Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recommendation for variable speed angle grinder

had a Makita and when it stopped got another while I was buying the second one they put new brushes in the first one. Second one is vari speed I pick it up 90 percent of the time. if its delicate stuff it will do less damage I dont always need the thing running full blast and prefer to dial in what I want. Used it lots of times with a quarter inch diamond wheel even taking mortar out between bricks carefully.

Thanks all for your comments.

I visited a local hardware store and it carried Bosch, Dewalt, Makita, Skill and Rockwell angle grinders.

Bosch: Really didn't like the on/off switch. Rather difficult to switch on. (not VS)
    Dewalt: OK but on/off switch not as easy as Makita. (not VS)
    Makita: 9564CV and 9565CV are VS but rather heavy with large circumference grip.
    Makita: GA4530 lighter with small circumference grip. On/off switch easy to operate. Liked the feel of this one the best. (not VS)
    Skill & Rockwell: Not so interested in either one, especially since I liked the feel of the Makita GA4530.

TWO QUESTIONS:

1. The Makita GA4530 is a low power angle grinder at 6 amps, 11,000 rpm. Any opinions on a 6 amp angle grinder? (Not only for my job on hand but for use later too.)

2. The Makita GA4530 does not come with a cut-off wheel guard. None of the angle grinders (even on Amazon) come with a cut-off wheel guard except for the Makita 9557PBX1 kit. They all come with the half guard for grinding wheels. I've read that the owner's manual for some angle grinders specifically say to NOT use cut-off wheels and I assume that's because they don't come with a cut-off wheel guard. Is that right?

Initially wanted a variable speed grinder but settled on a constant speed grinder. I ordered a 4-1/2", Makita 9557PBX1 angle grinder with aluminum case, 5 grinding wheels and 1 diamond cut off wheel for $79.99. There's a promo on amazon for select Makita tools, $25 off $100 or more purchase + $12 off Makita tools purchased from amazon. The grinder was $79.99 so I added a Makita T-01426 2 Piece Carbide-Tipped Saw Blade Set, 6-1/2" for $22.99. A $102.98 value for $65.98. This made the 2 saw blades free with the grinder at $65.98.

Good sale on select Makita tools on amazon until 12/31/17.

Grinder link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Saw blades link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Click either link to see the Makita promotions. If anyone needs a Makita tool, check out the amazon promo,
    Mike