Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What happened to "thank you"?

Like the rest of you, I am disappointed in the social skills of today's younger people (and some older ones). I remember when all our neighbors were addressed as Mr. or Mrs. as were our teachers--without exception. I was concerned that my grandsons were remiss on this subject and I bought each of them a book as a Christmas present--something along the line of "how to be a gentleman". I'm not sure they have read them but I'm hoping so.

Sadly, TV has taken a toll on the behavior of too many in our society. It's up to each of us to do our part and hope that a little kindness and civility rubs off on others.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    I agree. Leaving it out like that means you don't want to be bothered; you just want to get rid of it. I think it would have been rude to have thanked you.
    So I went to the trouble of putting it on craigslist for free , taking and responding to 8-10 calls and I don't want to be bothered, that's ridiculous......how did I become the bad guy?
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    I wonder if you would be surprised if I told you that a large number of people here, who have won FreeStuff Drawings, failed to say thank you to the drawing sponsor.
    I'm not even surprised for not receiving a thank you for donations I made to other forums.

Sort of related... I left a weight bench out on the curb with a sign that said "free, take it". Someone did and I was happy to be rid of it.

Then, 3 days later it appeared in my driveway again. No note. No nothing. I guess they didnt want it and didnt want to dispose of it themselves. So they brought it back. Thank YOU!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

"Thank You" went out the window along with the use of turn signals!
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Sort of related... I left a weight bench out on the curb with a sign that said "free, take it". Someone did and I was happy to be rid of it.

Then, 3 days later it appeared in my driveway again. No note. No nothing. I guess they didn't want it and didn't want to dispose of it themselves. So they brought it back. Thank YOU!
    That's really funny. I guess they figured they could return it, just like at a store!

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by dennis thompson View Post
    So I went to the trouble of putting it on craigslist for free , taking and responding to 8-10 calls and I don't want to be bothered, that's ridiculous......how did I become the bad guy?
    Dennis, you're not the bad guy. You did the right thing. You did a favor for the lucky recipient. It's not your fault he didn't express his gratitude but there's nothing you can do to instill a sense of courtesy in someone else and I hope it doesn't damp your will next time you decide to do a good deed.

Dennis, you are not the bad guy. I think you have unrealistic expectations, considering the signal you may have unknowingly sent by putting the bike at the curb. Everywhere I am aware of along the east coast, the custom of putting things along the curb, is so that folks can retrieve it easily without bothering the person who put it there. I certainly do not want folks coming back my 1/4 mile driveway, getting my dogs upset, interrupting my day, making me stop what I am doing, so they can say thank you and exchange some meaningless small talk. They did me a favor by taking the stuff. I feel then like I must thank them. It is just easier to let them take it quietly. I don't need somebody interrupting me from baling hay, feeding the livestock, plowing, mowing or any other farm chores to say thank you. When I put stuff at the curb, bothering me to say thanks, is a major unwelcome imposition. If the guy said thanks during your phone conversation, he did all that customs in this area require.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Malakoff View Post
    Rick
    Are they still putting turn signals on vehicles? I guess my mind reading skills are weak, because so many people get pissed off when I didn't read their mind that they wanted over.

To me, it's all about showing a little respect towards others. Definitely a trait we are losing.

You're not the bad guy but I agree with those who say that the message you sent by leaving it out in the driveway was take it and don't bother me. How do you even know that the guy who went to the trouble of answering your ad took the bike? Maybe someone just walked by saw it and took it or maybe the guy saw that you left it out and assumed you weren't home. Why did you put it out rather than wait for the guy to knock on the door if you wanted a thank you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    You're not the bad guy but I agree with those who say that the message you sent by leaving it out in the driveway was take it and don't bother me. How do you even know that the guy who went to the trouble of answering your ad took the bike? Maybe someone just walked by saw it and took it or maybe the guy saw that you left it out and assumed you weren't home. Why did you put it out rather than wait for the guy to knock on the door if you wanted a thank you.
    I didn't say I wanted a thank you, I just expected most people would offer one. I'm amazed at the criticism I'm getting for offerin a free bike. I guess another example of the lack of courtesy in the world today
    Dennis

Not sure how to make it clear Dennis. You sent a signal that says "here, don't bother me" by setting the bike at the street. Had you kept in safely in the garage until the guy knocked on the door, then yes, he should have said thank you. You sent the message and in that context, he responded appropriately.

I didn't say I wanted a thank you, I just expected most people would offer one. I'm amazed at the criticism I'm getting for offerin a free bike. I guess another example of the lack of courtesy in the world today
    Good grief, calm down.
    You aren't being criticized.
    Others have simply pointed out how, in this specific case, your expectations don't match reality.

We're all very sorry your thread hasn't gone exactly as you wanted.

I turn a lot of plates and bowls. I have in the past couple of years made 3 of what I call wedding plates, A plate about 12 inches in diameter, with the bride and grooms name, date etc, inscribed and wood burned on the rim. One was for a niece that was married 2 years ago, never heard a word from her, one was for another child of an aquantance who was married about a year ago, never heard anything from them, one was for another couple that married this past September, I got a nice thankyou about 2 months later. So I guess one out of three is my record. I enjoy making the plates, however they are quiet time consuming, but it would be nice to know if the recipients ever got the gift and to receive some sort of acknowledgement of it. These were not 18 year old couples but people in their late 20s and early 30s. Jared

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Malakoff View Post
    Rick
    Around here most people think they activate the turn signals when the step on the pedal to the immediate left of the gas pedal.

That or they think turn signals are optional equipment and they didn't order them.