Thread: Hitachi 2.25 plunge router stuck

Hitachi 2.25 plunge router stuck

Hey guys so a couple years ago my uncle got me the hitachi plunge router 2.25hp for Christmas. New out of the box the variable speed knob turned but the speed never went up; it’s simply stuck in low speed. Given I never used routers then anyways I wasn’t proactive and just left it sitting in the box. Now i am in need of it and it has come back to bite me.

Do you guys know of any ideas of what may be going on? If so, is this fixable or should I just can it?

Could be a connection between the knob or the speed controller board. Not super expensive to fix. Probably a $60-80 part if its the board or maybe just assembled wrong and free to fix. Here is an example for a Hitachi M12VC

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/co...pfqh7ugfad1uk6
    Last edited by Joe Jensen; 12-08-2017 at 11:32 AM.

I suspect Joe is correct about the speed controller board, that seems to be a weak link on several models. I assume the warranty has expired? I had the speed controller fail on a P-C 8529 and no new one available. I just removed the speed controller, ran power from the switch straight to the motor. I bought an external speed control which works fine but isn't as convenient.

Thanks guys I’ll give it a try!

Funny, I had the same issue with my M12v2 big plunge router earlier this year. This thing is over 10 years old. Had to take it in. $125.00, and 8 WEEKS later (evidentally Hitachi isn't so good at stocking their own parts. I could have ordered the part from ereplacements for an additionals $40.00) I got it back and it's working like a champ. Still, I won't be doing this again. Hitachi doesn't seem to market their routers with repair in mind past the warrantee date.