Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: List of replacement impellers for HF dust collector?

New Rikon impeller installed! In my HF DC system!

stats:

My Altitude 1970 feet above Mean Sea level.
    temapture 71 degrees.

HF impeller 10.0 inches in Diameter
    Rikon 11 7/8 inches in Diameter

Vertical blade height both HF and Rikon 3 3/8

IMG_0144.jpg

weight: HF 4.6 lbs.
    Rikon 7.0 lbs

see previous post from me on difference's of my system compared to a stock HF single stage D.C.

With the new impeller installed:

Water Colum is how I measured the performance. Note WC is with my current 5 inch ducting with one blast gate open.
    Currently I have a very short run of 5 HVAC duct 8 feet pretty crude right now. The bends look like 90's here but they are more like two 45's more refinement will come in the ducting for better performance.
    Rikon 6.0 inches WC
    HF 4.0 inch WC

IMG_0148.jpg

Amp draw:

HF impeller 10.8
    Rikon 12.5 after running the D.C. System for 30 minutes the motor was not any warmer than with the HF blower so for me
    the HF motor is handling the extra load of the new impeller in spite of the larger mass and the impeller direction.

Over all I am happy! However if I had it to do over knowing what I know now I would spend more money
    and have a 3-5 Hp DC system with a two stages and six inch ducting with long sweeps.
    I have learned a lot and I have had fun doing it! that is what is important to me.

I started this adventure with a shop vac and a home brew Cyclone that works very well.
    IMG_0149.jpg
    The original objective was to stop tracking saw dust into the house, and now it has evolved into keeping my health.

One other observation the same as others have noted the sound level with this impeller is slightly louder, I should have taken a DB reading! Oh well, however the audio frequency is different, to me it is slightly a higher frequency.
    The the spool down time of the impeller is longer due to the extra mass, who care right?

if you are on a budget and can build this over time I say it is well worth it to follow the path I did.
    After all I use one tool at the time like most do. And my Bench dog does not track saw dust into the house.

Scooby my Bench Dog

IMG_1453.jpg
    Dang I hate when that happens photo on it's side!

How do you build, hook up, and measure with the water column gauge?

Also did you measure your setup without that flex?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    How do you build, hook up, and measure with the water column gauge?
    See DIY Tyler G on YouTube https://youtu.be/a9l9e8PwgEs

in this video Tyler make a Manometer to measure the pressure in the filter unit. If the pressure increases the filter is clogging and it is time to blow it out.
    on the suction side I made the same U tube and connected to the input side of my Supper Dust Deputy

IMG_0134.jpg
    Last edited by Lane Hardy; 12-09-2017 at 4:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    Also did you measure your setup without that flex?
    Hi Mike,

Do you mean where the flex connects to the metal ducting at the Supper Dust Deputy?
    On the oposit end? flex duct is not connected to anything when I made the messurement just and open flex line.
    Last edited by Lane Hardy; 12-09-2017 at 5:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lane Hardy View Post

If you had to purchase the items above you would have about $750.00 into the project.
    me I would look into a real 3 HP system with a two stage Cyclone separation system with a hepa filter equal to the Wynn 35A
    Reading your post I had to think... why would anyone go though all that and still have something based on a HF tool! Then I found your answer.
    Yeah, a Grizzly 1.5hp is $950 delivered, but I expect it would perform rather better.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    Reading your post I had to think... why would anyone go though all that and still have something based on a HF tool! Then I found your answer.
    Yeah, a Grizzly 1.5hp is $950 delivered, but I expect it would perform rather better.
    Comparable would be the 1.5HP Mini Gorilla from Onieda (1,150.00+tax+shipping).

Thanks for showing that video. I doubt i could install it on my setup without major work. Heck i dont own anything i could cover my filters with anyway.

Do you hf mod guys not look for deals and make offers on used cyclone collectors? My cyclone I got this past year for $1400. Its a bigun and not for just anyone but I know that the place on ebay in euclid ohio had 10 or more 3hp shopfox cyclones they let go for ~$800 this year. Some needed a few parts but you would be miles ahead in performance and maybe in less physical space requirements.

I looked for about a year for a D.C. For sale here in Texas few Wood workers in West Texas with out chasing possible systems around the country it was not worth a hunting trip.
    I was given the HF DC so my investment was the Supper Dust Deputy a Wynn35A filter and a Rikon impeller.
    It is not a 5 hp unit but does the job I need with plenty of air movement for 1 device at the time.

Question 5" inlet on the Super Dust Deputy

Lane: I'm building a HF mod from scratch partly for the savings, but mostly because I have a tiny, tiny shop and want to create effective collection in the smallest footprint possible, wedged into the spaces I have.

The 5" inlet on the SDD confuses me: I want to connect this to a 5" rigid duct system, but there don't seem to be a lot of options. I'd really like to go with PVC or other plastic instead of galvanized HVAC, both for ease of install and for overall rigidity (and to minimize finger cuts, which I seem to get in spades every time I work with galv HVAC).

But 5" PVC is nonexistent at local stores, and a gazillion $ at the online sources I've found. We don't have so many well drillers around here that I feel likely to find someone who wants to take the time to figure out how to sell some of their stock to me, and I'm striking out checking well drilling supply vendors.

And were you able to find 5" blast gates and a wide variety of fittings? It really feels like it's a 6" or 4" world outside of flex hose. Even in galvanized, a lot of fittings that are readily available for 4" and 6" aren't on the shelves.

I've powered forward with most of the build so far, but am stumped to figure out how to do this without stepping down immediately to 4". If doing that were the normal case, it seems like they would not have made the inlet 5" in the first place. There must be a ton of people using the SDD with 5" ducting, but I'll be darned if I can find good info on it.

Thanks for any thoughts you've got!

For some reason 5" is fairly common in PVC conduit. At least all the 5" I have seen is gray.
    Bill D

5” duct

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    For some reason 5" is fairly common in PVC conduit. At least all the 5" I have seen is gray.
    Bill D
    Huh, no luck (1 non-local supplier) online and none of the usual suspects around here have it. Well, I guess it makes sense that the big box stores wouldn’t have it, not a lot of homeowners running that much electrical :-) I’ll check some local industrial supply places tomorrow. Some online suppliers I’ve found promise “any size 1/2” to 12”, but sure enough, they skip right from 4” to 6”.

I guess I’ll call Oneida too, they must have had something in mind with that 5” port! There’s still the question of blast gates, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Matsumoto View Post
    And were you able to find 5" blast gates and a wide variety of fittings? It really feels like it's a 6" or 4" world outside of flex hose. Even in galvanized, a lot of fittings that are readily available for 4" and 6" aren't on the shelves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen Matsumoto View Post
    I guess I’ll call Oneida too, they must have had something in mind with that 5” port! There’s still the question of blast gates, etc.
    Yes, they do. They sell metal ducting in that size, and since it's harder to find PVC in 5" in some areas (I struck out totally in the Northeast), it's a captive audience. Manufacture and sell in a size only you carry, and you sell more.

I wound up buying from them, 5" 24ga all the way to within 6' of each station in my small shop. Was roughly $600 of pipe and fittings; a price I didn't want to pay.

With that small of a blower, just use the big box 5" hvac duct. There will be NO issue of collapse. There is a picture of a 10ft+ horizontal run of 6" 30 gauge hvac duct collapsed in a dust collector run using a much larger blower. A lot of reference is made to that picture and the cry for the need to use heavy expensive ducting. Instead the cheap and simple fix was to add a plywood ring every several feet (plywood with a 6" hole slid over the duct). This keeps the duct from collapsing, it adds a mounting bracket (use plywood ring to attach to wall or ceiling) and saves a considerable amount of money. The longer the run and bigger the diameter the more susceptible to collapse. A lot of small shop setups have enough joints and fittings that add enough rigidity to need few if any rings (every joint/connection will add rigidity).

Blast gates and hose are available here 5" Aluminum ~$12 http://www.blastgateco.com/Cast-Alum...last-Gates.php
    Whyes here ~$13 http://www.simplyplumbing.com/27013-smoke-flue-wye.html (these are actually longer than pictured ~24")
    and here ~$20 http://thesheetmetalkid.com/wye-bran...duct-fittings/

These wyes should come un-crimped allowing you to crimp the correct end for Dust collector flow (worth verifying that is still the case before you order)
    Last edited by Carl Kona; 01-25-2018 at 11:55 AM.
    Hope this helps. Let Us know what you do.

Carl

Thanks Carl for the links and information.
    I have a good Delta single stage DC with a good pleated filter and have been contemplating adding a cyclone from Oneida. Knowing that I can get by with the less expensive piping and fittings is great to hear.