcelain coated ones still rusted and I've had to replace them twice. (if I do that again, it's going to be an aftermarket product made of anodized aluminum) I've had to replace the igniters three times and the burners twice. I'm really on the fence at this point about keeping it...but I really do like the heat it produces for searing. I may just go the combo gas/wood/charcoal route if I can find something that I actually like. Hard to sat at this point.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I got a Big Green Egg and absolutely love it. Dealing with the charcoal really isn't much more work than gas now that I've got it down. There's VERY little left and it lights fast with a MAPP torch. I thought I'd use both but never used the propane grill again. My mom replaced hers with a Kamodo Joe which I think is currently a better option. I would guess operational costs are similar (I pay about $9-$12 for a bag of lump charcoal at GFS, Walmart, or Home Depot) but the results are much better.

I still have our Weber charcoal grill we recieve as a wedding present 30 years ago. Not sure how many other people can say they've had the same spouse and grill for 30 years.

I got a Big Green Egg and absolutely love it. Dealing with the charcoal really isn't much more work than gas now that I've got it down. There's VERY little left and it lights fast with a MAPP torch. I thought I'd use both but never used the propane grill again. My mom replaced hers with a Kamodo Joe which I think is currently a better option. I would guess operational costs are similar (I pay about $9-$12 for a bag of lump charcoal at GFS, Walmart, or Home Depot) but the results are much better.

Last two summers Meijer stocked a Char Broil grill that looked interesting. I would look at it and think "Should I ?'

- Rick Dale

I worked for a big box store for almost 25 years before they went under.
    The first year I was employed by them I purchased a Kettle grill that Weber made for them less the Weber Logos. That been over 30 years now. I still use it and stored outdoors without a cover.

SAM_0703_4.jpg
    - Rick Dale

My stainless steel Genesis is going strong after 8 years. I don't foresee having to replace it.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

That Char Broil, is it the one with a steel shell? Similar idea to the ceramic grills but probably not as long term a solution. Not that the ceramic can’t break, but cracks due to use are warranted for life and with care accidents are rare. Mine withstood a hail storm that did about $35k in damage to the house.

Thanks for sharing Dave. I've been recommending Weber based on the 10 yr old Spirit we have, but now need to reconsider.

I typically cook out once or twice a week, year round. Over the last 40 years, I have probably warn out 10 or more gas grills. Some of them were cheap but I remember one that was around $700 and a few more that were close. They all eventually burned out or developed some condition that made them unworthy of repair. I only grill with charcoal now as I think it turns out better than propane or natural gas cooked food.

Cooking with a fire can be broken down into two different things. I will call them "grilling" and "smoking". Grilling is a short term event lasting an hour or so. I use factory made (like Kingsford) charcoal for this purpose. My preferred grill brand is Weber. I can't remember how long I have owned it but it has been at least 5 years. For smoking, I use a Primo brand ceramic smoker, which is like a heavy duty green egg. I only use natural lump charcoal (Cowboy brand) and a little mixed hardwood. I will occasionally smoke a turkey 2 or 3 chickens for 4 hours but I cook most other meats for 10+ hours. I will typically do two Boston butts at once and I do those several times a year. The Primo has been in service for more than 10 years and the only trouble I have had is it is heavy for one person to lift out the inner fire chamber to clean it.

That Char Broil, is it the one with a steel shell? Similar idea to the ceramic grills but probably not as long term a solution. Not that the ceramic can’t break, but cracks due to use are warranted for life and with care accidents are rare. Mine withstood a hail storm that did about $35k in damage to the house.
    Yes. It has the steel shell.
    - Rick Dale