Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Table saw safety reminder

Warning

Let's not turn this into a Sawstop thread or into an argument.

This thread is not yet on fire, but I do see some puffs of smoke.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Van Cronk View Post
    Wow, why?

Im not trolling but if I went 26 years w/o an accident and then spent 2 days in the hospital I would be filled with regret over not buying a SawStop.
    Sometimes it's money, sometimes it is confidence (or over-confidence, if not complacency), and sometimes it is the anti-Gass position (even though SAWSTOP is now owned by FESTOOL (or its parent co. strictly speaking)).

I never try to convince anyone to get a SawStop. SawStop is only one piece of equipment in the shop; the mitresaw can hurt really bad, too. If someone think they are invincible, why argue? It is not your fingers or hand at risk. As long as someone doesn't smoke in my face, I don't try to preach why smoking kills people. Their choice. I am glad to see that responsible employers including school administrations have all opted for the SawStop to protect those at risk.

But, if someone wants to hear about my saw recommendation, I won't shy from doing it with passion.

Simon

Watch the "stupids", Brian. They're not necessary to make your point - which you've made.

Everyone else, feel free to add new insight or information that is not argumentative.

And I'm not going to argue about what's argumentative. I know it when I see it.

Whenever the adjective "stupid" or its noun is used against another forum member (rather than to describe the act or behavior of a third party), I know who is running out of reasons or points in the discussion.

It is a dangerous word to use in the workplace. One of my wife's (ex-now) part-time coworkers had the habit of using that word in her conversation. In one encounter with one of her customers, she mouthed that word within the earshot of her supervisor. It wasn't sure if she said that to herself or not, but the customer escalated the dispute. Long story short, she resigned on her own soon after management decided to open an investigation into the customer's complaint.

100% real workplace incident.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    Let me guess...you own a Sawstop.
    I don't, actually, although when get around to replacing the table saw I have, it'll most likely be with a Sawstop or if I wait a bit longer, a competitive equivalent.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    Did anyone with legal training or qualifications ever study the possibility that these Youtube cowboys, despite their good intentions, could land in legal trouble water, if someone injured himself or herself after copying their "instructions?" I don't recall seeing disclaimers on some of these videos I came across in the past. Even with the disclaimers, I wonder if they are good defenses in court if what they are showing are outright unsafe practices -- which may be unknown to themselves and/or to the viewers. Any legal attorneys here? Or, any case laws that can shed some light.

Simon
    Great, let's get some attorneys involved!
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 12-09-2017 at 7:27 AM.

Pretty simple. Don't put the meat in the sharp spinny thing(s).

Play ignorant games, win ignorant prizes.

(that quip certainly loses something when you replace the word stupid)

wow...tough crowd. remind me never to make a mistake a post about it.
    Bob C

ego has nothing to do with it, Pride does a play into it, but my saw is a 1952 Craftsman saw. When we bought it, there were no guards, no riving knife, nothing on the saw. Before ya fly off the handle, that doesn't mean I couldn't of made guards, a knife, etc. for it. I just never did.

As far as investin' in a sawstop, not a chance! Maybe the stay in the hospital would've paid for one, but I just don't have the money for one. I've had the same saw this long, I'll just keep it. I stated I had a distraction in the shop that afternoon. A distraction can get you in as much trouble as anything else. That's why ALL my equipment is shut down, as a rule, when folks are in the shop.
    Sawdust703

Nostalgia- I get it.

Hope you heal up quickly.

Blog Entries
    Guys, this thread is getting on really thin ice. Please keep it civil.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Came across this video last night and it is another example of why I call Youtube a WWW with minefields everywhere. I start the link from where the totally unsafe cut was about to happen. Did you know what was dead wrong there? Judging from the comments made there, many had no clue whatsoever.

https://youtu.be/-kkmmLhsyRQ?t=39s

DO NOT ever attempt to make cuts the way he did. He is one of the people who should brush up his safety knowledge or get a SawStop to minimize the potential injury to him.

Anyone who is still scratching his head after watching the first 5 seconds or so of the clip, go here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0jbg9LuDsc

Simon
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 12-09-2017 at 9:43 AM.

might help to stop setting up camera angle for your woodworking life on you tube and just pay attention to mill work
    jack
    English machines

At 1:20 of this video you see someone making the most awkward use of push sticks and creating a dangerous situation in the name of safety. This is a case where using your hands is much more appropriate.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkvO99lswZg
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    At 1:20 of this video you see someone making the most awkward use of push sticks and creating a dangerous situation in the name of safety. This is a case where using your hands is much more appropriate.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkvO99lswZg
    No blade guard, so dust everywhere...while no one was seen wearing any masks!

Don't watch videos much, never saw someone cutting a board like that with two push sticks on Youtube. Why two sticks? A push shoe like this http://www.tablesawpushstick.com/ would do the job much simpler.

Simon
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 12-09-2017 at 11:01 AM.