Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sliding table saw?

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Darcy, all one need do with a slider is lock it, and then you can use table saw the same way as a cabinet saw - rip long boards against the rip fence.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Right, but leaning over the beam, taking the table and fence off and then putting it back on is a time suck.

Plus I feel horribly uncomfortable ripping lumber like that.
    My scmi si16w is gathering dust under my pallet racking.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    My one gripe is traditional ripping. It has been downright awful, in my experience. You have to stand way to the left of the blade by the sliding table and feed your workpiece right to left. With the guard in place, a traditional pushstick is impossible to use, which results in using a piece of scrap like you are loading a muzzle loader. .
    I switched from a cabinet saw to a slider, and somewhat agree with Patrick.

Think about this: a traditional cabinet saw really excels at ripping, but is poorly-optimized for crosscutting (unless you have an aftermarket miter gauge with rulers and stops, etc). A slider typically comes with a very nice crosscut fence system, making it ideal for crosscutting, although ripping is less convenient. The overall functionality seems much higher, on the slider - although you may have to change how you rip, you can console yourself with the much better crosscutting functionality

That said, I use a Fritz and Franz jig to rip most things using the slider. If I need to rip using the fence, I have a short-height, short-length fence.

I'm with Darcy. I have lots of sliders and my old SI 16 is a great panel goods saw and fine for hardwood but if I need to rip stock longer than 8', I'll take either a traditional saw with an outfeed table and if enough volume. a feeder. I don't do anywhere near enough for a SLR. If sheet goods were used rarely, a short stroke like Rod's with the slider sub base mounted flush with the front of the saw would be my choice. My solution is always to have more than one. Kind of a disease. Dave

I’ve got a Felder 700S pro with a 9’ slider. It replaced a powermatic 66 about 2001. No problem ripping and I also have a shoe that mounts on the slider to be able to rip what we now call “live edge” which does a job a fence can’t (without a jig anyway). What I miss but understand is no longer an issue is an arbor that can mount a dado blade. Anyway, although I’ve got the huge crosscut table for sheet goods, I seldom use it as I favor the ease of my Festool track setup. It takes serious space. I’m set up in a garage so have to open the door to be able to use the slider for infeed. I also have 3 phase motors so had to get a phase converter. Would I do it again? Probably not but the die is cast as they say.

I went through the usual progression from a contractors type saw, to a Delta Unisaw to a Laguna short stroke slider (6 foot slider) and love the safety aspects of it. No longer do my fingers come close to the blade when making a cut. Sliders excel at cross cutting, but I have ripped using both the rip fence and on the wagon with hold down accessories, which in my opinion is the finest way to rip a board to width.
    Having said that, I also have a conventional table saw that is used mainly for ripping and molding type cuts. While I can run a dado on the slider, I only use this blade on the 2nd saw. Nice to have both if you have the room.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    My issue is that I rarely use stock that is 8 feet or 10 feet short, meaning everything I rip is 12 to 20 feet. A slider is worthless for that. As gas as table saws go, nothing is faster ripping lumber than a big heavy saw with a stock feeder. I rarely use a TS anymore with two SLR's running.
    Clearly, the work you do isn't suited to certain types of machinery but is handled well with others. That is ultimately the important decision point. For many of us, like the OP, it's more about traditional cabinet saw vs slider. Both have advantages and both have disadvantages. I've come to really love the slider for the consistency and general safety it brings to me. But in the end...it just cuts wood.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

All good information; thanks for the input. Sam got back to me and suggested a Minimax SC4E. I think that might actually be too much saw for the room I have; I was thinking more about an SC3. Anyway, I don't want to rush into things as it would be a huge change for the way I work and might mean getting rid of my RAS, one shaper and my 12/14 table saw. I'm pretty set in my ways and am used to breaking stock down on the RAS and and 12" TS, but the ability to work with live edge stock and large sheet goods are also attractive. I'm going to try to find some local shops with sliders and talk to them about their experiences before I make any decisions, and in any case I'm in the middle of building a house (shop is already finished!) and making all the interior doors (18 in all) and running all of the trim and molding. Everything is stain grade alder and it's been a time consuming project, although I am on #15 of 18 doors. I want to get the house finished before I even consider reorganizing the shop. It may end up being postponed until the next AWFS show.

Dave, I break down lumber on my CMS just like you do with your RAS. As Sam for local references. Do the same of Felder. That's generally the best way to get to see these machines; either the one you're looking to buy or at least something similar. Many of us who are owners "regularly" accept visits from prospective buyers...it seems to be the way the Euro machine market works in the US.
    --

I am moving to a slider / shaper combo whenever I have the funds to do so. I have seen enough to know the benefits are tremendous. I am looking at the Minimax ST4 or even ST5 vs Felder KF 700s. The Felder seems to have some nice bells and whistles, but I am blown away with the Minimax bandsaw I purchased so I may stick with them.

Dave, I love to get a saw/shaper combo. What prices ranges in US you can get a SC4e for, if I may ask?
    You have 18 passage doors to make, eh? I went through 31 of them for our house (along with a whole bunch of other things). I wish I had a slider then but was working out of a basement shop and didn't have the room. Now at a garage (that I have already outgrown) I might swap my cabinet saw and shaper for a combo if/when surplus funds are available.

Blog Entries
    The solution to ripping is parallel fences. Brian Lamb’s are excellent (Lamb Toolworks).

Mike

Speaking just to sliders in general, every time I see an article on making a table saw sled I am happy I bought a slider years ago. It's nothing fancy but it works well. Even when I'm not using it with the fence, I use it to help glide sheet goods through the cut. I've had it for about 25 years.

(not my saw but the same slider)
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

After over 30 years on cabinet saws (serious hobbyist) I moved to a Felder FK700SP in 2010. I currently only have space for one saw and I would never go back to just a cabinet saw. In the new shop I will have a lot more space and I'll add a cabinet saw with a feeder for ripping. For me the ability to cut perfectly square anything up to 9 ft. Even if you don't use sheet goods, anything I want to be square is, and the cut quality for rips 9ft and under when clamped to the slider rival those coming off the jointer. For large heavy planks the rip off the slider is likely straighter than off my jointer. With the parallel guides I can rip parts that are within a few thousands of each other. I've used this several times to make forms with MDF and the repeatability is amazing.

Joe, I haven't actually used my jointer for board edges in a very long time...as you note, the quality of the edge when the board is ripped clamped to the wagon is outstanding (glue ready, IMHO) and I avoid the extra step of edge-jointing. I only flatten and thickness at the J/P now.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Mike King View Post
    The solution to ripping is parallel fences. Brian Lamb’s are excellent (Lamb Toolworks).

Mike
    This is a slightly old thread but beats starting a new one, right?

I’ve read this a few time and watched some videos but still don’t see how the parallel fences (including the very nice ones I recently looked at on Lamb site) help make the rip longer than the slider. They’re still attached to the sliding table, correct?

Do you actually push the wood so that it slides on the table at the end of the table excursion, like the sled jigs some use?

Its certainly possible or even likely I’m missing something here.