Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Table saw safety reminder

I finally was able to set up my Sawstop 3hp PCS, I love it. I had several close calls in Shop Class in HS. When I got my first Table saw a .113 C-man I tried using the guard. The fit and alignment were so poor, i had issues with it trapping the wood. This caused me to have to shut down the saw to realign and finish the cut. I then used it for years without a guard. I then had a close friend who had used saws for years a retired Flooring installer, have an accident that damaged his hand. He still has issues with it. that made the third person to have a hand injury with a table saw that I was friends with. Granted, the Sawstop was only around for the last one. He though said he would have gladly paid for one in hind site. I then decided it was my time to get one. Everyone has choices, I made mine. Dan

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    At 1:20 of this video you see someone making the most awkward use of push sticks and creating a dangerous situation in the name of safety. This is a case where using your hands is much more appropriate.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkvO99lswZg

A bit cavalier with that timber framing saw as well. Safe to say that no one wants to get cut with one of those anywhere, but especially so at about waist height.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    A bit cavalier with that timber framing saw as well. Safe to say that no one wants to get cut with one of those anywhere, but especially so at about waist height.
    True.

Don't Google it, but circular saw accidents can easily be found with a simple search. Some are really graphic for those who have the stomach for them (I saw the titles and quickly moved away).

A more safe way to use a circular saw is to use it with a track and with the workpiece supported on a foam or similar material. Circular saws can cause violent kickbacks too.

No matter how you choose to do your shop work as a hobby or for a living, with or without any safety gear, I wish you all a safe and injury-free woodworking journey.

Simon
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 12-09-2017 at 1:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    At 1:20 of this video you see someone making the most awkward use of push sticks and creating a dangerous situation in the name of safety. This is a case where using your hands is much more appropriate.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkvO99lswZg
    From that same video, this is what I picture you were advocating earlier in this thread, though using your hands instead of the push sticks.
    https://youtu.be/ZkvO99lswZg?t=171 (that's saved at the time of the start of said cut).
    He pushes from behind, then at the end reaches beyond the cut to apply pressure on the outfed wood (except downward and not into the fence, since he couldn't get it there fast and accurately). Very iffy with slippery push sticks in a hurry; downright dangerous using only hands. Just my opinion.

I did not bother to read all these posts but after two TS accidents in two years I bought a SAWSTOP. The tips of two fingers nearly cut off was enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Willing View Post
    I did not bother to read all these posts but after two TS accidents in two years I bought a SAWSTOP. The tips of two fingers nearly cut off was enough for me.
    I know someone who had a tablesaw accident this summer resulting in weeks of healing to two of his fingers. There was no kick back but it was so fast that he still did not quite know how or why the accident happened. Yes, he had not used any blade guard.

He decided to change how he worked and bought a Makita Plunge cut track saw system instead of a SawStop, his only other option under consideration.

Simon

I have a Vintage Unsiaw that works perfectly...am thinking of getting a SawStop. Starting to think it would be money well spent.

I found that video comforting, because the operator made very obvious bad decisions I don't have to make. No splitter, no push stick, no pawls, no guard, no Sawstop, not a sliding table saw, didn't push down on the far end with a stick, no featherboard, stood in the wrong place...it's hard to think of anything he did right. If he had taken common-sense precautions and still gotten cut, I would find the video much more disturbing. His accident doesn't make saws look unsafe. It just reinforces what I've been taught about safety. He says he did three things wrong. No mention of the others. Oh, man. Not good.

The things that disturb me are the near-misses I've had when doing my best to protect myself. I hate finding out there are safety tips I'm not aware of.

Seems like it's always the experienced people who do these things. "I've been doing this 30 years, and I've never been hurt." Of course you haven't. Even if you do it wrong, you probably won't get hurt. Mishaps don't happen every time you do something stupid, but doing risky things makes it certain that they will happen if you live long enough.

Many people have lived and died without wearing safety belts in the car, without suffering harm as a result, but there are also a lot of people wearing diapers and being fed with a spoon because they thought they were too smart to buckle up.

Karl Wallenda walked tightropes without nets for over 70 years, with a perfect safety record. Then he fell off and died.
    Cry "Havoc," and let slip the dogs of bench.

I was socially distant before it was cool.

A little authority corrupts a lot.

The video guy has a crap attitude toward advice in the comments. This is exactly why he got hurt, and he will probably get hurt again. It's not the equipment.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Steve H Graham View Post
    The video guy has a crap attitude toward advice in the comments. This is exactly why he got hurt, and he will probably get hurt again. It's not the equipment.
    I'm hoping the new software around here will let people like posts because yours certainly deserve it. But he, like a lot of other "experienced" woodworkers, make excuses for their own failures by pushing for safer saws, not safer practices. They don't want to take personal responsibility for their own failures, they want someone else to coddle them and take care of them while they continue to act unsafely. I love people who say "I've done it this way for years". Okay, you've done something dumb for years, but instead of recognizing it before something bad happens, they keep doing it because it's more convenient than just doing it the right way. And when something does go wrong, instead of realizing what a fool they've been all this time... they just want a saw that makes it safer to do all of the same stupid garbage in the future.

What a world.

He clearly knows very little about safety, even after his accident. That means:

1. he didn't bother studying safety before the accident,
    2. when his fingers got mangled, he still chose not to look into it, and
    3. he doesn't see the problem with giving other people half-assed advice about something that could cost them their fingers.

Run my fingers into a table saw blade once, and within 24 hours, I will become my area's leading expert on saw safety. I'm not the Black Knight. You don't have to cut my arms and legs off.

I don't want to pick on someone who got hurt, but he shouldn't be setting other people up for disaster.

12. Quote Originally Posted by Steve H Graham View Post
    He clearly knows very little about safety, even after his accident. That means:

1. he didn't bother studying safety before the accident,
    2. when his fingers got mangled, he still chose not to look into it, and
    3. he doesn't see the problem with giving other people half-assed advice about something that could cost them their fingers.

Run my fingers into a table saw blade once, and within 24 hours, I will become my area's leading expert on saw safety. I'm not the Black Knight. You don't have to cut my arms and legs off.

I don't want to pick on someone who got hurt, but he shouldn't be setting other people up for disaster.
    "Your arm's off!" "No it isn't!"

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Henderson View Post
    "Your arm's off!" "No it isn't!"

"It's just a flesh wound"

it's amazing how many times a Monty Python quote can be used in conversation................Rod.

I'd love to see video's of you guys who seem to have all the answers in action. That would be much more educational for those of us who have been doing things a certain way forever than having to see and hear accident footage. Please post some so we can watch and learn.

<p>
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    I&#39;d love to see video&#39;s of you guys who seem to have all the answers in action. That would be much more educational for those of us who have been doing things a certain way forever than having to see and hear accident footage. Please post some so we can watch and learn.
    No videos will cover ALL kinds of cuts and a guy who finds convenience over safety will never &quot;learn&quot; enough no matter how many videos he watches. Watching MORE videos will not help a woodworker protect himself if he does not or is not willing to change his thinking and behavior in the shop. It&#39;s the mindset that matters. After watching 100 videos, will the same guy put his blade guard on, use the splitter/riving knife, refrain from using his hand to push a workpiece unless it is safe to do so, use featherboards, etc.? Will he be willing to do that 100% of the time? I do that 100% of the time, even though I own a SawStop. It is my mindset that protects me, not videos. Simon</p>
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 12-20-2017 at 2:04 PM.