Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Members and Contributors

Members and Contributors

OK, this is a rant-

SMC continually provides great, knowledgeable information, discussions and some humor. I don't understand why everyone who participates on this site, asks questions, posts or responds is not a Contributor. There are individuals here who have been Members for many years and have posted hundreds, some thousands, of times and still have not chosen to financially support this fantastic site. What are you waiting for? The minimum buy in is only $6.00, an unbelievable bargain for sure, many of us choose to contribute significantly more. Pony up folks!

Neither Keith nor anyone connected with SMC knows I am posting this and may choose to delete this. It is my personal opinion only.
    Last edited by Bill McNiel; 12-12-2017 at 6:59 PM.

Blog Entries
    I can pose for a woodworking themed nude contributors' only calendar shoot if it helps. We just need 11 more.
    Last edited by andrew whicker; 12-11-2017 at 11:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McNiel View Post
    OK, this is a rant-

SMC continually provides great, knowledgeable information, discussions and some humor. I don't understand why everyone who participates on this site, asks questions, posts or responds is not a Contributor. There are individuals here who have been Members for many years and have posted hundreds, some thousands, of times and still have not chosen to financially support this fantastic site. What are you waiting for? The minimum buy in is only $6.00, an unbelievable bargain for sure, many of us choose to contribute significantly more. Pony up folks!

Neither Keith nor anyone connected with SMC knows I am posting this and may choose to delete this. It is my personal opinion only.
    Well you really have not thought this out. I have been a contributor for more years then you have been a member. I was donating back when a bunch of guys just started asking for donations on our own, before PayPal, had to send a check. So you need to get off your high horse rather than trying to belittle folks
    In my case my health took a sudden downturn about a year and a half ago. I am now having to pay for about all work that needs done around my house, even mowing the lawn. My medicare does not cover all my expenses and my part D does not cover all my cost. I am still just trying to figure out how much I need to live on.
    There is nothing wrong with asking or reminding people about the added benefits of becoming a contributor It's just I take offense at your attempt at shaming me because I have not donated for the past year and a half.
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

a. I swore off membership of anything after 30 years of church, the consequences of which I still have to deal with daily.
    b. I never do transactions on line - I would rather go without. It hasn't killed me yet.
    c. I'm here to offer wood working knowledge for free, not for what I can get. I don't have any apprentices to train anymore and have no-one else especially interested in what I know so I picked this forum.
    It's a tough life. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

No doubt, you mean well.

If SMC wants everyone to be a contributor, simply make the site for paid-up members only.

Simon

Wow. I contribute because I have found this site to be very helpful, and at this point in my life I can afford to make a small monetary contribution.

I receive much more knowledge here than I add, and thus am happy to throw something into the collection plate.

I notice and appreciate the regular posters who add so much to this community. If they’re not “contributors,” I’m not bothered in the least; their time and knowledge IS their contribution. I am, however, bothered a bit by those who post only to be contrary, or to quibble over little details.
    Last edited by Mike Trent; 12-12-2017 at 12:17 AM.

Ya know, I just don't understand it either.
    For 6 little dollars a year, people can get access to the SMC Lear Jet, the SMC Loge seating @ the Super Bowl & World Series & NBA Playoffs, 50 yard line seats @ The Rose Bowl, and the SMC private beach & beach house in Tahiti....

Which reminds me....Keith, if you poke your head in here - - I need the Lear jet in Feb for my birthday...
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

Quote Originally Posted by andrew whicker View Post
    I can pose for a woodworking themed nude contributors' only calendar shoot if it helps. We just need 11 more.
    Make it ten 'cause I am IN!
    I was once a woodworker, I still am I'm just saying that I once was.

Chop your own wood, it will warm you twice. -Henry Ford

I contribute because I went back and read an ancient thread describing how SMC nearly had to shut down when Keith's ISP was having a tough go of it. Decided that for me personally, $10 per year was worth it to keep SMC up and running. My view doesn't mean everyone else has to agree though.

Have a good day folks.
    Fred

Edit: I'm in for the calendar too. Now we only need 9 more!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by andrew whicker View Post
    Yikes, with that mental image I'm scarred for life. Tell you what, if you don't make the calendar I'll double my monthly contribution.

If I just browsed the forum on occasion I might not feel the desire to contribute but I've gotten so much out of it that for me, contributing is just the right thing to do. I'd hate to try to log in one day and discover the an "out of business" sign from lack of funds. Yikes.

JKJ

I can't figure out how the word about the SMC jet got out. That's for mods only. Same with the yacht.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I just heard about a 6 year old kid somewhere who has a you tube channel doing reviews of new toys and he is making $11 million this year. Its time that SMC start reaping the benefit of all the 'free' tool reviews that everyone does here.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    I just heard about a 6 year old kid somewhere who has a you tube channel doing reviews of new toys and he is making $11 million this year. Its time that SMC start reaping the benefit of all the 'free' tool reviews that everyone does here.
    Or, as Fine Woodworking does, create a premium content section in SMC for paid-up members (or contributors as they are known here).

Simon

I think if we are able to monetize the "Please, for the love of God, don't put out that calendar" campaign we will have all the money we could ever need.
    Chuck

Rich can we share the Jet. my Bdays in Feb too

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Ya know, I just don't understand it either.
    For 6 little dollars a year, people can get access to the SMC Lear Jet, the SMC Loge seating @ the Super Bowl & World Series & NBA Playoffs, 50 yard line seats @ The Rose Bowl, and the SMC private beach & beach house in Tahiti....

Which reminds me....Keith, if you poke your head in here - - I need the Lear jet in Feb for my birthday...
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander