Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Performax engineers are knuckleheads.

I used to own a 16-32 and was frustrated with the paper clamping system at first. I got used to it and it was easier once I learned to cut the paper the proper length. That said, I own a Woodmaster and it has velcro backed paper which is very easy to apply.

PS - also an engineer...not all A's, but I graduated(3 times)!

It really has less to do with actually putting the paper on, which I can do relatively trouble free now with the bent needle nose pliers, and just the fact that the first time they put the paper on someone didn’t look around and say “hey wouldn’t it be easier if the spring clip side was on the open end?”

I have had a 16-32 sander for several years and use it frequently. However, the lack of access to the right hand paper clamp has been a continual source of frustration for me and most other owners of this tool.
    I was delighted to see that the newest model of the Jet 16-32 has addressed this problem by making a notched cutout in the right hand end of the drum as shown in the following photo (from their manual):

New-Jet-16-32-Drum.jpg

I am seriously considering modifying my existing 16-32 drum to this configuration.

Hehe... the first time I cut my paper, I cut the taper backward, so it was mirror of what I needed. I couldn't bring myself to throw it out and cut a new one, so I swapped the location of spring loaded clip to wrap the sand paper from the other direction. It worked fine. So if you really find you want the clip to be the other side it's fairly easy to swap it. You just have to be careful how your wrap your paper so that it doesn't get loose by the rotation of the drum.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stoops View Post
    I have had a 16-32 sander for several years and use it frequently. However, the lack of access to the right hand paper clamp has been a continual source of frustration for me and most other owners of this tool.
    I was delighted to see that the newest model of the Jet 16-32 has addressed this problem by making a notched cutout in the right hand end of the drum as shown in the following photo (from their manual):

New-Jet-16-32-Drum.jpg

I am seriously considering modifying my existing 16-32 drum to this configuration.
    How would you make the cut Paul? I would think taking he tdrum off would be intimidating at least to me. I am thinking that using a cutoff wheel on a die grinder would work but you would want to make sure you get all the metal chips cleaned out.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

New England, in a town on the way to nowhere
    Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Not all design decisions are made by engineers.

John, a retired engineer - who did get mostly A's.
    Sorry, I'm teasing and meant no offense

And there's the problem- someone decides it should 'look' better and the good engineering gets ignored. Too much function is following form these days

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wooden View Post
    Sorry, I'm teasing and meant no offense

And there's the problem- someone decides it should 'look' better and the good engineering gets ignored. Too much function is following form these days

No offense taken. I was only pointing out that many design decisions are not made by engineers. I'm also all too aware that not all engineers got A's. They usually ended up in Marketing and eventually got promoted to senior management where they questioned nearly everything from the engineers who did get A's.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    No offense taken. I was only pointing out that many design decisions are not made by engineers. I'm also all too aware that not all engineers got A's. They usually ended up in Marketing and eventually got promoted to senior management where they questioned nearly everything from the engineers who did get A's.

John
    Oh my, does this ever hit home! You are spot on, John.

I can't believe they addressed the obvious problem by making a little more access but still limited as opposed to just moving it. I just order some Mirka mesh paper for the first time after hearing how great it was and since I have to cut it and it's reversible I'm definitely going to try moving the clip over. Mreza, did you notice any complications with the 1/8 difference of the clip morning points? Also the slot on the rights side is actaully about a 1/4 deeper into the drum but I'm not to concerned about that. I'm going to get a 5.5mm wrench this weekend and try swapping them.

George -

I haven't really thought about it, but I will probably use my oscillating multi-tool with a metal cutting blade to minimize the amount of chips/debris. However, as an alternative I may use my Dremel. In either case, I would pack rags around the cut area to keep stuff from falling inside and use my shop vac while cutting.

Paul

Keith, mine is the super-max 37x2, not the same as yours (two columns) but I did change it as I said for a different reason.
    I'm not sure if yours is as easy. I've taken photos of both sides for you to compare. It was pretty easy to swap them for me.

20171212_210544.jpg20171212_210522.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    How would you make the cut Paul? I would think taking he tdrum off would be intimidating at least to me. I am thinking that using a cutoff wheel on a die grinder would work but you would want to make sure you get all the metal chips cleaned out.
    You'd also have to consider balance. If you removed metal you'd have to either remove an equal amount of metal from the opposite side or add a weight to the cut area I'd think.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stoops View Post
    George -

I haven't really thought about it, but I will probably use my oscillating multi-tool with a metal cutting blade to minimize the amount of chips/debris. However, as an alternative I may use my Dremel. In either case, I would pack rags around the cut area to keep stuff from falling inside and use my shop vac while cutting.

Paul
    Are you not concerned that removing that material would throw the drum out of balance?

(Curt and I must think alike. )

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    Are you not concerned that removing that material would throw the drum out of balance?

(Curt and I must think alike. )
    Didn't give this a thought, but I believe your are likely correct. It would not be as easy as removing an identical size piece from the other edge of the drum as the weight of the metal is not the same all the way through hence the need for weights to balance the drum. Guess this would not be a viable option.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Yeah, I think it would require a machine that spins the drum like a tire balancer, telling you how much weight to add, and where.