Thread: Wide drawer Slide question

Wide drawer Slide question

I am building a dresser for my granddaughter. There will be three drawers 35 inches wide by 15 inches long (into cabinet), 6 inches high using 1/2 inch material for the box and bottom. It will also have a false front. I would like to use the (undermount) Quadro slide 15" full extension slide http://www.cshardware.com/h-9134368.html rather than the comparable Blum slide ONLY due to cost. I've read many, many threads here to reduce my list to those two. The Blum recommends the lateral stabilizer which adds another $70-120 depending on vendor. There were no lateral stabilizers found for the Quadros unless I missed them.

Does anyone have experience with the Quadro slides on wide drawers regarding the lateral stability?

link to Blum slide
    http://ahturf.com/store/index.php?ro...duct_id=118262

No affiliation with either vendor, just possible vendors.

Thank you in advance.

Unless your going to have two pulls on the drawer I woudlnt worry about it. We have commonly run 33" on cooktop base cabs (dynapros) no problem. If your going to have two pulls then you may have a racking issue.

Actually, i was planning to use two knobs. So, you would use one pull centered so that the pull force is evenly divided between the two slides? Had not thought about that.

My experience is that 2 pulls add even more stability - as long as you pull the drawer out using the 2 pulls.
    The lateral stabilizers from Blum are relatively new. Wide - 33" +, tall - 8" + and deep - 21" +, drawers that I have incorporated into kitchens on past projects were hung on Blum Tandems /no stabilizers without any issues of racking. If you are building drawers that will be heavily laden I would consider the stabilizers but for drawers filled with clothing, cereal boxes, empty pots and pans , and the like, I vote - DON'T WORRY.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Yes, I would opt for a single center pull. While it may work better if you put two, and the user signs a contract to never try to open the door single handedly, and also stipulates that when they DO use two hands they must pull with in Xoz./lbs of pull force distributed within 3% of each hand, then that would work. Unfortunately in my world I have no idea who is going to use the drawer, how, and no ability to advise or make them use both pulls. I do however have the ability to use a single center pull which gives them one option to open the drawer. of course at that point they can use it as a step stool, or put an anvil in there, or something else to foul the slide lol.

Thirty-six inch wide cabinets with a full-width drawer under a thirty-six inch cooktop is a very common configuration, though typically in a much deeper drawer ... either twenty-one or twenty-four inches deep. At those depths I've never seen any issue (with the Blum) for either single or double handles. Would think you'd be fine with your proposed configuration.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Okonieski View Post
    I would like to use the (undermount) Quadro slide 15" full extension slide http://www.cshardware.com/h-9134368.html
    I didnt click on your link but.. its only chasing pennies but you can likely run dynapro's or one of the other non-blum options for even a few cents cheaper than the slides in your link. I have no experience with the slides you posted but generally speaking you can find yourself on shakey ground with off brand budget slides. We dont use Blum because of the cost and restricted local distribution which I find nauseating. But Grass, Salice, and though we didnt like some samples we got, KV may be available in the same price range for 3D slides.

... and by single pull I'm guessing that Mark is suggesting a long style bar pull and not a simple 3" bin pull. In this case I completely concur - otherwise 2 - 3" to 4" pulls though, a single 12" to 18" pull is better.

MB - sorry if I presume too much.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Thanks to all for the comments and suggestions. I'm going to sleep on it before deciding.

i'll look into the dynapro ones also before deciding.

Thanks to all! Great discussion like this is why I'm asking here!

Mark, The dynapro 3d slides interest me. They indicate "up to 48 inch wide drawers with minimal lateral sway". Do you purchase them online? If so, which site?

Blog Entries
    The Accuride 3640 slide is rated at 200 pounds and for use on drawers up to 42" wide. They are full extension slides.

We get them thru local distribution (wurth) or hafele

Thanks to all for suggestions. I ordered dynapro from Woodworkers express. Ordered on Monday with delivery expected Wednesday, normal shipping. Prices seemed reasonable. No affiliation with them.

I will plan to report my results with using them.