Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendation for variable speed angle grinder

Recommendation for variable speed angle grinder

Need to replace 3 broken 4" x 4" x 16" concrete blocks (also called cinder blocks or hollow concrete blocks). Figured the easiest way is to buy a variable speed angle grinder and a diamond masonry cutting blade and cut along the grout lines.

Any recommendations for a variable speed angle grinder that can use type-1 flat cut-off blades? Budget is about $150. For safety using cut-off blades, I believe that a cut-off blade guard is required (in addition to the normal grinding blade guard). So need for a cut-off blade guard to come with the angle grinder or be available as an option from the manufacturer.

PS: I will be buying an ANSI approved safety goggles and I already have a full face shield and dust masks.
    Last edited by mike sato; 12-13-2017 at 6:04 AM.

Just curious, but why do you need variable speed? Seems like every time I’ve used an angle grinder I’ve needed it to be full speed. Just asking because it could save you some money. I’ve been happy with a $20 harbor freight one.

I second the vote for Harbor Freight grinders. Cheap and just as durable as much more expensive ones. Who cares if concrete dust kills your $20 grinder?
    I think you might have trouble finding a variable speed grinder. I'm not familiar with any. That being said, there are variable speed polishers out there. I have 2 of them I use with concrete furniture and countertops. They aren't nearly as durable as a grinder ( a more complicated switch, maybe?). They are also a bit more expensive and the selection is more limited.

Hitachi makes a variable speed 4 1/2" angle grinder. It has a brushless motor and is around $180-190.

Ive used it with polishing pads/high grits pads for polishing natural stone tile.

I've cut plenty of block with a cutting wheel, and I'm not sure why you'd want variable speed for that task.

I have been perfectly happy with my ridgid, we have cut flag stone, tile, concrete and metal with it. I think i would be happy with any of the major brands though. I do prefer the "slim grip" of my model.

HF is certainly cheaper if you don't think you will use it a bunch.

also not sure you need VS for this application.

rent, then you won't be stuck storing something you'll never use again, and the quality will be better.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

I think Harbor Freight has killed off a lot of the tool renting places. No paper work ,and I would rather have lower grade brand new than dogged, broken high grade.

Unless you are planning on re-using the blocks I'd use a cold chisel. I see no need in using a grinder.
    Simply chisel the grout line and bust the blocks that need to be removed with a hammer.

If you're set on VS, the one to get IMHO is the Makita 9565CV. The task at hand doesn't really require VS but maybe others you have down the line will. It's the model a lot of granite countertop installers around here have used for years.

For one job buy HF and also by the $20 HF variable speed box. This allows variable speed of any ac/dc motor including routers, drills, grinders.
    Bill D

I would agree that you dont need VS but I cant agree with the HF. I just cant stand the stuff but to each his own. That said, if your wanting to invest in a grinder the VS is very very nice. As already mentioned it opens you up to being able to do slow speed polishing, disc sanding, small diameter core drilling, and so on. Super handy. Im an advocate of buying the most quality you can afford and is reasonable for the intended use. If HF is the budget so be it but Ive had my hands on a bit of that stuff and it leaves miles to be desired when you get your hands on a decently made tool. I get sick from the smell just driving by the place lol.

I would choose the handwork route, I've done it many times. Clean out the mortar joint with one of these sort

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bon-Tool...-302903206-_-N

Then break out the block with a narrow brick chisel. Do not use a nail hammer, wrong temper, use a drilling or mechanics hammer.

13. Cheap angle grinders lead to carpal tunnel syndrome, cubital tunnel syndrome, and damage to the basal joint in the thumb. I have had three of those surgeries in the past year. If you need to use an angle grinder for any reason, go with a higher end metabo or fein. The German made high quality units have anti vibration damping designed in.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace Brooks View Post
    Cheap angle grinders lead to carpal tunnel syndrome, cubital tunnel syndrome, and damage to the basal joint in the thumb. I have had three of those surgeries in the past year. If you need to use an angle grinder for any reason, go with a higher end metabo or fein. The German made high quality units have anti vibration damping designed in.
    And exactly how much use will it take to remove a couple of blocks? When we do a block cut /removal indoors, we use a small dust collector blower to collect grinding dust, and pipe it outdoors. Been using the same B&D Industrial 4 1/2 angle grinder since 1978.

15. Since 1978... Then you must be the role model for this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8UO4jquAlY