Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Members and Contributors

Sure Bert!

We were headed to the SMC beach in Tahiti for a week to get away from the snow and cold.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Contributing to this great resource is something I hope everyone who participates will do, but there are certainly some situations where even the minimal contribution isn't possible. That's reality. One of the reasons that SMC has been a user-supported community is because it's insanely expensive to support the bandwidth and compute requirements for something that experiences the level of volume that is the daily reality here. The more user support, the less that the site has to depend upon advertisements and other sponsors to "keep the lights on". Unfortunately, change happens and advertisement revenue has become more difficult for pretty much every Internet site because of increased use of blocking methods, etc. The bottom line is that just because access is "free" doesn't mean that there isn't cost involved. The better the community supports the resource, the less likely that other methods of funding the costs will have to be explored. I hope that everyone who feels they get something positive from this site, both as a knowledge consumer and a knowledge provider will consider even the smallest of contributions to help things to continue well into the future.

Given we're entering what is pretty much the holiday season globally, perhaps SMC can be on many more folks' gift lists this year.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 12-12-2017 at 10:21 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I think the versus part of the title may be wrong. I am a member and also a contributor. I am also a complete newcomer to woodworking, and know that no matter how much I may contribute, I am getting the better of the deal. My other hobby is metal detecting, and my favorite forum in that endeavor, also has these same issues. I don’t think that there is a versus between members and contributors, just looking for ways to get one to maybe turn into the other. Some members can’t contribute, for a variety of reasons, discussion ends there, if you can’t, you can’t. My preference would be to not see anyone, any less, on the forum. I’m of an opinion that the large number of members here is the strength of the forum. Some members won’t contribute just because. That’s their right also as the rules here are. Some, which I think this thread was started for, just can use a friendly nudge/reminder. I have no idea when I last contributed, so I used this thread as a reminder to do so. I am very glad that so many of the members here, give of their knowledge, so freely. Just .02$ from a newbie here, Thanks to all.

There is another category that should be added to the thread title...Lurkers. As I type this, there are 1515 users online, but only 112 are registered members. The demographics available don't differentiate between the membership categories for the 112 registered users. I was one of those lurkers for a while until I wanted to contribute to a conversation, then I joined. After a short time, I decided $6 was a bargain for the knowledge I've gained here, so I became a Contributor.

How much advertising revenue is generated from the 1403 guests who don't use ad blocking software? I would be interested to see if there are any changes to the revenue if the SMC blocks anyone using ad blocking software. I added SMC to my ad blocker's whitelist, and it came in handy for one of the Wixey ads.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Donley View Post
    Well you really have not thought this out. I have been a contributor for more years then you have been a member. I was donating back when a bunch of guys just started asking for donations on our own, before PayPal, had to send a check. So you need to get off your high horse rather than trying to belittle folks
    In my case my health took a sudden downturn about a year and a half ago. I am now having to pay for about all work that needs done around my house, even mowing the lawn. My medicare does not cover all my expenses and my part D does not cover all my cost. I am still just trying to figure out how much I need to live on.
    There is nothing wrong with asking or reminding people about the added benefits of becoming a contributor It's just I take offense at your attempt at shaming me because I have not donated for the past year and a half.
    Scott,
    I had no intention of "shaming you" or to "belittle" anyone. I understand that you have more significant issues to deal with other than contributing to SMC. It is unfortunate that you interpreted my post as a personal attack on you.

A great many of us late comers to the Creek owe Keith, the formers members of Badger Pond and individuals such as yourself much gratitude for developing/shepherding this wonderful site. I truly hope your medical issues abate soon.

Regards, with respect - Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Fleming View Post
    I think the versus part of the title may be wrong.
    J'accord Arthur. I edited the conflict ridden title from "vs." to "and". Much 'more better'.

BTW-SMC sends me an email notice each year to remind me it is time to re-up as a contributor.
    Last edited by Bill McNiel; 12-12-2017 at 7:56 PM.

Well no snow or cold here but a few days on the beach sounds good to me, pick me up at Dear Valley Airport, Phoenix AZ ok
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Sure Bert!

We were headed to the SMC beach in Tahiti for a week to get away from the snow and cold.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I can't not keep quite. Those that say they just can't afford to be a contributor. hogwash. I'm sorry but really? you have an internet connection and I bet you have a cell phone and TV , a car . your contribution cost 12 cents a week or 50 cents a month.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I anted up a few years ago as a Friend of the Creek as they were running a contest that only Friends of the creek could enter. Didn't win but decided that it was still worth the price for all the tips, suggestions, and advice that is here. If Keith had to close it down, we would all miss out on a lot. So for (a lot) less than it takes to take my granddaughter to the movie just once, it's a cheap buy in for a lot of great things.

Thanks Keith O, for keeping it together for us...
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McNiel View Post
    Scott,
    I had no intention of "shaming you" or to "belittle" anyone. I understand that you have more significant issues to deal with other than contributing to SMC. It is unfortunate that you interpreted my post as a personal attack on you.
    Yet you said...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McNiel View Post
    I don't understand why everyone who participates on this site, asks questions, posts or responds is not a Contributor. There are individuals here who have been Members for many years and have posted hundreds, some thousands, of times and still have not chosen to financially support this fantastic site. What are you waiting for? The minimum buy in is only $6.00, an unbelievable bargain for sure, many of us choose to contribute significantly more. Pony up folks!
    Sounds like you were belittling Scott and everyone else without the contributor tag to me?

If I gave the amount everyone thinks I should to every organization they think I should every month/year it would add up to a LOT of money. One easy way I've found to make the decisions about who should get it is how it gets asked. When it become a thinly veiled demand, its dropped. When it gets asked incessantly, its dropped. Further, SMC isn't a charity, its a for profit (Keith might argue that particular word) business. Currently the business owner has decided that its open to all with a few extra benefits for those who pay a yearly fee. Its absolutely no different than the local mall opening up for the mall walkers and offering free activities for kids, but hoping people will spend some money. I guarantee you if they start letting customers who have spent $x at the mall publicly shame those who haven't, its going to get ugly.

Frankly this thread does more harm than good and should go poof. We all have our reasons, you don't know the history, and this only serves to divide the community.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Ya know, I just don't understand it either.
    For 6 little dollars a year, people can get access to the SMC Lear Jet, the SMC Loge seating @ the Super Bowl & World Series & NBA Playoffs, 50 yard line seats @ The Rose Bowl, and the SMC private beach & beach house in Tahiti....

Which reminds me....Keith, if you poke your head in here - - I need the Lear jet in Feb for my birthday...
    Rich, may I remind you about the 1st and 2nd rules of the Contributors club?? -> never talk about the Contributors club!!

With the secret out, now we're going to have to buy another jet..
    Last edited by Brian Tymchak; 12-13-2017 at 9:28 AM. Reason: typos
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

There is no danger of us shutting down SawMill Creek. We may have to eliminate visitor access though which would free up the majority of our resources. I am not a fan of this approach but since the majority of the people here (Members and Visitors) who use free access are using blocking software there is no gain for our advertisers and they pay for the free access. Let me explain how bad the situation is...advertiser banners have dropped from over one million views per month to just 40 thousand each month per advertiser. Access here continues to grow but banner views have dropped to the basement.

Obviously we cannot sustain these kinds of numbers any longer. I promised to keep SawMill Creek online for everyone to enjoy as long as I have your support. Free access has been supported by advertising up till now but that is changing based on the majority here using blocking software preferring not to see any advertising which was not what people told me in 2005.

There is another option. I receive offers from companies who offer to monetize our advertising who offer very attractive rates. The down side is that I doubt anyone would like this change, you can imagine what a professional advertising company would do here if they had control. I delete these offers immediately, just don't like the idea and I don't do this for the money as my income from The Creek is minimal. You donate 6 bucks per year via PayPal, they get their percentage, then state and federal taxes take a bite so there is very little left to pay the bills and save for hardware, software, bandwidth and pay our monthly maintenance costs.

If you review the threads from 2005 when we discussed how we would pay the bills here an overwhelming majority wanted free access via advertising....and I was against the idea because I preferred that we remain self funded. The majority won the argument so here we are today facing another change that I have not caused.

You see the red text below....that is something our Moderators and I are investing a huge amount of time to create. We hope that this will be a very popular attraction, you will enjoy the presentation and it will help us maintain a reasonable number of advertisers. I am working for you, believe me after 15 years I am still willing to go the distance to keep The Creek alive and well but I cannot do it alone.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 12-13-2017 at 9:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    Rich, may I remind you about the 1st and 2nd rules of the Contributors club?? -> never talk about the Contributors club!!

With the secret out, now we're going to have to buy another jet..
    Since they put billboards up along Rt 2 near Sandusky now, I think the secret is out.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.com

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    Since they put billboards up along Rt 2 near Sandusky now, I think the secret is out.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.com
    Rumor has it that contributors enjoy special discounts when they shop for their woodworking tools there (some restrictions apply):
    The Shops at Sawmill Creek

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    There is no danger of us shutting down SawMill Creek. We may have to eliminate visitor access though which would free up the majority of our resources. I am not a fan of this approach but since the majority of the people here (Members and Visitors) who use free access are using blocking software there is no gain for our advertisers and they pay for the free access. Let me explain how bad the situation is...advertiser banners have dropped from over one million views per month to just 40 thousand each month per advertiser. Access here continues to grow but banner views have dropped to the basement.

Obviously we cannot sustain these kinds of numbers any longer. I promised to keep SawMill Creek online for everyone to enjoy as long as I have your support. Free access has been supported by advertising up till now but that is changing based on the majority here using blocking software preferring not to see any advertising which was not what people told me in 2005.

There is another option. I receive offers from companies who offer to monetize our advertising who offer very attractive rates. The down side is that I doubt anyone would like this change, you can imagine what a professional advertising company would do here if they had control. I delete these offers immediately, just don't like the idea and I don't do this for the money as my income from The Creek is minimal. You donate 6 bucks per year via PayPal, they get their percentage, then state and federal taxes take a bite so there is very little left to pay the bills and save for hardware, software, bandwidth and pay our monthly maintenance costs.

If you review the threads from 2005 when we discussed how we would pay the bills here an overwhelming majority wanted free access via advertising....and I was against the idea because I preferred that we remain self funded. The majority won the argument so here we are today facing another change that I have not caused.

You see the red text below....that is something our Moderators and I are investing a huge amount of time to create. We hope that this will be a very popular attraction, you will enjoy the presentation and it will help us maintain a reasonable number of advertisers. I am working for you, believe me after 15 years I am still willing to go the distance to keep The Creek alive and well but I cannot do it alone.
    Is blocking software effective at blocking ads for you tube? I suspect the answer is no. Assuming I'm correct, why won't the you tube approach work for SMC?