Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fluorescent ballast wiring

Fluorescent ballast wiring

I have a 2 bulb T8 fluorescent light in my basement that’s about 6 years old and recently stopped working. First step was two new bulbs which still didn’t work so I’m guessing the ballast failed. But I’m having a heck of a time figuring out which ballast to buy.

On different lights I have, I’m replacing my lay in T12’s with LED’s since I don’t have any T12 bulbs and it’s hard to spend almost $20 on bulbs when I can get a flat panel LED for $30. For these T8’s, I have bulbs and these are the chain mounted type with a plug that is nice to move around, so I’d like to keep them working.

Heres a picture of the ballast witing diagram for the T8’s in question.

Could this ballast be wired for both 2 and 4 bulb applications? It’s hard to find (haven’t yet) this type of ballast so should I get a standard ballast and rewire the tombstones?

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    The last time a ballast went bad in one of my fixtures it was converted to take 120V LED replacements. It was purchased at Home Depot. Do not try to use the ones made to run on a fluorescent lamp ballast on 120V. Some of the hired help might try to tell you it will work fine, at least they tried telling me it would.

It is likely cheaper and less work to purchase a new LED fixture at Costco or one of the Borgs.

If you insist on replacing the ballast it has to be one made to power the lamps you are using. A T-12 ballast isn't going to be a good choice to power a T-8 or T-5 lamp.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Sorry I can't help with your wiring. The problems you are having is why I buy LEDs now.

This is a T8 fixture in question and i’ll Obviously use T8 bulbs. I mentioned T12’s only because I am replacing them with LED’s and I understand the costs and benefits. New LED is about $30, hopefully a ballast would be $10 and I have bulbs.

Any help with the ballast in question?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bukovec View Post
    Sorry I can't help with your wiring. The problems you are having is why I buy LEDs now.
    That thought runs through my head when my LEDs come on in the shop and the fluorescents merely glow because of the low temps.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    It is likely cheaper and less work to purchase a new LED fixture at Costco or one of the Borgs.
    Costco actually has a two-pack of LED shop light fixtures available with an effective cost of $19.95 each this month. That's for the whole fixture including the LED lamps. They even can be daisy-chained. I bought two more to deal with the last two old lighting fixtures in my shop and they arrived today.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

matt,

much easier to buy led bulbs that do not need a ballast. cheaper too, because you don't have to buy ballast, and the bulbs w/o ballasts use a little less power. lot's of recent discussions here.

keith

Jim - thanks for the tip about Costco but I’m not a member.

Guys, I COMPLETELY understand the advantage of LED’s. As I said I’m converting my old T12’s to LED’s and love them. BUT I have these T8’s that aren’t that old and I have a bunch of new bulbs for them. If I can replace a ballast for $10 and use up my existing spare bulbs, I’d prefer to go that route.

Could someone who is knowledgeable about ballasts and my question please respond. I’m going to request this thread be deleted if one more person tells me to just buy LED’s! (Kidding)

<p>
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    I have a 2 bulb T8 fluorescent light in my basement that&rsquo;s about 6 years old and recently stopped working. First step was two new bulbs which still didn&rsquo;t work so I&rsquo;m guessing the ballast failed. But I&rsquo;m having a heck of a time figuring out which ballast to buy. On different lights I have, I&rsquo;m replacing my lay in T12&rsquo;s with LED&rsquo;s since I don&rsquo;t have any T12 bulbs and it&rsquo;s hard to spend almost $20 on bulbs when I can get a flat panel LED for $30. For these T8&rsquo;s, I have bulbs and these are the chain mounted type with a plug that is nice to move around, so I&rsquo;d like to keep them working. Heres a picture of the ballast witing diagram for the T8&rsquo;s in question. Could this ballast be wired for both 2 and 4 bulb applications? It&rsquo;s hard to find (haven&rsquo;t yet) this type of ballast so should I get a standard ballast and rewire the tombstones? Thanks
    </p>
    <p>
    &nbsp;</p>
    <p>
    that pic is showing a 2 lamp wiring only. There should be a listing on the ballast of what watt bulb, How many, and what T &nbsp;types it can run. Im not clear on what length bulb and how many you have in your original fixture. You should be able to match a new ballast to your fixture and bulbs , You can cut and wire the tombstones easy to a new ballast configuration for the amount and type bulbs you have now.</p>

Thanks Joe. The fixture has two T8 bulbs (40w I think), 4’ long.

So so you’re saying I could get most any of the standard F32T8 ballasts, and rewire the tombstones? The obvious issue I’m having is that the existing ballast has about double the wired coming out of it than the ones I find when I search for “F32T8 ballast”.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Correct.
    Read the ballast and match to the amount and watt bulbs you have. If your bulbs are in fact 40watt- T8 you&#39;ll need a ballast that list 2- F40T8. Then follow the wiring diagram on that ballast.
    Easy peasy, well , except doing the work overhead.

Would it be simpler and fairly inexpensive to just replace the fixture? I've seen some new T8 fixtures for pretty cheap. You could put a plug on any of them, probably even use the cord from the old fixture. All that would be needed is a grommet/strain relief for protection where the cord enters the fixture.

JKJ

I've replaced quite a few ballasts in my time. Post pics of the wiring schematic from BOTH the old ballast, and the new ballast, and I should be able to muddle through it. 4' T8 bulbs should only be 32W, that's why they're more efficient than T12 bulbs (40W in 4'). The issue here is whether or not you have shunted tombstones. I generally am converting T12 fixtures to T8, and they have shunted tombstones, so they're quite easy to rewire--aside from the power wires, there are only 3 to the bulbs.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Luckily this fixture is easily taken down since it’s on chains, so it’s on my bench now and rewiring will be simple.

I’ll plan to get this ballast for $12, rewire, and get some more life out of it.

https://www.amazon.com/Advance-ICN-2.../dp/B0053VHAPY
    (The existing bulbs are 32w)

Sound good?

Well never mind, the above ballast won’t work. There are 2 existing wires at each tombstone. And the new ballast only accounts for 1 at each tombstone. Ugh. Where can I find a replacement ballast that will work?