Thread: ideas for school presentation

ideas for school presentation

My wife is teaching a class on the Puritans at our home school coop in the spring to middle schoolers. She’s asked me to do a presentation on woodworking. I plan on taking my wooden planes and a brace and bit.

Any suggestions or ideas on what to do for the presentation?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wilkins View Post
    ... Any suggestions or ideas on what to do for the presentation?
    A lot of what Peter Follansbee has done is from around that time. As I recall a lot of riven oak, etc. Off the top of my head, his appearances on Woodwright's Shop, Plimoth Plantation (maybe something on their website), and Peter's own website, books, etc. might provide ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by David Bassett View Post
    A lot of what Peter Follansbee has done is from around that time. As I recall a lot of riven oak, etc. Off the top of my head, his appearances on Woodwright's Shop, Plimoth Plantation (maybe something on their website), and Peter's own website, books, etc. might provide ideas.
    If I had a froe I would get some fire wood and rive it but alas I don’t. I’ve been thinking of his stuff in all of this. Thanks for the suggestion.

Blog Entries
    I would take some pine wood and let them make saw dust, shavings, and bore holes with a brace and bit.

Blog Entries
    Do you have any molding planes or hollows and rounds?

Another trick that comes to mind is tell the students they can write their name on the edge of a board and then you will put it in your pocket. Take a shaving that includes their name and then put it in your pocket. Many of the students will likely want a shaving with their name on it.

Bring in a piece of wood you split out with an axe and true up one surface to show them how wood was worked before the days of machines.

You could also make a quick hat & coat rack with some pegs, a short piece of wood using the brace and bit.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Joint stool ,"used for seated work ....cow milking, woodwork, to serve as short ladder, make two and you have a coffin stand".

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wilkins View Post
    If I had a froe....
    In SMC tradition, a perfect reason to get a froe! (And a joiner's axe)

How much time do you have? Actually demonstrating a project can take a long time, so I wonder about getting a video of e.g. Peter Follansbee doing his panel chest build and then focusing on a hands-on demo of an aspect you have the tools to do. E.g. come with a couple presplit wedges of white oak and square and flatten them with a wood plane.

Might add a bow saw to take along.....even the Ship's Carpenter had a few on the Mayflower...

Quote Originally Posted by David Bassett View Post
    ... getting a video....
    Don't know if it's suitable, but found one video:

Peter & the Box

which creates a simple period box with hewn oak, a carved panel, & simple blacksmith hardware.

This example doesn't use an axe (hatchet, in American), but does use wedges or a froe (shows both ways), wooden planes, backsaw, chisels, hammer, & carving gouges.

Blog Entries
    Not sure if this would be a good idea but it is kids working on a simple project with adults:

http://www.finewoodworking.com/2017/...&mid=268271405

Much of the work could be done outside of the classroom.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 12-09-2017 at 3:09 PM. Reason: Much of the work...
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)