Thread: laserworks upgrade?

laserworks upgrade?

i'm working in laserworks 5.3 (i think) with my 2013 hurricane laser. i'm drawing my engravings in coral draw and cutting from a dxf converter in sketchup, or directly from dxf files. laserworks can be a little buggy and doesn't always allow for a correct importation of files. is there an upgrade here? i thought i had read that i'd need to upgrade the circuit board/controller in my laser at the same time, but cannot remember where i came across this.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

You probably would need to get a newer controller to use the newer versions of LaserWorks (RDCAM).

Before you spend a bunch of money on new hardware you may want to wait a few weeks for LightBurn to be released. Features are being added on a daily basis, it is looking like it will be a great program that will work on many different machines. There are at least two of us here on SMC that are beta testing it.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

There is so much smoke and mirrors regarding who writes the OEM software for the different controllers. I think they may all be related because the software is so similar and they have similar flaws. For what it is worth, upgrading to a Ruida controller that uses RDWorks (RDcam is a sister program) may not help you because while RDWorks indicates it can import a number of different file types, in reality, only a few actually work consistently well.
    700mm x 500mm Ke Hui KH-7050 Laser
    80W EFR F2
    S&A CW5000 chiller
    Chuck style of rotary attachment

I'm also a beta tester for LightBurn. It works with most controllers and the coder has been able to make it work with a huge range of hardware. It's much nicer than RDWorks. I really think that may be your solution as Rich has said.
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.

thanks for the suggestions. lightburn sounds like the ticket.

Will it work with Trotecs?