Thread: Stuck Live Center

Stuck Live Center

I recently purchased a morse taper adapter to use in my tail stock when using my Oneway Coring System. I used it the other day for the first time and now my live center is stuck in the adapter. The adapter has a slot designed to assist in getting the live center out, the problem is, the shaft on the live center does not extend down into the opening. I've tried to use a screw driver and hammer to knock the live center out, but have had no success. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated. (It's the live center my wife usually uses )

Heat the adapter up carefully with a propane torch. You could also put a ice cold damp cloth on the live center. The heat will expand the adapter and the cold will contract the live center.

A couple of ideas for you to try. I had one stuck in my tail stock and used wedges between the back of the center (not the shaft) and the front of the tail stock taper.
    Another idea that I haven't tried myself would be to fill the back of the taper adapter with ball bearings until one is partially into the wedge opening. Then use the wedge.
    This one I did use once. Hold the adapter in a vise or other method. Set a wrench between the back of the live center, and the face of the adapter. hold the end of the wrench and hit the shaft with a hammer.
    Good luck.

For reasons unknown to me, some live centers are shorter than others, so some will pop out if you crank it the tailstock shaft all the way back in, and some won't. For those that don't, I use a wrench for my routers, which fits nicely between the center shaft and the tailstock quill end. I use about a 1 inch wide piece of wood to space between the quill and wrench, then crank it back in a little while applying a little leverage to the wrench. It usually pops out easily. No heating or pounding required. There is some thing called a pickle wrench used for separating bearings or some thing in the auto works, that can be used similarly, but it requires pounding.

robo hippy

Secure the extension in a vise and use a piece of wood and tap the live center out. For future reference, get a 1/4-20 bolt and tread it into the taper to the proper depth so that the bolt head shows into the slot of the extension. I use this method on my cup centers when using the extensions. If your live center isn't threaded, just drop a 3" long carriage bolt in the hole and the head of the bolt will protrude just enough in order for the removal tool to work.
    lc1.jpglc2.jpglc3.jpg
    Last edited by David Delo; 12-10-2017 at 3:52 PM.
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

Would you be able to get an automotive wheel or bearing 'puller' on it?

We had a similar problem on one of the club lathes last week. Using a wedge against the back of the live center ended up with the bearing section coming off the tapered shaft and shaft still locked in. Live center was finally removed by using pressure of adjusting screw and tapping on live center. Good practice to remove the live center often and also clean the tapers.

First try soaking it overnite with Liquid wrench penetrating oil. Has saved many a temper tantrum.

Thanks everyone for you input.

David, took your idea of a wedge and used a crescent wrench between the live center and the adapter. Then took a hammer and taped lightly on the handle until it popped out. I liked your idea about putting a bolt and nut in the end of the live center to keep it from happening again. Who says you can't teach an ol' dog new tricks

Locktite that bolt in place, or it will vibrate out and leave you stuck again.

Steve, a ball joint removal fork might have worked, I just thought of it.
    Len

Quote Originally Posted by Len Mullin View Post
    Steve, a ball joint removal fork might have worked, I just thought of it.
    Len
    It's called a pickle fork. I have one that my Grandpa made as a toolmaker at Packard Motors in Detroit. Spare that, and make a similar one out of dogwood, that way you won't damage anything except the wedge.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.