Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

11 Dec 2017

Good Morning Everyone,
    I've been working on a chair repair for some time now. Not much "focused" attention to working on it but off and on. I wished I was better at chair rebuilding and repair but all thost compound angles to match old school woodworking that made them has proven to be an extreme challenge to my skillset! My hope and prayer is that I finish this chair this week. I finally rebuilt my home PC and installed Windows 10 Pro. So far, I like it.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Ah, the weekend....the usual frolic. Food shopping at Wegman's in the (light) snow with Professor Dr. SWMBO and our older daughter Saturday morning; in the shop in the afternoon working on my MFSC project and cooking a delicious spatchcocked roast chicken for Saturday night dinner.

IMG_1705.jpg

Sunday, I was back in the shop all day working on my MFSC project...making the smaller, but very important parts and hoping that the very large commission piece that's taking up my workbench and blocking my ability to cut up some sheet goods is able to be delivered soon.

The "real" thermostat I installed in the shop about a week ago to replace the internal unit that died has been working really well, which makes spending time in the shop very enjoyable.

Oh, and on Saturday, the nice man from FedEX dropped off my retirement-present-to-me-from-me send out by Uncle Bob...a Festool Domino 700 XL with all the trimmings. I'm looking forward to using it on a number of upcoming projects.

IMG_1685.jpg
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    After a week of fires and Santa Anas, we had a productive weekend. I made a great meal for date night with LOML, lamb chops, vegetable stew with crema, and rice pilaf. Delicious! The balance of the weekend was spent in various home duties. Coping maintenance on the upper deck (I hate working with stainless steel), hose bib repair, various housekeeping / cleaning duties, designing a pair of japanese stools that I will make, dog walking, and assembling my remodeled office. There is still a lot of work left unfortunately.

The central point of the weekend was to avoid the smoke and fire going on all around us. While we personally are safe from the flames of the Thomas Fire, we suffer from the smoke. The polution index on Thursday in Santa Barbara was 386 according to Weather Underground. Very unhealthy. Talk about your fine particulates. We also waited notification from friends called to evacuate. We open our home to those affected by the fire. Eight straight days of Santa Anas are enough.
    Last edited by Shawn Pixley; 12-11-2017 at 6:16 PM.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Ahh, let's see, what DID I do this weekend? Oh yeah.

I made up some trim pieces for a couple of openings in the house that were not completed. Also stained and varnished them. I also milled up some ash for a cabinet to sit to the right of my table saw. Also got the sides cut and fit together, ready for the inner panels.
    Sunday, I started running some ethernet cable for the new TV and a second computer in a bedroom. The wireless is just not cutting it. The TV keeps dropping the connection, and the second computer is a bit slow while browsing.

Starting to build some momentum in the shop as the holiday approaches. I finished the beer caddy mentioned in last week's post (a final pic below) and then made my wife a wood shop widow over the weekend while I built a mobile cart for my Bosch RA1171 bench top router table. I need to have the router set at a decent working height for an upcoming bed project that will involve a lot of lock miter joints. I picked up a lock miter bit from Infinity and will be building up the 2-1/2" x 3-1/2" posts for the headboard and footboard using a Stickley style hollow construction method, joined with...you guessed it, lock miters.

beer caddy: BeerCaddy.jpg

router table cart: RouterCart.jpg
    Last edited by Mike Ontko; 12-12-2017 at 4:09 PM.

The wife and I realized that we were giving gift cards to a couple of friends and decided that instead of sticking them into a gift card, we'd do something else. She said she could crochet card holders, but since she has a lot on her plate right now, I decided I'd make a couple of wooden ones. So I rough milled all the parts for 5 card holders and will finish them up either this week or this weekend, just before my oldest daughter gets home from college for the holidays.

That's a really kewel idea, Brian. I hope you'll present that project in our Woodworking Projects forum where finished projects and builds go!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...