Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pirate Chest Build - Part 4 done (lots of pics)

Blog Entries
    QUOTE=Chet R Parks;2754115]Mike,
    Your having way to much fun. The coopered top, carvings, inlays and design are truly inspirational. Thanks for taking the time to share your build. BTW the flower arrangements look great and your tenon saw in the second picture did not go unnoticed, beautiful saw. Hope you and your neighbors are staying safe from the fires.
    Chet[/QUOTE]

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____

Chet,

Thanks for your far too kind comments! My wife Sherrie is very "artistic" – she has some kind of weird knack I completely don't understand, for color/shapes/ textures. She's really good at photography, floral design and interior design; probably a big reason why for the first 10 years of our marriage most of my woodworking projects "somehow" never made it into the house, despite my best intentions.

Those early furniture projects always somehow seem to be gifted to friends/family who "you know it doesn't really work for our house, but so-and-so (fill in the blank) I think would really appreciate it". A large percentage of my "shop furniture" today are projects I thought of as "quality furniture" when I built them back in the day, but in reality have ended up in the shop as places to store finishing supplies, camping equipment, etc. In all honesty, I have to admit she's always been right about my projects. Even though I've occasionally submitted projects to juried shows etc. (with no results speak of), it's 100% true her approval to put one of my furniture projects in the house is the highest compliment I could hope for

The shop made backs saw in the picture you mentioned has a "Mexican Kingwood" tote. Probably one of the hardest woods I've ever worked. Although this saw turned out okay, I'm not planning to use that wood again. I'm at an age/physical condition where selecting "hand tool friendly" woods for my projects is the prime directive.

As a native Southern Californian, we've always had fire seasons - not surprising given we live in arid/desert like environment. Even though this past winter was one of the wettest on record, the brush always dries out (it was 76° in San Diego today), and I'm amazed how quickly these wildfires spring up.

I would think in this information age people couldn't be "surprised" by a fire in their area, but it happens all the time here. Couple years ago we were evacuated. Helicopters dropped fire retardant right in our house and 3 houses on our street were burned. I guess is as one of the reasons my boys are always nagging me to add some kind of "news alert" to my phone so we don't get caught by surprise. I guess my old school approach of just looking for the smoke on the horizon is not a very effective strategy.

I hope you've been enjoying a nice fall season up your way. Always great to hear from you.

Best, Mike

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    Amazing work! I love that miter saw, by the way. Also the shells are well done, and I will tell you in advance I am going to pirate that shell handle idea.

Overall, I give this two thumbs... arrrr... make that one thumb and one hook up!
    __________________________________________________ ______________________

Malcolm,

Thanks your kind, piratical comments (anytime you can work "arrrrh make that one thumb and one hook up" into a conversation you're definitely channeling Capt. Morgan!).

BTW, I really enjoyed your earlier pictures of you and an adorable young lady in pirate gear – nice! I always enjoy your posts and hope your recovery from the hurricane is progressing.

All the best, Mike

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Looks more like a retirement gift for an admiral who saved Western civilization ! But the design might get pirated.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________
    Mel, I see what you're doing here – "design might get pirated..." – well played my friend, well played !

As to admirals who could be said to have saved Western civilization I nominate Chester W. Nimitz, Commander-In-Chief US Pacific Fleet 1941 – 1945 who led the successful battles Coral Sea, Midway, and the Island hopping campaign through the Solomons Islands cross Pacific towards Japan and ultimately signed for the United States during the Japanese surrender board US Missouri on December 2, 1945.

I'm no historian, but as a Navy veteran, I'd say he surely deserves better than this simple chest. Sorry if this is too political for SMC.

All the best, Mike

Blog Entries
    Thanks everyone for your gracious comments. You're far too kind. I'm so grateful for the SMC community – I've learned far more than I've ever contributed. I am glad this post is of interest to my fellow Neanders.

Brian, Ron, Ken – I'm a big fan of your work and and avid reader of your websites. I'm still waiting for the 3 of you to work together to create my dream TV channel covering: Mexican food, flying, beautiful hand tools and Asian woodworking techniques. Come on boys I know you can do it!

Cheers, Mike

Chest looks GREAT! Sooooo, what is the next project?