Thread: Hammer K3 Crosscut Fence Issue

Hammer K3 Crosscut Fence Issue

Hello,
    I'm still getting acquainted with my K3, and have run into a problem I believe others have described with the 90 degree stop for the crosscut fence mounted to the slider. Basically, it won't stay fixed at 90 degrees for very long... The adjustment is tricky as the cam moves when you try to lock down the set screw.... Would appreciate learning about any modifications others have made to fix this. A bit surprising to have to deal with this on such an expensive (and otherwise well crafted) saw...
    Thanks,
    Izzy

think I would call the company, as I have had no problems with my K3 winner at all.

Hi Izzy, I have the screw snug, not really tight.

That allows adjustment of the cam, and it's still tight enough that it doesn't rotate.

I've had mine about 8 years without issue.

The short crosscut fence is far more accurate than a standard mitre gauge, however if you need a few thou over a few feet type of square, you should be using the outrigger and larger crosscut fence which has a very accurate stop since it's feet away from the pivot point.

You'll really enjoy your K3...........Regards, Rod.

Izzy, I started a similar thread recently: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...top&highlight=

Felder redesigned the stop and is selling it for $97. I was able to negotiate a $30 discount on the replacement part.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Scott,
    Thanks. Did the replacement work well for you?
    Izzy

I think this is one of my biggest complaints about the saw. So they have a US Felder/Hammer site to order one?

Thanks for posting the videos they where very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by C Scott McDonald View Post
    I think this is one of my biggest complaints about the saw. So they have a US Felder/Hammer site to order one?

Thanks for posting the videos they where very helpful.
    I came across this thread because I had the same issue with the Hammer K3 cross cut stop. Here is the replacement that Felder has available

http://uk.feldershop.com/en/Sawing/A...ing-table.html

I've been using the replacement stop for about a year now. It has been perfectly reliable.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Hey Izzy,

Saw someone had posed the UK site link for the part; if you haven't ordered yet here is the link for the US site. This will take you directly to the part.

http://us.feldershop.com/en-US/en-US...ing-table.html

All the best

The short tab on the cam can be held in place with an adjustable wrench while the screw is tightened.

As a follow-up, I bought the new 90 degree stop from Felder several months ago, and it works well. At that time it didn't appear on their website because they considered it a replacement/upgrade part, and not an accessory...but Liz at Felder (Sacramento) was able to place the order for me...cost about $90 if I recall correctly...a bit annoying but it did solve the problem.
    On the topic of K3 sliders, or other sliders for that matter...as a relatively new slider user it seems to me that some sort of fence on the LEFT of the slider, parallel to the blade, would allow you to reference rip cuts nicely; used in conjunction with the crosscut fence you could have 2 stable points of reference and support. I saw a video of Sam Blasco doing this on his large MM slider...but he was using a large positioner similar to the Incra Router Positioner...too large for the K3. So, I was wondering if anyone else has tried to devise a mini-fence of sorts that would be placed on the left side of the slider, exactly parallel to the slider and blade, and adjust in/out with respect to the blade to index the width of a rip cut....seems like it would be very useful...
    Thanks,
    Izzy

Hi Izzy

This is a familiar topic on this forum. It is referred to as a Fritz & Frans jig ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Hi Derek,
    Yes, I remember seeing your very nice jig now! Looks like you mounted the Incra fence on top of the wood (?screwed through the bottom of the fence) and fashioned a runner to fit in the K3 slot...any other construction details would be most appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Regards from California!
    Izzy

Sam Blasco demonstrates his answer to an F&F Jig in this video. Does anyone know what brand the positioner is that he uses in the early part of the video for parallel cuts.

Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening