Thread: Finewoodworking floor lamp question

Finewoodworking floor lamp question

​In the Gallery section of the Jan/Feb issue of FW magazine there is a picture and brief description of a beautiful floor lamp! I wish I could display that here, but cannot, so this question is for those who have access to the magazine. The body of the lamp is described as being laid out in a "bricklaid pattern with overlapping joints and then shaped...". Does anyone know what that means and what it would look like? I'm also curious as to what type of circuitry and where it is obtained that allows a "inlaid brass spine" to function as a touch dimmer. This is a project that FW should do a full article on.

looks to me to be a bricklaid lamination. In the base it looks to be horizontal then it changes to vertical the copper I can't help you with
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle Rich View Post
    looks to me to be a bricklaid lamination. In the base it looks to be horizontal then it changes to vertical the copper I can't help you with
    If I understand what you are saying, the column is made of two large pieces each of which is composed of multiple smaller pieces. The smaller pieces overlap the corresponding "piece" on the other half and provision is made for the wires to run between. But why not just make matching grooves in two large pieces of wood, glue them together and then cut and shape them to final form? In the picture the grain pattern does not appear to look like multiple small pieces, but it is hard to tell. Other than saving on wood is there some advantage to smaller overlapping (bricklaid) pieces?

Here is the lamp in question. It is very difficult to tell from the picture but my guess is that the base is made up of at least two bricklaid pieces and then, as Michelle said, switches to vertical. I don't have any idea about the brass spine or how the vertical section is attached to the base.

bricklaid carved lamp.png

You are not getting many responses because few know what the lamp looks like. Now that Brian has shown an image, I could chime in.

From the picture of it, the base could be laminated in a number of ways and then shaped. Many years ago, Tom, the new Rough-cut host, did a video about his chair and I Google and found it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9t8CfievUg

From 3:45 or so, he starts talking about the arm. Check that segment to see if it helps.

Simon

Google with "touch dimmer" to find touch dimmers. They're readily available devices.

That's a floor lamp? I'd be concerned about the lamp getting knocked over. I'd put a counterweight in the base. Hollow out a recess, and fill it with a lead buckshot and epoxy mixture.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    That's a floor lamp? I'd be concerned about the lamp getting knocked over. I'd put a counterweight in the base. Hollow out a recess, and fill it with a lead buckshot and epoxy mixture.
    Yes that is a floor lamp. Dimensions given are 51x10x25. Weighting the base is probably a good idea. I'll check out the video Simon.

it is hard to see in the magazine and here too. But I think it is way more than 2 pieces. I think the thing is stacked starting with horizontal, then wood cut cross grain at various angles and stacked. Maybe taken from the same thick board so the grain runs consistently vertical This would allow that arc to be made and the grain going vertically for the pleasing look.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe