Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Insert head low down

Insert head low down

I am about to invest 10k into insert heads for a customer.

The shelix/bryds are out of the question as I do not like the design of the perched cutters. I was looking at hermance, I like the pocketed design, but have heard that the straight sided inserts do not cut as nice as the radius edge ones do. I am getting a price from global and am planning on talking to Jeff at Northfield tomorrow.

Anyone have any real life experience with anything other than a Shelix head.

My friend has a 13" DeWalt with a Shelix head, and I have 15" Grizzly with the Grizzly helical head that uses straight inserts. I know that the Shelix works better in theory, but in the real world I can't tell the difference between the two. --Geoff

Head for what?

Terminex or Tersa. I have Tersa, like it and it seems a bit more common than Terminex.

Had a couple of Byrds, not impressed.
    Last edited by Larry Edgerton; 12-06-2017 at 5:50 AM.

I'm not a fan of the perched insert style head. Straight inserts in close fitting seats work extremely well, give an excellent finish and provide long tip life. This is using abrasive timbers 95% of the time as well. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

Two jointers and a big planer.

Darcy and Wayne could you elaborate more on what you guys dont like about "perched" cutterheads ? I am looking at possibly upgrading to insert heads eventually so your opinions would be that much more education for me,thanks, Mike.

I have seen the shelix/Byrd ones completely broken off the heads. No real support for that knife other than the screw holding it on and a little lip on the back side.

Blog Entries
    When I saw the title to your post, it conjured a strange image.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    When I saw the title to your post, it conjured a strange image.
    Now I'm googling " how to remove coffee spray from a keyboard"!
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

I don't understand how Bryd stays in business, 10 months to get a head made. Who the heck can be without a cutter head for that long, plus they need all the parts of the motor for a direct drive machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    I don't understand how Bryd stays in business, 10 months to get a head made. Who the heck can be without a cutter head for that long, plus they need all the parts of the motor for a direct drive machine.
    Ya, that sure cuts down on your options. I looked at converting a Porter direct and ended up buying a SCM new for less money.

When I had my Terminus heads made for my jointer and planer, they sent a guy out, who measured and drew a schematic right off the heads on my machines. I had to remove them as necessary to access the whole units. He had me sign off on the measurements. He then sent them to Switzerland where they are made. They made a proper blueprint, and sent it back for us to sign off on, then the heads were made. It took about 8-12 weeks start to delivery.

On another note, the pocketed head that Hermance makes, takes a standard 15 x 15 or so insert with straight edges if I remember, no? If so, there is also a 15 x 15 standard curved edge insert out there. Why can't those be used if wanted? The whole system works around the standardized sizes of the inserts. The radius edge inserts are still supported at the centers of the back and sides. They should be able to put you in touch with users who can give you feedback.

There are 5 of us involved in a group buy from Hermance. One of our group already has their 24" head on a machine and was impressed with their service and the quality of cut from the cutterhead. Personally I like standard and easy to acquire pieces. I would suggest direct contact with Matt if you have any interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    Ya, that sure cuts down on your options. I looked at converting a Porter direct and ended up buying a SCM new for less money.
    That is interesting. Byrd must be charging a premium. When I got the Terminus, and when I priced the Hermance for my Greenlee planer, which I haven't followed through on, it was "only" $150.00 per inch of cutting edge- 24" machine would run $3600.00.
    Not cheap, but I have yet to see a new SCMI machine selling that cheap.
    Perhaps we need to start a group buy here in the states.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kee View Post
    There are 5 of us involved in a group buy from Hermance. One of our group already has their 24" head on a machine and was impressed with their service and the quality of cut from the cutterhead. Personally I like standard and easy to acquire pieces. I would suggest direct contact with Matt if you have any interest.
    Matt at Hermance, or should I say from the company that designed the heads and Hermance seemed to have bought? I think it's Strouse machining llc,