Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: One down ...

One down ...

So now i am interested in building Windsor chairs, starting with three bar stools for the kitchen bench. First I need the tools. I decided to make a few, starting with this travisher ...

Thanks to Pete Galbert (for the supporting emails) and Claire Minahan (for the video and emails). Claire has a video building Pete's design. She makes and sells these now. The video was made a few years ago, before the design was updated with a brass sole (rather, it used an ebony sole, which necessitated a slightly wider body). I chose to built it with the brass sole, which is where the extra emails came in.

The blade is O1, bent, heat-treated and tempered in my shop. The timber is She-oak.

Front ...

Back ...

Sole and blade ...

I tried it across pine grain ...

It was hard to stop

It works the same on hard maple. Forward pressure = light shavings. Back pressure = heavy shavings.

Regards from Perth

Derek

That's way cool as they say in SoCal, I'm always an impressed with your degree of craftsmanship.
    Rick

Looks like it'll work. That she-oak makes some nice looking tools.
    Jim

Blog Entries
    Nicely done! Hard maple....you are a glutton for punishment
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Excellent work. That wood is lovely.

Thanks James. Thanks Robert.

Brian, knowing the hours you put in, that is the pot calling the kettle black!

Regards from Perth

Derek

That's a beaut Derek and I am looking forward to seeing the seats before-during-after the travisher work. And, while I have you, thanks for the tip on sharpening router blades with a grinder. That PIA task has now been downgraded to the manageable category in my shop.
    David

Blog Entries
    I had a travisher one time. And then, Hurricane Harvey rolled through . . . . . ...........

A lot of stuff is mislaid or ? Maybe it it will turn up.

Oh well, we are on our way back, our house is intact, it has new floors, and was thoroughly renovated. We have new furniture as well.
    My wife's car is new. FEMA came through for us.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 12-09-2017 at 11:44 AM.

Glad to hear it Lowell. For some reason, I thought that the water came into your area but did not get your house. I wondered when we did not hear from you for a while. What is the status of the shop?
    David

Blog Entries
    As usual, amazing work Derek!

Will you be posting a build instructional for this?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

You scare me Derek. Very nice!

Lovely work, Derek. Look forward to seeing your journey into this style of chair making.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Thanks James. Thanks Robert.

Brian, knowing the hours you put in, that is the pot calling the kettle black!

Regards from Perth

Derek

Fair point, it is such a pleasure to work mild woods with these tools, you should at least make a prototype in something easy for the sheer enjoyment of doing so. I’ve chopped out a seat from white oak with an adze, it’s not bad but doing so in basswood... fun!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Very nice Derek!

Thanks all for the kind words.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    As usual, amazing work Derek!

Will you be posting a build instructional for this?

jtk
    Jim, I need to be careful here. Claire builds and sells these planes, and I would not wish to reproduce her methods or plans since they are her livelihood. I chose to modify the travisher in the video and update the design to match the latest one. To do so, I examined many photos on the 'web - almost all by Claire, since it seems that few, if any, have built this version. I have suggested to Claire that she makes a new video ... although the current video is very worthwhile. What I will do, is post a few pictures of the processes that I needed to do that take her video a step further. (I suspect that this will drive more to just buy the travisher from her rather than make it! It is not for the faint-hearted ... however I did not wish to be on a wait list for several months).

Regards from Perth

Derek