Thread: Turning Mulberry ???

Turning Mulberry ???

I was given a nice piece of the biggest Mulberry tree I'd ever seen this spring.
    Asking if anyone here has experience on how it takes to turning.
    Specifically, I'm thinking about making a couple of yarn bowls out of it, that is, after I hear from some folks here on how it will or won't go.

Quote Originally Posted by Marion Smith View Post
    I was given a nice piece of the biggest Mulberry tree I'd ever seen this spring.
    Asking if anyone here has experience on how it takes to turning.
    Specifically, I'm thinking about making a couple of yarn bowls out of it, that is, after I hear from some folks here on how it will or won't go.
    There are some threads about this - search for "mulberry". This is one: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...41775-Mulberry

JKJ

I like Mulberry. My experience is that green wood needs to be twice turned to allow it to dry and move. I recommend that a generous pith slab (at least 15% of diameter) be cut to help reduce core checking, and a thicker slab makes some nice quarter sawn material for little boxes or other end grain work. The yellow color will darken over time to a nice brown.

Marion, I have a lot of mulberry that I have recently turned. It turns very well when wet (still letting it dry.) I have turned mine to finish and then soak in DNA and then dry in a paper bag. Do get some movement but not too bad. Makes it nice and organic.

I like mulberry. It turns about like ash but obviously the color is a lot different. Warps a little during drying like most woods (not an excessive amount). Pyro work contrasts nicely with the yellow color and still looks good when the yellow changes to reddish brown.

As I have said here before, Mulberry is a very nice wood to turn, and I have turned quite a few pieces of it over the last 30 years or so.You have to watch the sapwood though, it does shrink more and will check/split if not given the time to dry and relax. The color will be going from a light yellow to a dark golden and gets even darker over time, that color is good looking anywhere along that change IMO.I got a few pictures here again that show some of it’s qualities .Just watch out for The Aliens in the Mulberry UFO, they have landed .UFO.jpg.Mulberry drying movement/change.Mulberry movement.jpg Mulberry drying change.jpg.Color changes over time.Mulberry plate.jpg after 15 years of use.jpg.Mulberry sapwood checking.Sapwood checking.jpg.
    Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 12-12-2017 at 1:57 PM.
    Have fun and take care

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Van Der Loo View Post
    As I have said here before, Mulberry is a very nice wood to turn, and I have turned quite a few pieces of it over the last 30 years or so.You have to watch the sapwood though, it does shrink more and will check/split if not given the time to dry and relax. The color will be going from a light yellow to a dark golden and gets even darker over time, that color is good looking anywhere along that change IMO.I got a few pictures here again that show some of it’s qualities .Just watch out for The Aliens in the Mulberry UFO, they have landed .UFO.jpg.Mulberry drying movement/change.Mulberry movement.jpg Mulberry drying change.jpg.Color changes over time.Mulberry plate.jpg after 15 years of use.jpg.Mulberry sapwood checking.Sapwood checking.jpg.
    I don’t know why this post does changes my placement of comments and pictures, they are not all placed in one line, but each comment line with the appropriate pictures below it
    Have fun and take care

I like Mulberry. not hard but a tight grain.