Thread: Printing text issues

Printing text issues

<p>
    So I have 3 issues when printing small text (under font size 8). Either the text gets screwed up or doubled up or the letters slope and look like they are going to fall of the work. Here are 2 examples : https://imgur.com/a/YD7aM Look at the LAND in New Zealand and see how the letters slope downward at the end. Font is arial, 8. Or look at the line of words above this, again the letters at the end start to slope downward. https://imgur.com/gzWC6ys Here, for some reason, letters just start to double up rendering the work ##@@@**** useless. This does not affect the entire line of text either, I will have this text repeated 8 times across an 80cm line. The first 3 etches are ok, the next 3 crap then the last 2 kind of ok. Font is Borgia Pro, size 4. I have tried printing as text, as clipart, on throughputs 5, 6 and 7 (average, semi fine, fine) with lots of different power settings. Also tried manual settings with contrast, definition and density. The text is truetype. I have also tried printing from a pdf image but doing this, whilst stopping the falling off the page, makes the tect unclear, not as sharp. Local support has offered no help, reckons he has never seen or heard about this problem before. Suggests the driver is corrupted but I am running the latest version and religously reinstall it after every windows update. The problem is not new, I posted about it a few years ago with no good cure found and then stopped doing any work like this because of the problems. However this work is for a friend and I am tearing my hair out trying to work out why the machine is screwing it up. If anyone prints really small text and uses a universal, how do you go about getting it to etch out ok?</p>
    <p>
    And for another problem look at the vertical line seperating the 2 text sections. This is meant to be a straight vertical line. Print it on its own and it prints out straight, print it at the same time as the text and it goes all wobbly. Machine is calibrated and tuned.</p>
    <p>
    ps - when aligning text to the customer template - I use Corel, type up the line, convert to curves, break curve apart and then align each letter individually to the customer supplied template. My understanding is this is now an object in Corel and not a tt font so when it gets sent to the laser it is as an object. I have seen the laser screw up with certain tt fonts hence why I always convert small and unusual tt font text to objects.</p>
    Last edited by Allan Longson; 12-09-2017 at 5:47 AM. Reason: added line issue
    Universal 60W Laser, VLS6.60
    Driver 5.31.54.5

It's been a while since I've seen that one, but if I remember correctly, it was a driver issue. I believe Universal had us uninstall everything and install it again and it cleared the problem up. You'd have to check with Universal tech support, but that's what I seem to remember. I know it wasn't a mechanical or electrical issue and it was solved without putting any parts on.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Uninstalled all software and reinstalled latest driver. If I set the throughput to 7 (highest quality) the letters screw up, set at 6 or under and they print out straight. So it has to be a driver issue and I will take it up with support.
    Universal 60W Laser, VLS6.60
    Driver 5.31.54.5

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Longson View Post
    Uninstalled all software and reinstalled latest driver. If I set the throughput to 7 (highest quality) the letters screw up, set at 6 or under and they print out straight. So it has to be a driver issue and I will take it up with support.
    Excellent troubleshooting Allan! I think you nailed it.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.