Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mach 3 on a Laptop?

Mach 3 on a Laptop?

Yes I know its said to be impossible, but most of the reasons I see highlighted are the power saving features and etc. I am smart enough about computers to go disable all the cr@p and go on from there. I use Lenovo computers on everything, not the Chinese ones however. I have an old T43 laptop with XP and a parallel port that Mach 3 the latest and greatest installed on and in the simulation mode seems to be working.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

My preference on any windows based machine being used as a control computer is for the real time step generation to be offloaded to a hardware device (smoothstepper, uc100, etc.)

That being said, there are lots of people who have and still use Mach3 on fairly modest PCs, and if you can minimize all the background services that seem to breed on windows machines, I see no reason it won’t work. Make sure there is no wireless connected and turn off windows updates.
    Colorado Woodworkers Guild
    Colorado CNC User Group

I run my CNC off an older, modest windows based laptop that is designated to the machine. I use Mach 3 for the machine but all programming is done on a separate computer and programs transferred to the laptop to run.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John Llewellyn View Post
    I run my CNC off an older, modest windows based laptop that is designated to the machine. I use Mach 3 for the machine but all programming is done on a separate computer and programs transferred to the laptop to run.

John
    That is what I am planning also John. My old T43 laptop has Mach 3 installed and it passed the LPT test just fine. But I did go in and disabled a bunch of Windows stuff, including auto up dating, power management as its a XP Pro computer it will never be on the WWW anyway. I do my design in VCarve 5.5 for the router on any of my other 3 computers.

I have been using an i3 based laptop running Mach3 for 1 1/2 years. It has been a challenge, but I have never related that to using a laptop. I did add some memory and I have cleaned, deleted, etc. etc. everything I could read to do. I am using a Smoothstepper with a CNCRP machine. I've thought about updating and getting a box next time, but that's just because I'm partial to boxes vs. laptops for utility use.

My main issue is that, once in a while, I get the dreaded "ran out of data" error. Still not sure why? I've done everything suggested and more!

Tony

Well I will find out today or tomorrow at the latest. I have built a roll around cart for the machine I purchased from Automation Technologies as I am about the assemble the machine today. I was very impressed when I was unpacking yesterday. I even took the cover off the power supply/control box to check the wiring and it was very neatly done. It also powered up fine.

The question for the day however, if the parallel port is not ideal for that old laptop would it run better or faster on the UC100 USB interface? I do have another laptop to use but right now its connected to my both my fiber and co2 laser.

Yes I can say it works fine, but no long term test yet and the biggest issue was getting a working Mach3 file for my machine and then I had to change LPT port address in Mach3 to match my computer. I did remove a bunch of start up and power saving programs that Microsoft thought I needed. So its pretty much a machine only computer with no internet connection at all. But it works!

I have $1900 in this 6040 machine including a Mach3 license for $149. Includes the 3 phase 1.5 kW water cooled spindle with adjustable VFD control from 0 to 24,000 rpm and ball screws on all the axis. Built very solid, even the Y axis 16 mm rails are supported so no flex! Yes its 120 volts not 230.
    Last edited by Bill George; 12-17-2017 at 7:30 AM.

Long hour test with a VCarve file with lots of movements and Z action. Worked great on the laptop on the parallel cable in spite of only generating 20,000 on the pulse frequency generator in Mach3. Just to cover my bases I have ordered a UC400 Ethernet controller.
    I was also able to update my VCarve Pro to 9.02. All ready to go, and it reads files from version 5.5!

I have been running MACH3 for several years on a couple different Txx series laptops without any problems. I also have it running on an older Toshiba business class laptop. In my experience it certainly can be done. I have had best results using business/ engineering class laptops.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Parent View Post
    I have been running MACH3 for several years on a couple different Txx series laptops without any problems. I also have it running on an older Toshiba business class laptop. In my experience it certainly can be done. I have had best results using business/ engineering class laptops.
    Robert
    I buy my Lenovo laptops when they either come off lease or from students who used in design or engineering college classes.
    I did get the UT400 ETH controller yesterday and have yet to try out. Zero doc's or paper came with it, no required circuit board connector to parallel port, no way to connect power via screw terminal, just some oddball plug connector.... not included. Not happy.

Where did you get the UC400 Ethernet controller from. Did it come with the cables. I see John from Automation has PDF's of the manuals.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    Where did you get the UC400 Ethernet controller from. Did it come with the cables. I see John from Automation has PDF's of the manuals.
    Got it from Amazon, I can not get John to answer emails. His is a better deal, next time I would order from him.
    You do need a gender changer, maybe. The UC400 ETH works fine, I got some pins from my junk pile and made some cables up. The vender is sending me the screw terminal connection.

Return it to Amazon

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    Return it to Amazon
    Its already installed and running why would I do that? A 7/8 inch (1/2 inch conduit) knock out punch, drill a couple holes in the case and tap the UC400 mounting holes 8-32 and its done.

CNC.JPG

If you order the UC400ETH direct from CNCDrive you have cable length and gender of the DB25 options. If you order from CNC4PC (their dealer) a fixed length cable (no gender option) is provided. Both have DL manuals and support.

The UC400ETH and the UC300ETH are 2 of the best controllers you can buy for Mach or its clone, UCCNC, maybe others. The UC300ETH along with the UB1 breakout board, UCCNC software (and Ger's 2017 Screenset) is my goto combo for new control on connection plagued USB connected controls. Modern Windows computers security software doesn't like a virtual comm port via USB and tries to shut it down anytime it can. The Ethernet comm can be put into a forced connection via a set IP address and works close to flawlessly.
    Gary Campbell
    CNC Replacement & Upgrade Controllers
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC