Thread: Renew Old Shellawax?

Renew Old Shellawax?

Just got back to some pen turning and found that my jar of Shellawax dried up. I thought I read somewhere that you can renew it by adding something to it. Is that right and what's the something that you have to add to it? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Arita View Post
    Just got back to some pen turning and found that my jar of Shellawax dried up. I thought I read somewhere that you can renew it by adding something to it. Is that right and what's the something that you have to add to it? Thanks!
    I believe Shellawax and Shellawax Cream are shellac based so you should be able to use alcohol as thinner. The MSDS on both indicate they are 30-60 ethanol and up to 5% turpentine. I would try denatured alcohol (the ethanol type, not the lower quality DNA with methanol).

However, I would probably throw it out and buy some fresh.

JKJ

Even when it is going hard, or has sort of gone hard, Shellawax cream can mostly be rejuvenated by vigorous stirring; I have used a steel rod.

If that doesn't work you can add some methylated spirits, which is alcohol with approximately 10% of methanol added so you cannot drink it. So John's advice is correct.

You can always go to their website which has some pretty good information and in fact, does address your exact problem.

You can find the information below from here:

http://www.ubeaut.com.au/cream.html

The Extra questions are here, scroll down to, "Fixes for More Problems."

http://www.ubeaut.com.au/swinfo.htm

Mick.

Q/ My Shellawax Cream has gone hard in the jar. How can I restore it?

A/ Stirring it vigorously will bring it back to a creamy consistency. If it is still not thin enough add a little Shellawax (liquid). If you don’t have Shellawax add a LITTLE BIT of Methylated Spirits do not drown the mix and use this only as a LAST RESORT.