Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NOVA Voyager DVR Drill press

NOVA Voyager DVR Drill press

Hey all. I know at least a couple folks here have this drill press so now that it's been out for a while how happy are you with it and would you buy it again?

I'm thinking of picking one up while it's on sale (until Dec 31). The only drill press I've ever owned is a Ryobi variable speed bench top and while it has held it's ground well, it's time. I know this NOVA is complete overkill for me but I think I like it and just need pushed over the edge. So, what do ya say... will ya push me?

No, I haven't really looked at any other serious drill presses. The local Woodcraft does not have the NOVA on the show floor and any other place I might be able to get hands on one is nearly 100 miles away.

Thanks for any feedback.

John,
    I picked one up about two months as my first drill press. Vey quiet and smooth. As you probably know there are menus to pick the bit type and size as well as the material you are drilling to set the speed and yes I did use that at first, now I just use the presets for a particular speed. What I really like using is the digital depth stop. I've never used the traditional one on the side. So far I've just used forstner bits to drill holes for my workbench build. I have no perceivable runout in my drill press.
    Great drill press, probably the best you can get in that price range. Just like you are looking to do, I picked one up on sale.
    Dennis

If you get one wait for one of the 10-15% off coupons from AcmeTools.com. With NOVAs recent $150 price drop the Voyager can be had for as low as $1150 shipped with no tax for most.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I have had mine for about 6 months and love it. It is so easy to dial up a perfect speed from very slow to very fast. It has 6" of quill travel and now quill slop and very low run out.

Expensive yes but worth every penny.

Dennis,
    Thanks for the feedback, really appreciate it. You've moved me a bit closer to the edge but I still have a couple weeks to drive my wife and self crazy . The digital depth stop is one of the features that really draws me in, among others like the depth of it since there's no motor hanging on the rear (question below). 50rpm is appealing as well since I do use a fly cutter from time to time. Kinda scary with the 500rpm min of my current one

Ben,
    I like the way you think but I'll probably use my Amazon points to cover a large portion of the cost so that's really not an option since I'd have to order through Amazon.

Quick question... how far from a wall would it stick out in order for the table crank to work easily? I'm hoping ~27-28" is enough and from what I've been able to gather it should be but it would be nice to know for sure beforehand. My current setup sticks out about 25" from the wall which leaves a little more than 24" to the jointer; not a whole lot to spare.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    I have had mine for about 6 months and love it. It is so easy to dial up a perfect speed from very slow to very fast. It has 6" of quill travel and now quill slop and very low run out.

Expensive yes but worth every penny.
    Thanks Larry!

Not trying to turn this into a question and answer thread but one thing I've read is that the alarm is waaaay too soft, basically inaudible with the drill press running/cutting not even considering ear plugs in and a dust collector running. Have they been able to improve it with firmware or is it a hardware issue? Not that this really plays into the decision, it doesn't, just curious.

I have had my finger on the trigger and off for a couple weeks now. I first put my hands on the drill press at the Tampa wood show this past winter. While there I also was able to talk to one of the development engineers for quite some time. I should have bought one at the show while they were having their introduction sale price. I was nervous though because it was such new technology. I knew then I wanted one though.

I know the machine is primarily a woodworking drill press, but I also do hobby and craft metal work. How does the Voyager handle steel ? What is the rated drilling capacity in steel ? Is the $1349 price I see most everywhere the new street price, or is that a sale price ?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hayward View Post
    Is the $1349 price I see most everywhere the new street price, or is that a sale price ?
    Hi Robert,
    On NOVA's web site it says "Offer is open to all US residents, from Oct 1st through Dec 31 2017. Only while supplies last."

Is there a square chisel mortising attachment that fits the Voyager?
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

John,

Placing the drill press against the wall with enough room to turn the handle will have you out at 27 inches. As for the depth warning I have no trouble hearing it. You can also set it to turn off when it hits the depth, so there's no need to actually hear it!

Dennis

Is it necessary to have a Windows computer to do software/firmware updates?

The only issue I have with the Voyager Drill press is the upgrade. I was not able to get it to work and others also have had problems. However, Teknatool went above and beyond helping me with this.

I would check to see what version is on the one you buy.

Even with the upgrade issue, I love mine.

Over the edge

Thanks for the nudge guys . The order has been placed and is scheduled to be delivered in a couple weeks.

@Larry, I'll definitely be verifying/upgrading the firmware as soon as it's up and running. Hopefully without issue but not going to worry about it. Thanks again!

John, I think you made the right decision; you will not be disappointed. I bought my Nova back in March on sale and have never regretted it.

A couple of years ago I bought a new PM2800B because I was finally tired of being restricted to the 3 inch quill travel in my old drill press. But I had a couple of major issues with the PM when I got it. And rather than deal with the hassle of getting it fixed under warranty (I bought it from out of state) I spent a few hours fixing the issues myself. So when the Nova came out I sold the PM and bought it. The electronic speed control, smooth running and quietness are the best features for me.

Like some others I had trouble getting the firmware upgrade to work but a quick call to Nova support took care of that. Very friendly and helpful folks.

And to answer Robert's question, I have drilled quite a bit of steel with it, probably even more than wood since I've had it. And a lot of my metal projects require large holes in thick steel. I have drilled one inch holes in half inch steel no problem. And this was actually one of the reasons I bought the Nova. The PM2800B is also variable speed (mechanical) but only goes down to 250 RPM. Large bits in steel need to go slower than that. The Nova goes down to 50 RPM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Ziebron View Post
    And to answer Robert's question, I have drilled quite a bit of steel with it, probably even more than wood since I've had it. And a lot of my metal projects require large holes in thick steel. I have drilled one inch holes in half inch steel no problem. And this was actually one of the reasons I bought the Nova.
    Thanks, that was an answer I was waiting to hear. I just finished a project that needed 10 holes 3/4" in 3/8" plate and my 33 year old Craftsman handled it with ease using a little cutting oil at 400 RPM. The old Craftsman has a 13" swing that limits the size of my work. I had to do the two center holes with a big Milwaukee hand held drill and snapped a 3/4" bit when it broke through and hung on a chip on the first hole. I am ready to order.