Thread: Special paint for fiber laser ?

Special paint for fiber laser ?

Hi All,

I was looking at this video and noticed they mentioned "laser color paint" in order to make that panel. Does anyone know if you get such a special paint for fiber lasers, so you can remove the dark paint layers, but leave the white layer untouched ? Is it something to do with the pulse or frequency of the laser ? Thanks

Blog Entries
    I would imagine, based on my limited experience, it is combination of the paint, (probably not that special just will laser off well) I have a dickens of a time lasering thru heavy spray paint, and the setup of laser, power/frequency/speed, everything. I'd be you could duplicate with some work.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Since they're spraying it on plex, it's probably just epoxy...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by John Lifer View Post
    I would imagine, based on my limited experience, it is combination of the paint, (probably not that special just will laser off well) I have a dickens of a time lasering thru heavy spray paint, and the setup of laser, power/frequency/speed, everything. I'd be you could duplicate with some work.
    Hi John,

so it is not that easy to engrave through paint in general or just thick spray paint ?
    on another note, I just ordered a Ray Fine 20W machine. You remember what did you put on your FDA form ? Just the Accession number ?
    Thanks