Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best wood for Mallets??

Blog Entries
    Do you think there are enough people who would like some chunks to make it worth the effort?
    Mark me as one who is interested.

Mallet making can be fun.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    I just remembered where I got my big maple mallet. Old age does that to you.

I was at a class at Homestead Heritage in Texas being conducted by Paul Sellers. One of his sons was making these really nice mallets. The son was a preteen at the time and I bought one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Olexa View Post
    I've got a chunk of ash you could make a mallet or two out of.

Jeff, thank you for your kind offer (again)....Fortunately, I have many hardwood scraps to incorporate into a mallett..The holidays seem to be interfering with my progress..Nice of you to offer..
    Have a good holiday...Early 2018, we can schedule a meeting..even though you are some distance. sincere thanks,
    Jerry
    Anytime, Jerry. And yes, the 5 mile trek over can be wrought with danger, so drive carefully.

In regards to persimmon, for my uses, it is resawn thin, 1/4" to 3/8" (depends on plane) and cut on the bias at the same bed angle of the plane being built, so end grain matches bed angle.

Here's a few pictures of how I cut it, and my small stash, if you don't mind the hijack, Jerry....

persimmon bias cut.jpg

cherry plane boxing.jpg

persimmon boxing.jpg
    Jeff

Speaking of persimmon...and completely off topic...one of my Mother’s Christmas cookie traditions is a persimmon cookie. Must say, it is my wife’s favorite and a delicious childhoon and adult memory. Given that, I’d prefer the fruit to the wood I do hope the fruit on your trees goes to good use.

Now back to mallets.....

I have a Lignum Vitae carvers mallet that I've had for 35 years. It's the heaviest mallet in my collection (that stuff is dense), and sees service at my lathe. I've also turned mallets from red oak and cherry that are very nice. The one below was made for a "mallet swap" in another forum and is fancier than what I normally make. The head is bubinga and maple with some black veneer. The handle is Brazilian rosewood trimmed with maple and ebony. Its recipient was very pleased.

Mallet 2.jpg

I would think so Dave. That is one beautiful mallet.

Just made a pile of these to give to some friends (almost done, just need a final sanding and some finish)...Quercus chrysolepis, a west coast oak that we call "Canyon Oak", but it is also known as "Maul Oak", so I figured it would make a good mallet.
    mallets.jpg

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scott lipscomb View Post
    Just made a pile of these to give to some friends (almost done, just need a final sanding and some finish)...Quercus chrysolepis, a west coast oak that we call "Canyon Oak", but it is also known as "Maul Oak", so I figured it would make a good mallet.
    mallets.jpg
    Looks like a nice pile of whackers.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I have found lignum vitae to make a great mallet. That said, hard maple and yes ipe are fine as well. I'd go for ipe if performance and value were important.