Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Faithfull Tools?

Faithfull Tools?

I have been looking for a convex spokeshave and found these
    faithfulltools.com/p/FAISSTWIN/Spokeshave-Twin-Pack-Concave-and-Convex
    they are available on ebay too..

are they any good or should I just save my money for a clifton...
    Carpe Lignum

Quote Originally Posted by phil harold View Post
    I have been looking for a convex spokeshave and found these
    faithfulltools.com/p/FAISSTWIN/Spokeshave-Twin-Pack-Concave-and-Convex
    they are available on ebay too..

are they any good or should I just save my money for a clifton...
    Those are almost certainly repainted/rebranded Kunz #50/#55 spokeshaves. You'll find a fair number of reviews if you search for those.

The price is pretty good relative to what we would pay for the same tools here in the US, and to what fine-tools asks in Germany. With that said they're not very well-regarded tools on the whole.

Generally Kunz makes the junkiest tools have seen!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Generally Kunz makes the junkiest tools have seen!
    Some might beg to differ, they might claim Kunz is good at making things that sort of look like a tool. They might make good movie props if they do not have to be used.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Kunz does make some usable tools, my Kunz+ number 3:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    An old saying:

Buy an expensive tool and cry when you pay for it, buy a cheap tool and cry every time you use it.

Maybe better than the lesser-known brand, Unfaithfull tools...but if they're Kunz tools, spend your money on going to yard sales, instead.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    An old saying:

Buy an expensive tool and cry when you pay for it, buy a cheap tool and cry every time you use it.
    There's also another old saying Lowell, "It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools".

Quote Originally Posted by John Schtrumpf View Post
    Kunz does make some usable tools, my Kunz+ number 3:
    The Kunz+ planes are very different from (and very much more expensive than) their older tool line we're talking about here. Those have indeed built up a decent reputation.

As always you get what you pay for. As somebody else pointed out you'd probably be better off in the used market than with the really cheap new stuff though.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    There's also another old saying Lowell, "It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools".
    A pair of very poorly made spokeshaves was given to me. My guess is not too many craftsmen would say kind words about them. A decent craftsman doesn't blame his tools because they would likely refuse to use an item that only looks like a tool.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

No Jim. A good craftsmen would no how to tune that tool to make it work to its optimum. A far cry from where we are now where that need is now left to the manufacturer because the user cant be bothered taking the time to acquire that skill.
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 12-09-2017 at 12:43 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    No Jim. A good craftsmen would no how to tune that tool to make it work to its optimum. A far cry from where we are now where that need is now left to the manufacturer because the user cant be bothered taking the time to acquire that skill.
    Stewie,

Many of my posts have the intention of encouraging folks to put some time into fettling vintage tools.

Some tools are beyond fettling for those of us who do not have a machine shop. Some are so bad they do not posses the ability to be transformed even by the most well equipped shops.

Some tools may actually serve a better purpose by being melted for scrap.

A good craftsperson doesn't blame their tools because a good craftsperson won't have a tool that is going to let them down.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 12-09-2017 at 1:33 AM. Reason: A good craftsperson

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Many of my posts have the intention of encouraging folks to put some time into fettling vintage tools.

Some tools are beyond fettling for those of us who do not have a machine shop. Some are so bad they do not posses the ability to be transformed even by the most well equipped shops.
    I actually saw a magazine article (in FWW maybe?) that suggested fixing the Kunz shaves by moulding a platform of epoxy between the existing bed and the iron. It's amazing what lengths people will sometimes go to to salvage a disastrous tool like that.

Not shooting the debate with a 10 foot pole, save to say that accusing you of "giving up on" tools is risible.

Soooo...somewhere on the plane.....there is a Kunz trade mark? Might have been made in India, for all one can guesstimate , or assume?

Patrick; got to admit I had to do a search on the meaning of risible.

Stewie;