Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Veritas medium router plane question

Veritas medium router plane question

I seem to have misplaced the screw shown in the pictures. Does anyone know what size screw that is? (Can't seem to find my thread gauge set, or I'd just measure it)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Making furniture teaches us new ways to remove splinters.

Matt, That tapped hole is a 10-32 and is for attaching the fence to the router plane. If you have the optional fence feature the screw will be in the guide rod for attaching the fence. See here javascript:OpenInstructions('60576');
    Chet

Chet, thanks.

I do have the fence, just missing the screw. (Rattled out on the way to or from an installation job I think)

Contact Lee Valley. I'm not saying this is standard practice for them, but when I tried to order a lost set-screw for a the low angle jack, they sent me a new one.

Also, FWIW, this is the LARGE router plane, right?

Crud. I guess it is the “large” router plane. My apologies.

Ive had good experiences with lee valley. I have no doubt they’d send me a new screw, I just hate putting a company in that position when it’s entirely my fault that the piece is missing. As a small manufacturer myself I routinely eat shipping here and there trying to provide good customer service. I don’t mind doing it at all, but at the end of the year you end up adding it all up. It ends up being a larger number than most people think it might be.

Blog Entries
    Since it is a standard thread, you could likely find a replacement in your local hardware store.

In my shop there are various containers of fasteners of all kinds just in case the need pops up when it is inconvenient to drive into town.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Jim,

That’s the plan. I likely have an Allen head 10-32 machine screw that’ll work, if not that’s what Fastenal exists for.

Blog Entries
    I would contact Lee Valley. They are responsive.

Blog Entries
    Some folks are hesitant about asking for customer service's help when they are the one responsible for the problem.

Our favorite vendors are responsive to us because of their good character. We should also display good character and not take advantage of their's.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Some folks are hesitant about asking for customer service's help when they are the one responsible for the problem.

Our favorite vendors are responsive to us because of their good character. We should also display good character and not take advantage of their's.

jtk
    I have found Lee Valley to be responsive. Robin Lee contacted me one time when I had a question.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I have found Lee Valley to be responsive. Robin Lee contacted me one time when I had a question.
    I think there are two discussions intertwined here. (1) What would Lee Valley actually do? And, (2) How do I recover from my mistake without asking Lee Valley to do something they shouldn't have to do?

I'm not sure which the OP intended.

I expect, based on previous behavior, LV would send a replacement. (It even occurs to me sending the occasional replacement part might be cheaper for LV than stocking and selling replacement parts would be.) On the other hand, I'd really expect that only if the part was originally missing and would want to buy the replacement if I lost or broke it.

I would call LV and tell them what you need and if it bothers you insist on paying for the part and shipping. The other thing to keep in mind is the reason they help you out with the freebie is that it will make you the customer feel good about them and build brand loyalty. The repeat business from you and the recommendations from you more than make up the cost of the small part.

Blog Entries
    I have had Robin Lee contact me on his own when I was having an issue. The issue was mine, not Lee Valley's, however he did offer help.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I have had Robin Lee contact me on his own when I was having an issue. The issue was mine, not Lee Valley's, however he did offer help.
    Robin Lee has been more than generous with me even though my purchases from Lee Valley have been rather anemic. That is what drives my decision to only ask for help from him or his company if there isn't another option.

Imagine the cost to a company of sending out a small item like a fastener. It isn't just the cost of the fastener. There are going to be more than a few people involved from the original contact to the point of the item leaving the shipping department. Even if it is only a few dollars, why should someone who has earned my respect be asked to pay more to correct my mistake than it would cost me to correct with a visit to my local hardware store on the next trip in to town?

In my case it wouldn't be a trip to town, it would be a trip to one of many boxes full of fasteners of various types and sizes.

jtk

It'a a standard 10-32, 1/2 inch long, pan head, machine screw. I'll bet every hardware store in the country has it in stock. It would take less time to go get one then to ...................whatever.