Thread: Is my plane a #5 or #5 1/4?

Is my plane a #5 or #5 1/4?

I have a plane I'm hoping the forum can help me with. I thought it was a #5 1/4 because on the toe it has #5 1/4 but when I measured the sole it's 14 inches (the length of a regular #5). It's a type 4 or 5 plane (right hand thread, not pat #'s). Were #5s stamped different then? I'm including some pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Howdy Chad and welcome to the Creek.

My guess is this may not be a Stanley plane. Can you post more images with the blade removed showing the frog and the lateral adjuster? A type 4 Stanley/Bailey plane doesn't have a lateral adjuster.

Stanley didn't put a zero in their plane identification numbers.

How wide is the blade?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks for the response. The blade is 2" wide and has stanley stamped on it. I'm including the other pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think I've found it. The stanley blade threw me off but your comment that it might not be a stanley got me looking at other companies. Ohio Tools used a 0 in their numbering and I was able to find a picture here that shows a No 05 1/4 plane from Ohio Tools and it matches. A previous owner must of put a stanley blade in it to confuse any future owners...lol

A Stanley #5 or its equivalent MFs or Sargent or Ohio Tools, etc., can vary in length but not in blade width: 2 inches. I have a few 5 1/4 planes, which are shorter than my 5s but all the blades are 1 3/4 inches. Now, the 5 1/2 planes can be a tad longer, but they have two production widths: earlier production (I forget up to what year) had blades 2 1/4 inches wide; later production, 2 3/8s (AFAIK).

Blog Entries
    The bottom end of the lateral adjuster does look like a Stanley/Bailey type 5 but from what can be seen of the top end it looks more like the Ohio Tools model.

A Stanley/Bailey plane from the type 5 years would have patent dates on the inside of the depth adjuster and one on the lateral lever.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Hi Chad,

I am also in the Ohio plane camp. The depth adjuster wheel has a thicker rib cross section extending back that you finger uses to adjust the depth than the Stanley planes have. The above is a poor description of what I am trying to describe, but what I am talking about is that if you look at the adjuster wheel from the back, sighting from the heel of the plane toward the toe, the face of the wheel rim that is facing you is what I am saying is thicker than the Stanley ones. It matches the one on my Ohio 04 that was my grandfathers. Also, the bottom end of the lateral adjuster also matches my grandfathers Ohio plane, as does the rivit that the adjuster pivots on.

I did not take my Ohio apart, but the cross section of the bed where the frog sets also is the same as you plane. You can see the cross section without taking the plane apart. The upper end of the yoke where it goes through the chip breaker is as wide as a Stanley, but it is narrow where it pushes back and forth on the chip breaker on your plane, as is the one on my Ohio, narrower than a Stanley.

I also agree with Jim in that what you can see of the back of the lateral adjuster appears to be twisted like an Ohio. Of course the "0" in front of the 5 1/4 is consistent with the way Ohio marked their planes.

Now for the difference. My Ohio has "Ohio" cast into the body between the tote and the back of the frog. (Different type than mine?)

In short, there are several things that make me think "Ohio" so I am in the same camp as Jim, but there are brands of planes that I am not familiar with so I have to back down to the point that I can only say "it seems to be consistent with one of my Ohio planes." (I have another one or two Ohios that I bought and used for parts for my own, but they are hard enough to get to that I didn't want to dig through the stuff to get them out.)

Regards,

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 12-11-2017 at 9:12 PM.

Blog Entries
    Frankenplane? There are quite a few planes, bought at auction sites or flea markets, which may have parts from 2 or more models of planes. Stanley plane blades being the easiest to obtain may have been used in whatever they fit in. Don't ask me how I discovered this.
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 12-12-2017 at 8:25 AM.

Don
    TimeTestedTools