Thread: Walnut with water based top coat ... what to bring out the character in the wood?

Walnut with water based top coat ... what to bring out the character in the wood?

Im finishing a walnut kitchen table top, I'm hoping to shoot the top with a water based topcoat, probably GF Enduro Clear Poly. On some test pieces Im finding it really doesn't do much for the character of the wood, which in this case Is a bummer, theres a lot going on with some curly bits, and mixed heart and sapwood. I want a non-yellowing topcoat, but is there something I can do to enhance the character of the wood but also keep compatibility with the topcoat?

The short of it ... what are you guys using to enhance the depth of walnut under a WB top coat so its not so lifeless? While Im trying to avoid yellowing Im willing to make some concessions on this project as its a big 40"x72" top so I want it to pop.

Ive seen some test pieces of garnet shellac under WB poly but it still seems to lack the wow-factor of its oil-based brethren. Any experience there? Help is appreciated!

Dye is your friend. This is Transtint dye on walnut followed by EnduroVar.

Or use a light wipe of BLO followed by Sealcoat shellac, and then your WB topcoat. That's what I did with this walnut using GF's High Performance Poly as the topcoat.

FWIW, Enduro Clear Poly is my favorite all purpose WB product.

John

John,

That looks pretty good! Especially the latter example. Maybe a swipe of BLO or other oil can get me the depth Im looking for then proceed with the topcoat. Just curious, why did you go with sealcoat shellac over the BLO in that case? What did that get you opposed to just hitting it with the GF HP poly?

Looks great, thanks for the feedback.

Some finishes have a tendency to fail when applied directly over oils, such as BLO. The Seal Coat is a wax free shellac. Almost all finishes will adhere to wax free shellac. It makes a good barrier coating while allowing the oil, in this case BLO, to pop the grain. Yet, personally, I wouldn't want wax free shellac as a final finish because of the usual short comings of shellac.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

By chance were you using WB Garnet shellac? If so it just doesn't pop like alcohol based shellac. Like the others I use Sealcoat and find it pops the grain beautifully. Topcoat with a gloss WB like GF or Target EM2000. Let it cure and buff to whatever sheen you want. If you want a repairable finish consider looking into Rubio Monocoat, single coat oil.

As Ken said, don't put WB topcoats directly over BLO or you risk it peeling off down the road. Sealcoat provides the intermediate bonding layer needed for a finish that will survive over the long haul.

John

Thanks everyone. Ill see if I can do some demos of BLO under shellac and spray some poly and see how it works!

Christopher, I use that finishing method "all the time". Just be sure you are using de-waxed shellac. Anything "poly" will not adhere to waxy shellac. Sealcoat is the easy way to obtain it ready mixed and that's what I spray as my barrier coat.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...