Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestion(s) for a beginner

Suggestion(s) for a beginner

Good morning. I have had an interest in traditional woodworking (aka Woodwright's Shop) for a while. I am struggling with where to start. So many websites just have "the top 20 tools you need" or whatnot. Which sounds expensive, and doesn't help me actually start.

I found this website, http://www.renaissancewoodworker.com...-the-beginner/ and I liked his "just get started" approach. However, he is missing actual plans/instructions for doing any of the projects he suggested. It appears his site is dead, as there is not any recent content and he hasn't responded to direct inquiries. So I thought maybe I'd throw it out here.

Do you have any recommendations for where to go, online/offline, free/not-too-expensive, for plans with instructions for some of these simple projects? I was thinking of a small end table.

Anyways, thanks for any help. I do want to pursue this, but it is so daunting.

Peace,

-Dave

Lots of Paul Sellers' (woodworker/instructor/how-to author) stuff on his website is geared towards beginners and he advocates getting started with minimal tools (more in the sense of just get going and don't think you need all of the tools before getting started). He has free videos on basic tool-use techniques and also subscription-paid videos that walk you through projects that are geared towards beginners. If you have zero experience, this may be something to look into. I believe that an author named Jim Tolpin has a book out with beginner info and simple, beginner projects (maybe some shop made tools such as try squares, straight edges, winding sticks, etc.). Some of the techniques that will be required for your end table build can be developed when building the shop tools and/or shop cabinetry or storage. Often, you don't find lots of exact-cut-list type plans available but do find how-I-made-this type plans that are for you to apply to your own measurements. In the case of your end table, you decide how long, wide and tall you want it, then develop your own exact-cut lists. Much of the actual building is better off when you do not pre cut everything first, but rather take component measurements from the previously built pieces or section that will then result in the measurement of the next piece (does that make sense?) The actual measurements are not as important as the how-to and the in-what-sequence information. I believe you can order exact plans from sources such as Woodcraft, Rockler, etc., but don't know the cost and selection available. I would not be surprised if you provided some basic info and a simple sketch of what you want to build, folks here could advise you on leg size, apron width, mortise/tenon width, tenon length, table top build technique, top attachment to base, etc.
    David

What about sources, presumably in books, for furniture construction methods, terminology, joinery, etc..? I would also be interested in something on the history of the different 'styles' or eras of furniture making, even something on the different regions that had their own styles and methods for making furniture. This would go a long ways to helping me figure out what it is that I might like to build some day.
    Thanks,
    Dennis

Blog Entries
    Howdy Dave and welcome to the Creek.

You mention wanting to make an end table. That can be a simple start or an ambitious project. It all depends on what is wanted of the table and how it will be held together.

Where to start? Start with where you are and what you have. It isn't necessary to have an array of high end tools before starting.

If you are in the Portland, Oregon area let me know if you would like to get together to tryout some tools and techniques.

My woodworking by hand started with a hammer, crowbar and a saw. My first project was some lawn chairs for the back yard. The local library had a book with working drawings by a high school shop teacher published in 1937 or 1938. My first chair was made out of wood salvaged from pallets. My first purchases for new tools was a block plane and a chisel from a hardware store.

Even though at one time my employment was as a draughtsman, my projects seldom have drawings. Some of my repeating projects with shaped pieces will get a template made or drawn. Usually instead of a drawing, my work is laid out on a story stick. This works better for me than trying to read a measurement from a drawing and then a tape measure.

My point is if a person is going to pursue woodworking they will need to learn to make their own drawings either on a computer, on paper or in their mind. When one of my projects does get a drawing it is often just a sketch to work out dimensions.

Reading something from a blog recently the writer mentioned how they start with something and then remove everything that doesn't belong. In the case of an end table one could draw a block and then fill in the areas to be kept and remove all the rest.

This is a fairly simple table held together by screws:

Tile Top Side Table.jpg

The shaping on the aprons (sides) was the "fancy" part. For something with joinery instead of screws:

Bedside Table.jpg

This is a bedside table made for my wife. Imagine it without the turned legs and it becomes a lot simpler. This would require a chisel to make the mortises and a saw to cut the tenons. A small plane would help save on the sand paper. Make the top rectangular and it is simple.

Of course if you are going to use a plane and a chisel you will need a way to sharpen them.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

You might prowl around on the Popular Woodworking website for their I Can Do That Series. They have done a number of projects that will let you dip your toe in the water for a pretty modest tool investment.

If you let folks here know where you are located you might connect with someone who is willing to look over your shoulder and smooth out your learning curve a bit. Videos can be useful and I think they've probably made it much easier for folks starting now as opposed to those of us who tried to teach ourselves with a Tage Frid or James Krenov book decades ago, but having someone actually show you what a well tuned plane can do, could save you a lot of time spent chasing your tail. Luck into the right person and you might get access to tools that you'd love to have but can't really justify at your current spot in the hobby.

If you are willing to put drawer making off until your second or third project, your table should progress pretty quickly. Getting a nice glue up on your top and proper mortises in your legs and well fitting tenons in your apron pieces will give you plenty of opportunities for skill development in your first project. Good luck.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Tebo View Post
    What about sources, presumably in books, for furniture construction methods, terminology, joinery, etc..? I would also be interested in something on the history of the different 'styles' or eras of furniture making, even something on the different regions that had their own styles and methods for making furniture. This would go a long ways to helping me figure out what it is that I might like to build some day.
    Thanks,
    Dennis

One of the best places to start is in a library.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

I just checked and Paul Sellers does have a paid-subscription project titled "Make a Table". I think his subscription rate is $10-$15 p/mo? The table is probably not the size you wanted, but the measurements most likely can be modified to fit. Look into his Master something or other class video gallery and it should pop up.
    David

Hey, thanks for all the feedback so quickly. A few questions seem to be coming up, so let me address them.

First, I live near Indianapolis, Indiana.

Second, for my grand idea of an end table, something similar to this image, only without the drawer. And possibly not even with tapered legs. 4 legs, a top, and an apron (?) on each of the 4 sides. My thinking is to keep as simple as possible to maximize my chances of success.
    shaker-table.jpg

I have been reading some of Paul Sellers' blog posts this afternoon now that you have pointed me to him. I will look at his subscription as well.

Thanks,

-Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lemen View Post
    Hey, thanks for all the feedback so quickly. A few questions seem to be coming up, so let me address them.

First, I live near Indianapolis, Indiana.

Second, for my grand idea of an end table, something similar to this image, only without the drawer. And possibly not even with tapered legs. 4 legs, a top, and an apron (?) on each of the 4 sides. My thinking is to keep as simple as possible to maximize my chances of success.
    shaker-table.jpg

I have been reading some of Paul Sellers' blog posts this afternoon now that you have pointed me to him. I will look at his subscription as well.

Thanks,

-Dave
    Check his Youtube channel out. It is filled with hours upon hours of endless help for beginners.

Blog Entries
    Dave, besides your location, knowing what set up you have to start would also help to point you in the right direction.

What are you using for a workbench? Do you have a saw, plane or chisel and if so, which ones?

Tapering a leg isn't difficult with a bench plane like a #5.

The table you show is a fairly simple design to start. Instead of a drawer a shelf could be included. That is kind of a lesson to learn before putting a drawer in the "shelf" at a later time.

jtk

Table looks like one I made years ago....based on the one by Norm Abram. New Yankee Worksop has the plans, and a DVD...or used to..

Blog Entries
    I learned from Paul Sellers when he was at Homestead Heritage in Waco, Texas about 20 years ago. His method is good.

Have you looked around for a school in your area?

If you could attend a foundation class at the place below. That is where I attended his classes. He is not there anymore, but I know some of the guys there and they
    are as good.

http://www.sustainlife.org/heritage-...f-woodworking/

If you see the rocking chair in their literature, that was taught by Paul. I have one in my living room made out of mesquite wood. Mesquite is brown Texas wood.
    I also made the Windsor chair.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 12-06-2017 at 6:37 PM.

The end table you want to build is a shaker design. I made an exact copy of the shaker end table out of cherry. The drawer is useful, the bottom and sides are pine. Tapering the legs is worth the effort, it makes it look lighter and far more elegant. Just the inside faces are tapered, you can do this with a saw and a plane. Check your local library for shaker furniture books.
    The other joints are draw bored mortise and tenon; except above the drawer is a single dovetail on each end of the rail. You will just need a chisel and a small saw. It will give you good practice on a small project. The overhang of the top is relieved underneath to add to the light look.
    Tools: a panel saw, smoothing plane (4 or 4&1/2), two chisels (3/8" & smaller), Japanese pull saw (fine tooth), four 2' clamps and something to work on.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Winter View Post
    Check his Youtube channel out. It is filled with hours upon hours of endless help for beginners.
    I'd suggest looking into the Marc Adams school, it's practically in your back yard and the easiest way to learn is from experienced teachers.

It depends on a number of factors.

Will you be starting with milled lumber or rough sawn stock? If rough stock, then in addition to a smoothing plane, it might be handy to have a jack or a jointer. For your planes and chisels you will need some honing and sharpening capability.

What do you have in way of a work surface\bench?

Are you going to have to glue up boards for the top? There's an old wood working adage that you can never have too many clamps.

Those of us who've been at it for a while take for granted that we have measuring tools, marking tools, drills, clamps, work surfaces, vises, mallets ...

Depending on what your starting point is, an end table may not be the logical next project. It may be that you need to build a saw bench or a work surface with some basic work holding options. You might checkout Vic Tesolin's "The Minimalist Woodworker".

Tom Fidgen has a number of books, You Tube videos, and runs a school in Toronto. His book the Unplugged Woodshop has plans for a Sawyer's Bench.

If you share a bit more about your current kit, you might get more specific suggestions as to where to go next. I like the suggestion of using draw bore joinery as it reduces the need for clamps. Hope this helps.