Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Daily Seven?

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Might look a bit closer....that Stanley #45 is my "joinery" plane......
    I never bothered counting the planes in your picture til Derk's post - I also see only 6 (on top of the bench), so, you it seems, count a combo plane as 2 to get to the total of 7? LOL

Its taken me 3 years to get started and put wood together but I finally am, I only use 2 planes a number 3 and a 9 1/4

I do have a Sargent 4 size, 2 stanley #5s, 2 7s(one keen kutter and one stanley), and one stanley 6 that don't see any use because I started my first project a small box which is about 1 foot long I hope to put the others in rotation very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    I never bothered counting the planes in your picture til Derk's post - I also see only 6 (on top of the bench), so, you it seems, count a combo plane as 2 to get to the total of 7? LOL

The Stanley 45 was know as 7 planes in one....after all..LOL

Works for me

Here are my most used handplanes

2017-12-10 12.03.05.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    I just know what I have and where they are when needed.

Regards from Perth

Derek

This in itself is very commendable!

The seven I probably use most are:

1,2 Smoothing: Stanley #3, #405
    3,4 Roughing:#5 significant camber, V&B 905 extreme camber
    5 Trying and jointing: Stanley #7
    6,7 Block Plane: Stanley 60 1/2, Craftsman 3732 knuckle cap larger block

If you count a spokeshave as a plane, a Veritas would displace the craftsman blockplane, moving a new tool onto the most-used list.

I use a lot of others too.

As if I need to say this: Steven's request for pictures is an invitation not a mandate. Around these parts, that phrase has always been used to convey genuine interest not to judge.

Thought for a minute.....that people would be proud enough of their planes that they use the most, that they would be willing to share a picture.....wasn't trying to get "State Secrets" out of them. Guess it doesn't matter, anyway.......they can keep their secrets....

Blog Entries
    No secrets, haven't determined which are my seven and have also been busy of late.

Since the bench was cleared off earlier, maybe now would be a good time to go out to the shop and take a picture.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 12-12-2017 at 12:15 PM. Reason: spelling
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Well Steven, it wasn't possible for me to narrow it down to seven. As it is my Record #778 rabbet plane was left out.

Used Regularly Planes.jpg

Starting with the bottom row left to right are two combination planes a Stanley #45 & #50. Usually when they are used the #98 & #99 side rabbet planes are used to enlarge a slot or to clean up a rough side if needed. Last on the bottom row is a #65-1/2 block plane. It is only one of five low angle block planes to be used regularly. The others are a #65 knuckle joint and three variations on the #60.

It is not easy deciding which smoother to use at any one time but most of the time it is either a #3 or a #4. These are just the representatives for the smoother group. Two of my #3 size planes are type 13 Stanley/Bailey planes and one is a Dunlap by Millers Falls. Two of my #4 planes are type 6 and one of them is somewhat of a franken plane on a type 11corrugated body.

Then there are the jack planes depending on the job either a #5-1/4 gets the work or a #5 is used. Not sure of the type on the #5-1/4 as it is actually marked Stanley in the casting and doesn't follow the type chart for the Bailey planes. The #5 is a type 9 but there are three others on hand including 2 type 11s with smooth and corrugated soles and a type 16.

The Low Angle Jack (LN #62) gets used on almost every project to shoot the end grain. Sometimes it is also used to shoot the edges of smaller pieces.

The #6 is a type 9 and takes turns with a type 4. This is the plane used as my jointer most of the time. If a long piece is being worked then the #8 come to the party.

Finally the hollows and rounds represent the molding planes that are used often to round corners or produce decorative edges on projects.

Wow, this looks like a lucky thirteen.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 12-11-2017 at 9:33 PM. Reason: Lucky thirteen
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    I am in the process of moving. My planes are spread between two locations and some are packed. I guess I could show the traveling set, which is where I am....
    Having a little problem with my photo, not use to using the iPad to do this. My laptop is having issues. I am recently oriented more towards rough work as my plane suggestion may make obvious. I have been working from logs and rough lumber, which is becoming a theme for me.

Hitting the right number was largely luck. As Derek mentions I am more & more project centric. LV skew block plane, LV router plane, LV #4, LV #5, LV #5 1/2, LV Miter plane, ECE Scrub.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 12-12-2017 at 10:03 AM.

One of the questions asked by new neanderthal woodwrokers is "What hand planes do I need to ....."

View this as a "Show & Tell" so others will get an idea what to get for their own, NEW woodshop.

By showing them what others actually USE in their own woodshops, maybe as to what type of plane........

Can't get to the shop to take photos. Will do later. My 7 are:

Veritas Low Angle Jointer - Low center of gravity. Joints effortlessly.
    Veritas Low Angle Jack - I go back and forth with this one, but it really fills in many gaps (jointing small things; smoothing large things, taking it on the road when I need a utility player)
    Lie Nielsen #4 Smooth - If I had to make a list of only 1, this would be it.
    Veritas Small Bevel up Smooth - Great for smoothing very small items - like loose tenons
    Veritas Apron - I never got into the 60 1/2 style; if I have to use a block, I like it to be as small as possible. I still think it's the best tool for fairing large, gradual curves.
    Veritas Large Shoulder
    Veritas Shooting Plane - This is like a meat slicer for wood. Perfectly square, smooth, and accurate edges.

I am not great at finding and fettling vintage things back to top quality. For me (no disrespect to collectors or people who love using many) my shop space and time has been better spent investing in a small number of planes that I use every day.

These days, I'm spending less time milling. Machines just do a better job than me at jointing, flattening, and ripping operations.

I prefer hand planes (and saws) for some joinery and smoothing. I find they are faster (less set up), more versatile, and less dusty.

I go back and forth with the bevel up planes. I use them primarily because of ergonomics and ease of resharpening. I keep them all ground at 25 degrees and if they tear out, I use the #4 or sandpaper.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 12-13-2017 at 8:24 AM.

I mainly build smaller things.
    my8planes.jpg
    1) jack rabbet - jointing, try plane, beveled/angle edges, possible large rabbets, possible panel raising

2) 5¼ w jack - scrubbing, try plane, jointing, general trimming/flushing, possible large smoother

3) miter plane - shooting, possible miter jack usage

4) #3 smoother - smoothing, general trimming/flushing, possible toothing, possible scrub

5) left skew block - rabbets (goto for cross grain), bevel/chamfer edges, shooting, trim tennons, panel raising, general trimming/flushing

6) plow plane - grooves, rabbets, tongues, thin stock cutoff, possible beading

7) shoulder plane - trim rabbets, trim shoulders

8) router plane - trim dado/indent bottoms, trim tennons, possible stopped grooves