Thread: Union plane info

Union plane info

The kool-aid down here tastes funny. I hope my 1st Neander post is worthy....

Bought this at a pawn shop in Sand Springs, OK. Researching Union planes doesn't provide a lot info. What I think I have is a #6G or #7G. Length is 18", which after reading through an old catalog made me question it being a #7. What say you?

I'm gonna restore (clean and tune) and use it.

IMG_8601.jpgIMG_8603.jpgIMG_8606.JPGIMG_8607.JPGIMG_8608.JPGIMG_8609.jpgIMG_8611.jpgIMG_8612.jpg

From what I've gathered: Mid-era, pre-Stanley. I found nothing on the handle having a dual species, just mahogany, so I'm assuming "BJ" made it in '65. Stamp under the handle is 7.5^1.

I gave $45.

Thanks for looking
    -Lud

What you have appears to me to be a #6 Union by Stanley. They were made between 1920 and 1942. Here is a picture of my #7 Union by Stanley. Union #7.JPG

Blog Entries
    The brand on the blade reads, "Union Mfg Company." This was changed to Union Plane Company in 1917 if my memory is working. The plane division was spun off from the Union Manufacturing before it was bought by Stanley.

The handle may be a replacement.

Here is a link to the 1905 catalog:

http://www.toolemera.com/catpdf/union1905cat.pdf

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks for the link Jim. I had found that catalog and the size of the 6G matches mine. I'm confused as to the stamp under the handle "7.5" with a small 1 above the 5 like a power. 7.5^1
    -Lud

Many times, those numbers under a frog are more to id the cavity of the mold they came out of.

I checked my #7 last night. It has the same inscription on the iron.

union planes.jpg
    At one time, I have a set of Union Bench planes.....before I switched over to Millers Falls...

Blog Entries
    I have a #4 Bailey that came to me as a rust bucket, no iron or lever cap with a broken tote. It now has a repaired tote. I spliced a piece of maple into the broken part.
    I sand blasted the japanning off and coated it with automotive black paint. I added a Hock Iron, cap iron and a Stanley Lever Cap.

I now have a nice #4 Bailey with a racing stripe that will produce translucent shavings.

OBTW, the Hock Iron and lever cap are a worthwhile investment. They give the plane a different feel. I highly recommend them.

The tote is rosewood, so probably is a replacement. I've seen a couple of Stanley planes where there is a band of sapwood on either the tote or knob.

Thanks for the replies, gentlemen. I'm gonna get her cleaned and tuned and see what kind of cut it makes.
    -Lud

Hi Steven, what was your reasoning for the switch? Collector's itch or a more practical matter?

Have never had a bit of chatter out of the Millers Falls that replaced the Union planes. As for sargent made planes.....can't seem to keep them in the shop.....used those to buy decent Stanley planes.