Thread: Shavings, finally

Shavings, finally

Someone mentioned recently that my shop looked unused and needed some shavings to look realistic. I know my small dry wood turnings are a joke compared to the shavings made by you big green bowl turners but this is a huge pile for me!

mess_IMG_20171209_153750_762.jpg

I've actually had time for more turning in the last couple of weeks than in months. Hope to get some photos soon.

JKJ

Can't wait to see what you "turned" John.
    BTW, I shoveled out four wheelbarrow loads of shavings today from one session lol.

I own six 30 gallon garbage cans for a reason...

John, I see you are using the Trent Bosch holder. For what? I have one but forget to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Taylor View Post
    John, I see you are using the Trent Bosch holder. For what? I have one but forget to use it.
    Hi Hal. My "carving stand" is the Best Wood Tools model with two locking levers, one for the tilt angle and one for 360-deg rotation. I looked up the Trent Bosch version and see it has a single locking lever which from his video appears to unlock both the tilt angle and the rotation - it looked like Trent needed to support the work with one hand to prevent it from tilting every time he wanted to rotate the piece. The Best Wood stand's rotation is independent while the tilt remains locked. I've heard other turners say they like this stand better for that reason.

(Sorry for the awful photos)
    carvinig_stand_A.jpg

I use this a lot! I have used it while carving but even more prepping for finishing. I usually sand after using hand scrapers to smooth the bottoms of bowls and platters and even more for things like this:

carving_stand_B.jpg

I hold these little "squarish" dished platters so the edges are towards me and use sanding sticks to shape and smooth. I use hand scrapers on the wings to remove inevitable tool marks where "turning air" and sand mostly by hand, sometimes with a little pneumatic random orbital sander. (Using the scrapers first usually lets me sand only with finer grits). I do almost no sanding while it's spinning on the lathe.

When finishing with oil, I'll put it back on the stand after a few coats have dried and wet sand with 600 grit on areas that need more attention. Tilting the piece towards me lets me work on it by hand at a comfortable height and with the good lighting at the lathe. This is far easier than how I used to do it - sitting with the thing on my knees, trying to keep it from moving! The stand holds it rock steady and lets me use two hands.

That last picture is especially bad! Here's a finished one done the same way (posted before):

penta_maple_ellis_IMG_5435.jpg

JKJ

Thanks John. I got mine when I took a class at Arrowmont with Trent. It was (is) very handy for carving, etc., Trent’s style vessels, but now I can see, from your descriptions, more uses for what I do. I also can see the utility of the two locking levers. With Trent’s version it’s a two handed operation to change positions.

The Procut version has separate handles that are on the same axis - one for tilt and one for adjusting the angle. I matched mine up with an old rebuilt vacuum pump and a chuck I seldom use for anythink else. makes it very easy to change angles or rotate in smaller increments.