Thread: Sapele Bowl

Sapele Bowl

Hello again every one here's What I've been up to in December, This is a 10 1/4 " x 4" hand carved Rim & tri. foot Sapele Bowl w/ Danish Oil finish.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bruce Jones; 12-11-2017 at 8:37 AM.

My Handle is Splinterz25 on most forums.

Jack Of All Master Of None

That turned out great. What did you use to carve the openings and feet? I'm assuming you lathe turned the bowl first and then carved?

Very nice. Design is beautiful, execution is superb.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Jones View Post
    Hello again every one here's What I've been up to in December, This is a 10 1/4 " x 4" hand carved Rim & tri. foot Sapel Bowl w/ Danish Oil finish.
    Very nice and unique! I like the way you made the rim into an attached ring or hoop. (I may have to steal idea for a variation some day.)

Excellent finish too. I've been using danish oil a lot more lately and like the result. I use a heavy initial soak then a bunch of thin coats over a few weeks. I'd be interested to hear your approach.

BTW, do you mean "Sapele" wood? (I can't find Sapel in my usual references.) I've used Sapele for a number of platters and shallow pieces but I never got my hands on a piece that thick.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    That turned out great. What did you use to carve the openings and feet? I'm assuming you lathe turned the bowl first and then carved?
    Thank you Greg; Yes the only power tool was the lathe and a small drill so I could start sawing w/ the home made coping saws I use w/ tape for a handle here's a shot of the tool set I have, the tools in front were used on this piece.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank you very much George for your kind words; Thank you John I would be honored if you used this design; This is two coats of Danish oil so far, I sand while oil is wet w/ 800 grit wipe clean and repeat. After taking it all the way to 800 to begin with of course. Sorry about the mis spell. it was very late when I posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Jones View Post
    Thank you very much George for your kind words; Thank you John I would be honored if you used this design; This is two coats of Danish oil so far, I sand while oil is wet w/ 800 grit wipe clean and repeat. After taking it all the way to 800 to begin with of course. Sorry about the mis spell. it was very late when I posted.
    Thanks! I do something similar, sand to 800, oil, wait, wipe/dry, oil/wipe/dry again, then wet sand with 600 then 800 (depending on the wood and how it's taking the oil) then repeat. I might end up with 8-10 coats, I don't count.

The finish on yours would be something nice to see with the eyes (and hands).

JKJ

John I'll let it dry now a few days then sand w/800 again then add more oil and rub it in w/ a used piece of 800 then wipe clean add another light coat and let dry a few more days, maybe do this 2-3 more times.