Thread: Help Identify a Japanese Chisel - Stan Covington Maybe?

Help Identify a Japanese Chisel - Stan Covington Maybe?

Some time ago, maybe about 15 years ago, I was on a business trip to Tokyo and purchased a set of chisels (pictured below) at a little tool shop near the US embassy there. The various chisel discussions on this and other blogs has me pondering who the manufacturer might be. This particular set is more of a souvenir that I'm unlikely to use any time soon. Nevertheless it would be interesting to know who made it.

A poster on another blog suggested that I come here and seek Stan's help. Thanks in advance.

chisel close up.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Pearson View Post
    Some time ago, maybe about 15 years ago, I was on a business trip to Tokyo and purchased a set of chisels (pictured below) at a little tool shop near the US embassy there. The various chisel discussions on this and other blogs has me pondering who the manufacturer might be. This particular set is more of a souvenir that I'm unlikely to use any time soon. Nevertheless it would be interesting to know who made it.

A poster on another blog suggested that I come here and seek Stan's help. Thanks in advance.

chisel close up.jpg
    On the road right now, writing from rainy Singapore.

The characters read "Sei Ken" meaning "holy sword." The stamp used to make the characters was tilted when struck, it appears, so some important areas are difficult to discern.

No, I don't know who made it. I could perhaps tell you the area of manufacture if I could see more of the chisel. Looks like rough work from the closeup.

Hope this helps.

Stan