Thread: DW734 Shelix Head Upgrade

DW734 Shelix Head Upgrade

Is it worth upgrading to a shelix head on my Dewalt 734 planer?

I’d say no. I had one of those for years and though it’s a workhorse, it will slowly wear out. I had to replace a bunch of parts on my old one (threaded posts, locking assembly, etc) because it would slowly creep up during a cut - not something you want in a planer.

I’d buy a new planer with one in it already, or try to find a good deal on a used one and upgrade. If you have the space, consider a larger floor model planer.

I installed one on my 735. To qualify, I am a weekend warrior. Not a daily user. I use mostly cherry, mahogany, and maple. I can't recall how old my 735 is. The head made a big difference for me. Heck, I don't even have to pay attention to feed direction anymore! Now, I don't get the glass smooth surface like new sharp knives give and there are some small raised lines left. I realize the 735 is a different machine, but thought I'd share anyway. I would do it again. I'd considering upgrading my 6" jointer. Similar dilemma as a I really want to get an 8".

Tony

Thanks for the thoughts guys. The dilemma I have is that it is a $400 planer new and the head is another $400. I am a DIYer as well and work in my basement. I floor model would be a bit tricky to get down the steps. I do have a helix head on my 6" jointer and it works great. I did buy the machine with the helix already installed so there was some savings there.

I have a floor standing 15” 4 poster in my basement shop now. I’m sure that will be easy peasy compared to the 1300 lb Oliver I plan to move down there in the Spring.

The 15” 4 poster separates from its base for a move.

Looks like you’re in CLE like me - buy my 15” in the spring and i’ll Help you out a spiral in it. (Seriously, PM if you’re interested.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Fries View Post
    Thanks for the thoughts guys. The dilemma I have is that it is a $400 planer new and the head is another $400. I am a DIYer as well and work in my basement. I floor model would be a bit tricky to get down the steps. I do have a helix head on my 6" jointer and it works great. I did buy the machine with the helix already installed so there was some savings there.
    I don't know much about the 734, but looked into the same upgrade for my 735. It came down to the fact that the planer is about 10 years old. While it doesn't get heavy use, there is no telling how long it will last. Another factor is that I don't have particularly good mechanic's skills. While installing can be done, I don't think I'd have tried it myself. Having someone install the head makes the cost prohibitive. So, really age of the planer and your capabilities to install it were the factors that led me to just live with the steel knives.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Fries View Post
    Is it worth upgrading to a shelix head on my Dewalt 734 planer?
    Things to consider:

1. How old is it? If it is too old, and it breaks, then you will for sure want another to move the head into it.
    2. How often do you use it? You can buy two carbide tipped straight blades for the cost of the helix head (I think). As a casual user, I rarely change my carbide tipped blades (like years), so, probably not worth the extra cost.
    3. Are you willing to lose that beautiful straight blade surface? You must do something to make that surface look good when you are done.
    4. Do you often work wood that will benefit? I usually do not, but I have a few times.
    5. Is money sufficiently available that it has minimal impact?
    6. Do you have the skills and confidence to do the work?

My 735 is old enough that I won't do it. Will consider it on a replacement if my current unit breaks. Then again, I like the finish from the straight blades, so probably not since I do not own one of those big sanders.