Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Daily Seven?

Blog Entries
    I am in the process of moving. My planes are spread between two locations and some are packed. I guess I could show the traveling set, which is where I am....
    Having a little problem with my photo, not use to using the iPad to do this. My laptop is having issues. I am recently oriented more towards rough work as my plane selection may make obvious. I have been working from logs and rough lumber, which is becoming a theme for me.

Hitting the right number was largely luck. As Derek mentions I am more & more project centric. LV skew block plane, LV router plane, LV #4, LV #5, LV #5 1/2, LV Miter plane, ECE Scrub.

804C8183-F6C9-4AB2-A750-AF8CB8C9E6B0.jpg

Moderator, I tried to delete the previus post, but it does not seem to want to delete, feel free......Sorry I am learning to work from an iPad with system 11, which changes EVERYTHING!
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 12-12-2017 at 11:14 AM.

Ok, since some merely show the entire stable.....Planes....just...planes
    IMG_2602 (640x480).jpg
    "Special Planes"
    IMG_2606 (640x480).jpg
    I treat spokeshaves as planes
    IMG_2604 (640x480).jpg
    Thatred one is a scrub-jack....
    IMG_2605 (640x480).jpg
    Long planes, used as the need arises....No.14 used as a smoother...
    IMG_2607 (640x480).jpg
    The "Main Group" No. 7 down to a few #3s, and a few block planes...
    IMG_2608 (640x480).jpg
    Includes three low angle block planes...that little blue item is also a plane.
    There were a few on the shelf under the bench.....extra #4s and #3...that may just go up for sale.....whenever I get around to it.

Since I may do anything between a small box up to a kitchen pantry.....the "seven" may change in the sizes of the planes.

Blog Entries
    Ok, since some merely show the entire stable.....
    Entire stable moi?

Here is an image for most of the stable:

Main Plane Storage.jpg

On top left is a wooden plow that doesn't get used and on the top right is a #113 that gets used when needed. Most of the others come out to play regularly.

Here is a partial shot of the bench where my oilstones reside:

OSB Planes.jpg

Most of these planes are used regularly. There are 10 planes in that area even though the #113 is behind the box on the right.

There are 2 - #3 size planes, 2 - #5 planes, 2 - #5-1/4 planes with one set up as a scrub and a #4. There is a Record #778 and a Stanley #55.

Then there is the "scratch & dent" area:

Scratch & Dent.jpg

This is one of the places where broken tools or those unscheduled for restoration are lying in wait. Besides the boxes of molding planes are a Sargent transitional jointer and a Stanley/Bailey #8.

This doesn't show the drawer with a few block planes or the small block plane kept near the wood stove to make shavings for starting a fire.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

One man's stable is another man's hitching post...

stable.jpg

LN Rabbet Block Plane, LN 62, Clifton #7 (cheaper than a gym membership), Stanley#4, LV Router, LN Medium Shoulder Plane, LV Small Plow w/ Imperial blades, T&G, beads.

Not daily, but here are seven. The coffin smoother gets the least use. The others all get used on most projects. The 40 less so since I got the jack. That thing can hog when you need it to.

3721273E-9168-4143-A712-EC5D43DF63FF.jpg

Only 6 get regular use in my shop.

Hand Planes 002.jpg

• A no-name block plane that I inherited from my dad. Sees service as a glue scraper. Probably very old but I have no idea who made it.
    • Stanley 60-1/2P for end grain and general cleanup. Even James Krenov appreciated these.
    • Footprint #4 smoother with corrugated sole. Razor sharp, paper thin shavings.
    • Two Type 11 Baileys. The No. 5 is ground as a scrub, the 6C is my go-to jointer for short boards. Both were my grandfather's and I believe they were purchased new. 100 years in the family and counting.
    • A Millers Falls No. 7 jointer. Big and heavy but it does what it was designed to do. Got this one from an old contractor friend.

I have others but these cover the basic needs in my shop.

Probably the most used seven.

A type 11 Stanley 5C with slightly cambered iron
    A left hand LV shooting plane (yes, I’m left handed)
    A LV #4
    A “Columbia” #3 (smoother for smaller pieces...handed down from my dad)
    A LV medium shoulder plane (love this thing for all sorts of tasks)
    A Stanley 50’s block plane (small camber)
    A LN block plane (straight edge)

B10EE647-582E-4F2E-BD5C-E92B4D14C672.jpg

When working with larger/longer pieces a 5 1/2, and a jointer comes out. Drawers get an added plough plane, and I try to find every excuse to use the LV router plane.

Ok, I'll play, but along the lines of Derek and Jim. First a couple of overviews of the tool storage around the main workbench.

Tool area behind the main workbench, this is where most of the daily users are stored.

benchToolStorage171213dscf2254.jpg

The roll around chest also behind the bench hold many of the wood stock planes.

extraToolStorageChest171213dscf2264.jpg

The tool area to the left of the main workbench and above the sharpening bench.

extraToolStorageLeftSide171213dscf2260.jpg

The storage area to the right of the main bench.

extraToolStorageRightSide171213dscf2257.jpg

That's all for this post. Photos of the planes to follow.

ken

Because I have and use machines for stock prep, planes above #5 sized get little love in day to day work. The metal #6, #7, and #8 are mostly dust collectors. When there is a need for a plane longer than a #5 I will usually reach for one of the wood stock fore or joiner planes. The woodies are a pleasure to use because of the feel of wood on wood and their light weight. Light weight is a recurring theme in my chose of planes for use.

Here is a photo of a number of my #5 planes:

smoothingPlanes171211dscf2222.jpg

The three planes on the left are the most used ones. the right three get little to no use and mostly set in the plane till or on one of the shelfs away from the main workbench. The reason the left three are the users mostly comes down to the weight of the planes. The LN and the Wood River are very heavy, the third plane is a Stanley Bedrock. The Bailey design is a better plane than the Bedrock (YMMV).

The three users have different shaped cutters, one with a straight edge and only a slight relief of the corners. The other two have cambered irons, one with what I call a "jack plane" camber and the other about half way between the jack camber and straight. I find the mid camber very useful for squaring the edges of boards. If I were culling the herd the six planes could be replaced with just one with three cutters with little loss of utility. It ain't going to happen but it could be done .

The three #5 Bailey's are type 13 or older and are the most used planes in the shop. One is a type 9 with a low knob and is my personal favorite. I can not think of a project one or all of them has not touched.

The smoothers tomorrow.

ken

Moving on to the #4 sized planes:

smoothingPlanes171211dscf2225.jpg

Like the photo of the #5 planes the daily users are on the left, the shelf sitters are on the right. There are more factors than weight differences between the users vs. the others in this group although weight is a factor.

The three users all have different makes of cutters, from left to right is a Hock O-1, a Japanese laminated HC, and a PM-v11. Of the three, the one I'm most attached to is the Record #4 in the middle. The Record was one of the first planes I bought from Garrett-Wade back in the late 70's. Fine Woodworking had been out for a couple of years, I can't remember where I found my first copy but it changed my life.

At that time there were no stores in Houston with quality wood working tools and only one small hardwood seller. All my early tools were ordered from the Garrett-Wade catalog, most I still have and some will star in later posts.

Of the ones I do not use often, two because of weight, the other two because of the Norris adjuster and complexity. For some reason Norris adjusters and I do not work together well. I've really tried to love both of the LV smoothers as they are very nice and well made planes but for whatever reason (Norris adjuster) the chemistry isn't there, they always seem to be doing the Cotton-eyed Joe when I just want to do the Texas Two Step. Which is a shame because they are really nice planes, maybe I'll make another run around around the dance floor with 'em soon.

ken

Blog Entries
    Of the ones I do not use often, two because of weight, the other two because of the Norris adjuster and complexity. For some reason Norris adjusters and I do not work together well.
    One of the difficulties for me with a Lie-Nielsen plane is there is almost no backlash in the blade adjustment. Funny that a 'feature' many complain about is something upon which I have become accustomed.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    One of the difficulties for me with a Lie-Nielsen plane is there is almost no backlash in the blade adjustment. Funny that a 'feature' many complain about is something upon which I have become accustomed.

jtk
    Jim,

If you join me in putting a thinner cutter in the LN your backlash may be waiting. The thin iron then needs the adjustment hole in the cap iron enlarged to lay flat on the frog. If you are not careful you will end up with Stanley backlash :-). BTW, I'm kinda like you the backlash is not a bother, in fact I think it may help a little with fine tuning the depth. But then my tool preferences can be a little weird.

ken

After I had shown off the "stable" of planes...someone asked IF that was all.....well...there were a few hidden away on a shelf, under the bench...
    IMG_2615 (640x480).jpg
    "Be careful what you ask for.."
    An Anant A4, a #3 sized Dunlap, a Stanley Defiance #3 sizedplane from the 1930s, and a No. 8 sized Craftsman ( Millers Falls size) and a Mohawk-Shelburne #4. ( later was sold as a #900)
    There was also a "Jack" plane sitting around...
    IMG_2616 (640x480).jpg
    Double iron. 2" wide iron. Traditional Chinese Jack Plane...
    IMG_2617 (640x480).jpg
    Takes a bit of practice, to get it to raise a few shavings.
    That block plane? #1248 version of a Stanley #110...

Today's smoothers are the #4 1/2's. Same story, the LN gets little love for no reason other than it weights too damn much.

It is a shame marketing has convinced the tool buying world that heaver and thicker is better. I know broken record and all that rot.

One of the Stanley's has a Ray Iles cutter the other a Japanese HC laminated iron. Both work very well in older Stanley planes. For now I'm using a Hock cap iron with the Ray Iles iron because I'm out of usable Stanley chip breakers.

41_2smoothers171211dscf2229.jpg

Of the smoothing planes these are the least used, although the one with the Japanese iron is a very sweet working Type 9 and it is becoming my goto plane when I want to put a final finish on a board.

ken

20171212_143451.jpg
    From the top :
    #6 Now mostly used on shooting board, though it saw use in theater sets and furniture and houses in the 70s.

Union plane was dad's. It's been across the date line at least 4 times. It replaced a 70s flea market purchase of about the same vintage as the 6. It gets almost as much use as the 4

#4 is a newer acquisition. P.Sellers said I needed one. He is right.

Old candle stub.

#3 (actually, there are two, but I didn't want to cheat). Tight mouth, chipbreaker up close. I like it because even though the 4 does as well, picking up the 3 says last step. Also really nice for 5"box sides.20171213_164854.jpg

Block plane also from dad's toolbox. It replaced a magenta 70s new purchase for many reasons. Including my cackhandedness messing up the adjuster.

Record was the purchase (from a vendor recommended on this forum, so a thanks for that.) that pretty much enabled me to give away the table saw. Nice quiet grooving. No more scary molding head.

[QUOTE=steven c newman;2751562]Go out to the shop, pick out the seven most used planes, line them up on your bench, and take a picture or two.